Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

54 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Let's Have Our Own Referendum Now!, Should Scotland Be An Independent Country?
*Guest*
post 16th Oct 2012, 05:01am
Post #31

You should have to be a citizen and on the voter's list in your district in Scotland- I don't think anyone else should have a say. j. macnab, canada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beth
post 16th Oct 2012, 05:04am
Post #32

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
I do not believe ex-pats of any country should be allowed to vote in the country they left. We chose to leave, for whatever reason, and any political decisions made will not affect us. We do not pay taxes in Britain and except for paying our pension, cos we always thought and still do think, that we would move back home, have had no input whatsoever. So, what right do we have in the decision making.

As for 16 and 17 year olds being able to vote, I do not agree with that. At that age I think their vote would be based on emotions and that is not a good thing. When I was 16 and 17 I was standing out in the rain handing out SNP posters cos I was in love with the idea of a free Scotland. It was nothing to do with politics or what would be good for Scotland, it was just a romantic idea and I loved being part of that scene

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 16th Oct 2012, 07:16am
Post #33

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
I an for,all of Scotland,and yes I say ex pats have choices too.I live in Canada I am still A scot,s too. I will never change my status,give up my country it is my right,I payed Taxes and never took my pension,it will stay there all for Bonnie Scotland, it helps children who need funds for A better education wisdom for A better future.Adults too in need.So you see there maybe seats for Scottish Independence.This is my choice.I do hope for many more to keep fighting YEEEEEEEES

+Quote Post
gordymac
post 16th Oct 2012, 07:36am
Post #34

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,537
No, expats should not be allowed to vote. Registered voters only.

+Quote Post
Heat
post 16th Oct 2012, 07:49am
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,289
No, only those who reside in Scotland should vote. Btw does anyone know big Sean Connery still has a home here(I can see a great big home coming for 2014 rolleyes.gif )?

+Quote Post
runningrocker
post 16th Oct 2012, 07:58am
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,208
As a proud nation, we the Scots need to stop and think for a minute,
whyis London so set against Scotland becoming an independant counrty?

Sure;y is Scotland was such the liability and drain on the resources of Great Britain as it is made out to be by the press, the media and the so called government itself, then surely London and the rest of GB would want to get rid of us as quickly as possible.

The reason they dont want to get rid of us is because Scotland has to much to of GB in the way of Electricity, Water, Gas, Oil, Petrolium Spirit and its derivitives, income from Whisky sales IRN BRU exports (yes its only a soft drink but exports to other countries is on the rise and not just for the ex-pats living there), good fishing grounds wheremuch of GB's exported fish derives (If London lose that again they lose income) and thats only th ones I know about ther is bount to be other industries bring in much income which at the moment is going to purse GB but purse Scotland doesnt benefit from.

Another reason is defence, London is dis-arming all of the scottish regiments in favour of keeping the english regements, if Scotland were independant then we would be able to keep all of our own historic and great military regements as wellas one of the best military fighting forces in the world.

Cpme on Scotland be a nation again, cme together and rise to the challenge in front of us so that we may continue the fight that Wallace and Bruce started many years ago rather than let london strip us, rape us and throw us to the side lines.

If the Isle of Mann can be independant (Yes they are independant you need to get a work permit etc to work in IOM, or permission to go and live there etc, they are in the strictest sence of the word independnat making all their own laws, having their own banks:different entierly from the way Scotland has its own banks as they are still governed by the bank of enngland IOM banks are not.). If they can we can.

Just think about what I said, why does Londan wanht to hang on to Scotland so much if we are the supposed bain, drain and pain in their econemy? Its not because they feel sorry for us its because we offer so much to the econemy in return we become the GB wasteland.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 16th Oct 2012, 08:12am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
While I am in general agreement with your post, I question why you are making a point (wrongly) about the spelling of whisky. Scotch (and usually Canadian whisky) is spelt without an "e", but Irish (and normally American) whiskey has the "e". unsure.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
runningrocker
post 16th Oct 2012, 08:15am
Post #38

Unpacking
QUOTE (beth @ 16th Oct 2012, 06:19am) *
As for 16 and 17 year olds being able to vote, I do not agree with that. At that age I think their vote would be based on emotions and that is not a good thing. When I was 16 and 17 I was standing out in the rain handing out SNP posters cos I was in love with the idea of a free Scotland. It was nothing to do with politics or what would be good for Scotland, it was just a romantic idea and I loved being part of that scene

I have to disagree with you there and all who say that those at 16 and 17 should not get the vote, after all at 16 you can go into the armed forces and be trained to start defending the country in which you live, at 17 you after basic training, which can be anything from 8 weeks to months depending upon the regiment you join, go to war, why should these people defend a country in which they have no say in how it is run?

