Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1389 Pages V  « < 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
carmella
post 11th Oct 2017, 09:52am
Post #20701

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Good for you Bill, I'm glad you got that off your chest - it doesn't take much to draw you out. thumbup.gif

I do know what I'm talking about incidentally!

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 11th Oct 2017, 10:17am
Post #20702

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (carmella @ 11th Oct 2017, 11:52am) *
Good for you Bill, I'm glad you got that off your chest - it doesn't take much to draw you out. thumbup.gif

I do know what I'm talking about incidentally!

Don't tell me, show me, as long as it's not about English grammar, haha! tongue.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 11th Oct 2017, 09:53pm
Post #20703

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (carmella @ 11th Oct 2017, 08:51am) *
Oh yes, and the Glasgow Train goes through Beith but maybe Jagz doesn't like the train - just saying sign_lol.gif

Post # 20693
Jagz is a very honoured man as he has not come under fire from Bilbo.s about his use of "they're" in said post.

I'm sorry carmella, i'm not used to you replying to my posts, what is it you want to know?

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 11th Oct 2017, 11:35pm
Post #20704

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
I'm looking forward to Natpower ltd, if it ever happens it will surely put all the other companies
out of business i.e. effectively nationalisation without costing a penny in compensation!!
Of course if the Robin Hood experiment fails Natpower will probably never get off the starting
'grid'

+Quote Post
carmella
post 12th Oct 2017, 08:20am
Post #20705

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 11th Oct 2017, 10:53pm) *
I'm sorry carmella, i'm not used to you replying to my posts, what is it you want to know?

Hi Jagz, you are quite right I don't respond too well to you at all, or your wee pal Bilbo.s. If, however, I do want to ask you something directly then I shall.

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 12th Oct 2017, 09:09am
Post #20706

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 11th Oct 2017, 09:57am) *
Oh dear, Carmella, have you been on the "dandelion & burdock" this early in the day?

"They're" is a contraction of "they are" and is thus quite correctly employed by Jagz. Perhaps you failed Higher English, if indeed you got that far.

As for Shettleston, you are wrong again, as I was not born there. Nevertheless, during my time there I never resorted to foul language. Its usage only became necessary in later years when I encountered a certain type of person. Once more you show your snooty tendencies in your view of Shettleston, a far from idyllic suburb in my day, but certainly superior to some slum-ridden quarters I have seen. Sadly I cannot claim that it has improved nowadays.

As is your wont (want?) you enter a topic, purely to spread your dubious charm around and to cause trouble , with no contribution to the topic. I hesitated before responding to your bilious post but it was so full of inaccuracies I felt it was necessary.

It is simply a question of perception. I don't know you and you don't know me, therefore, I cannot like or dislike you Bilbo.s. Like me, you go simply by what you see expressed by me and others on here in forming your opinion of people.

I don't like or dislike you, but I dislike the way you treat people who post on this and other threads, when you try to demean them. This tells me you are a man with problems.

I don't need to add anything further to the thread because I gave my opinion on the Independence of Scotland many pages back.

I already think the topic has gone far and beyond what it should have. I will repeat it for you and anyone else who is interested mine was a NO vote for Scottish Indy and I'd vote the same way if we had a second referendum.

For Jags to say ''they're'' and for you to explain it to me is an example of your arrogance, but we are talking about transport. I personally would have said “there are” bus, taxi &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; cycle lanes." If I was talking about people, I would have expressed it differently. I would not have said “they are bus, taxi &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; cycle lanes." You split hairs all the time.

I feel sorry for you Bilbo.s because I think you have a huge chip on your shoulder. It is sad that someone who states they attended University, [one assumes you finished] did not end up in a highly paid job that provided him with a good enough pension to live here. Having retired when I was 53, I can more than afford to live here as I have an excellent pension, as well as the State Pension, but I was in a highly paid job.

My husband's cousin was an Accountant and had a very nice life; he still lives here and is very comfortable. He has a holiday home in Spain which he uses as does his wider family. You said you could not afford "the luxury" of living here on your pension which after many years of working is so sad. It seems to be the case with many retirees who leave these shores. These days you are probably more interested in the costs of living in Spain and Spanish inheritance laws. The good thing is that the food is cheap.