So at 16 and above you can legaly get married (parents concent neede)
at 17 married no consent needed own choice
at 16 you can drive certain vehicle both on and off the road with the proper licience
at 17 drive a car and in the military an HGV or LGV as they are called now
at 16 leave school get a job and pay taxes to help the country run

So at 16 and 17 people have to make a legal contribution and effort to help sustain as well as even protect the country they live in but they cant have a say in how its run, wrong,

You talk about emotional voting, their are many out there at years past 16 and 17 who vot emotionally, or vote the way they did years ago which was based on the way their family voted.
I at 16 and 17 they are being treated as adults for crime, driving and armed forces etc they they must be treated like adults for voting rights as well, equality is what we are after and through independance that is what we will get, not the narrow minded thinking of London.

we need to stop treating them like children for one thing and adults for another its no wonder children/young adults are so pissed off with the world these days, we tell you to do this, we tell you to do that, but you aint getting a say, thats the way your parents and teachers brought you up through your young childhood years, like a child.

Allow votes for 16 and 17 year olds or raise the age for joining the militry to 18, the age for paying taxes to 18, the age for driving to 18 and continue to pay out child benefit till they are 18 and legal to vote.
we cant have it both ways.....

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 16th Oct 2012, 08:18am
Post #39

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
Is Scotland unique in the world in being a country unable to make its own decisions and manage its own affairs? The natural state for any country is Independence. Otherwise we are continuously subject to the governments elected by the larger constituency of another country. This consistently gives us a cycle of Tory and Labour administrations, both vying for the middle England vote, and Tory administrations are thereby guaranteed for Scotland in the future. Labour proposes that Tory 50% of the time is better than Scotland making its own decisions.

All of our Corporation tax, VAT, income tax and NI flows to Westminster. There, following the deduction of transaction costs (expenses and commissions included), decisions are made in London about how our money will be spent (take Trident, don't want London as a target, come and fight in Iraq too, £35 billion black hole in the defence budget!). Then some of our tax is returned to Scotland for our disposal. This is completeley inefficient and a waste of our money.

As we create our own economic and administrative arrangements, the big companies will invest heavily in Scotland to get a share of the big infrastructure projects that the Scottish government will be free to pursue, and our capital will be a real international capital.

Just some of the reasons I'll be voting YES to Scotland's Independence.

+Quote Post
runningrocker
post 16th Oct 2012, 08:22am
Post #40

Unpacking
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 16th Oct 2012, 09:27am) *
While I am in general agreement with your post, I question why you are making a point (wrongly) about the spelling of whisky. Scotch (and usually Canadian whisky ) is spelt without an "e", but Irish (and normally American ) whiskey has the "e". unsure.gif

Sorrry my mistake sad.gif, I know I was in mid conversation about whiskey spelling with an American friend and actually typed what I was sayin to them. I have gone back and corrected this terrible mistake and I thank you for correcting me.

I also thank you for your support and agreement smile.gif

RR

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 16th Oct 2012, 08:33am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I was just sitting reading, Rob Roy (1817) by Sir Walter Scott when I came across this incredible quote,"When we had a Scotch Parliament,Pate,says I, (AND DEIL RAX THEIR THRAPPLES THAT REFT US O`T) they sat dousely down and made laws for a haill country and kinrick.
I think I know how Sir Walter would vote in the referendum although I think his view on the Parcel of Rogues is a bit extreme. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
*Tam O'Shafter*
post 16th Oct 2012, 08:39am
Post #42

Most of us paid our dues and taxes probably before many younger voters were born. Most probably lived in Scotland longer than you. Our fathers and many of us served in the armed forces of the country. Many were in proud Scottish regiments. Does it make us any less Scottish that many like myself lived in other countries. Does a person who has made their life south of the border have any less right to vote for independence. England is to my mind, always has been a foreign country. Or is it that posterity has granted to you a special dispensation to be more Scottish than the rest of us?

I am speaking as a direct descendant of Ian McKean of the McDonald. And this I must add gives me no special status than those Scots of Saxon, Norwegian, Norman, Irish or even Pakistani origin

+Quote Post
*Les*
post 16th Oct 2012, 08:51am
Post #43

I think it is important to remember that the vote is to be cast based on the voter's residential status rather than birth. So, 'Scottishness' doesn't come in to it. Anyone eligible to vote in a UK election can get a vote in the referendum simply by moving to Scotland. Any ex-pat can make use of this trick if they can afford to. I wonder how your poll will reflect the fact that anyone with access can take part; even ex-pats like me living in England. Of course it is clear that most English based voters would vote to eject the Scots from the Union.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 16th Oct 2012, 08:54am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
Dormant Members - ARISE! (Even if only to vote) thumbup.gif

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 16th Oct 2012, 08:55am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
INDEPENDENCE v's DEPENDENCE. The yes vote is the only way for me.

Scotland would have a great future in renewable energies if only the fossil fuel energy companies would allow it. They are the ones who stand to lose out if we choose to take our power from the wind, the sea, hydro or the seldom seen sun. There has to be middle ground where we can use oil, gas and renewables. That only leaves the outmoded nuclear power industry out in the cold.

+Quote Post

54 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.