You also stated that you went to live in Spain because of your wife's health, so I think you contradict yourself. There is nothing wrong with you going to Spain because you like the sun and the heat. Thousands of people do, it is a choice they make. I personally don't like heat so I prefer cooler climes, each to their own.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 12th Oct 2017, 11:16am
Post #20707

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 12th Oct 2017, 09:20am) *
Hi Jagz, you are quite right I don't respond too well to you at all, or your wee pal Bilbo.s. If, however, I do want to ask you something directly then I shall.

Well since you mentioned me indirectly i'll show you some respect and answer you directly, yes i do like travelling by train, but it doesn't as you think "goes through Beith" it passes by Beith and stops at Glengarnock (about two mile away) and as the last train is at 23.45pm even if i were to catch it there is no bus connection at that time and the local taxi driver has long gone to bed and not being as young as i once was walking a dark country road no longer appeals to me.

Just Saying. sign_lol.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 12th Oct 2017, 05:37pm
Post #20708

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 11th Oct 2017, 11:35pm) *
I'm looking forward to Natpower ltd, if it ever happens it will surely put all the other companies
out of business i.e. effectively nationalisation without costing a penny in compensation!!
Of course if the Robin Hood experiment fails Natpower will probably never get off the starting
'grid'

While a non profit organisation sounds good, if it costs a crap load of tax payers money to set up and is inefficient then it may not be financially beneficial to the public.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
carmella
post 12th Oct 2017, 05:43pm
Post #20709

Mega City Key Holder
Well Jagz when I’m wrong I shall apologize. Trains do not stop at Beith and to be honest I cannot recall if they ever did. I don’t think you’re too old as you are exactly the same age as my wee brother, but I also know he would not fancy a walk from Lockwinnoch if he lived in Beith either. He lives in Dalry.

I have not been to Glasgow on any form of transport since February 2010, despite loving concerts and shopping in Glasgow to go now is just not possible as I can’t leave my husband as long as it would take.

I hope you have noticed I am replying directly to you. Just saying. clap.gif sign_sorry.gif sign_lol.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 12th Oct 2017, 08:38pm
Post #20710

Mega City Key Holder
Apology accepted carmella. thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 12th Oct 2017, 09:04pm
Post #20711

Mega City Key Holder
More taxes by the looks of things to come. Just this week we've heard of a possible 3% council tax rises for the next three years (after this years 3% and the +7.5% SNP bedroom tax) 300 redundancies, education budget cut and pupil support assistants scrapped, road maintenance and community wardens reduced . But hey it's all good though, the cooncil have to employ more nursery staff to meet SG targets
I think that the SNP need to cut some of their freebies otherwise expect a lot of losses come the next holyrood election.

Scottish tax rises "inevitable" but not enough says MacAskill

TAX rises for Scots are “inevitable”, former SNP cabinet minister Kenny MacAskill has said.

The former Justice Secretary said it was now “simply a question of how much and upon whom they will fall”, and forecast the middle classes were likeliest to be hit.

But he also warned it was hard to see how a tax rise could “shore up the current services, never mind allow for expansion of new ones”.

He suggested “a strategic retreat” from some areas was needed through cuts or reform.

Nicola Sturgeon recently called for a cross-party debate on more “progressive” taxes in 2018/19, signalling that all rates of income tax could potentially change.

SNP ministers are also considering whether extra tax bands could be created.

Scots are currently taxed at 20p in the pound above the £11,500 allowance, then at 40p for earnings above £43,000, with top earners paying 45p for any salary above £150,000.

In a newspaper article, Mr MacAskill, who quit cabinet when Ms Sturgeon became First Minister in late 2014, suggested middle income taxpayers were likely to be hit most.

He said “punitive taxes on the rich, even if popular, won’t work and could even be counterproductive”.

Referring to the First Minister, he said: “It seems that she’s setting the scene for middle earners to pay more. That’s understandable and right.

“The Scottish middle class can’t expect the universal services they mainly benefit from without paying for them.

“In all likelihood it will be a re-run of Alex Salmond’s call in 1999 for a penny for Scotland.”

Adding 1p to all income tax bands would raise around £500m extra, but would break an SNP manifesto commitment not to raise the basic 20p rate.

Before the 2016 Holyrood election, the party insisted: “The basic rate of tax will not be increased at any point in the next Parliament if an SNP government is re-elected.”

Mr MacAskill said voter satisfaction with public services was declining, and with it people’s satisfaction with the First Minister.

He went on: “More just can’t be done with less or even the same. Until a strategic retreat is made from some areas of expenditure or savings made through reform, then the creaks and groans from overburdened and under-resourced public services will only increase.

“Yet, it’s on that that both the Scottish Government and Nicola Sturgeon will be judged.”

He said that promising new services at the SNP conference while failing to deliver on other essential services posed “a danger for her and her administration”.

He said: “Neither she nor the SNP are in control of the major issue that affects them in Brexit. They just need to await the outcome and be ready to move thereafter [on the issue of a second independence referendum].

“In the interim they need to maintain the credible and competent administration that saw them elected in the first place.

“That’s the priority and the dangers for her now lie there, not in the constitution.”

LibDem MSP Alex Cole-Hamilton said: “The SNP need to make up their mind where they stand on taxation. Last month they abstained in Parliament on a vote calling for modest increases in taxation to properly fund public services. It is time they got off the fence.”

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Oct 2017, 08:03am
Post #20712

Mega City Key Holder
Let's see if I've got this straight (probably not!).

John was in favour of independence, but not SNP's policy of remaining/joining EU.

Due to SNP's policy, John no longer wants independence, although he thinks that Scotland has no chance of remaining in EU.

Although John was previously an SNP voter, he criticizes many of their policies, apart from their stance on EU.

If Scotland were independent, John and other voters would be able to influence decisions by democratic means.

John wants to remain tied to UK, as he knows their EU policy and agrees with it.

I wonder what Janet makes of it all?

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 13th Oct 2017, 11:24am
Post #20713

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 12th Oct 2017, 10:04pm) *
I think that the SNP need to cut some of their freebies otherwise expect a lot of losses come the next holyrood election.

I would have thought that would have you dancing with joy John. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 13th Oct 2017, 07:48pm
Post #20714

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 13th Oct 2017, 11:24am) *
I would have thought that would have you dancing with joy John. unsure.gif

I've actually became quite indifferent to whoever gets in as chances are I'll agree/disagree with their policies on an issue per issue basis. It is true that I voted for the SNP and argued for their case for a long time but that was because I thought they would be different, some years in power, and certainly since Sturgeon took over, they have shown themselves to be just as bad as the others but with that extra chip on their shoulders. Just recently we've had them 'take' Glasgow having fought against a 'jobs for the boys' regime, yet what happens is that a top cooncil job is handed to an ex SNP councillor and pal of the SNP leader. Of course we are told it was all above board, yeah right, not only are they hypocrites but they take the public for bloody mugs.
Today i have read that SNP ministers used 7 Scottish government vehicles as taxis to pick them up from their Perth manifesto launch in May and take them back to Edinburgh. A manifesto launch is not public business and it is up to them, or their party to pay for party business and its expenses, not the public! Remember the hoohaa over David McLetchie claiming for taxis between holyrood and his work as Tory leader, that cost him his job but this time the SNP excuse it away.. what bloody rubbish and I bet there was no boundary charge for them either

Also today we hear of the chip i was talking of. Humza Yousaf is whinging that the £3.6 billion given to the SG to fund the railways is not nearly enough to carry out the SNP's wishlist. It's no fair shouts Humza, we were gonnae get aw this cash, build a couple of stations, improve punctuality and then rub it into 'the English' that we were better than them but now the buggers have changed the funding to the Barnett formula so we cant do that. That HS2 will ensure a bumper funding package due to that same barnett formula is lost on him.

At every turn the SNP have been given chance after chance to prove statesmanship (or even stateswumminship), yet they blow it every time with whinging and whining. As someone who has spent almost their whole adulthood voting for them I am disappointed, Scotland deserves better and I say that for all the charlatans in Holyrood.
A few weeks ago i was reading a similarly disappointed Scottish voter, Sturgeon has to go was their choice, the problem he/she said was who have the SNP got to replace her unsure.gif
Can you imagine the selection process, it would be like a series of the Apprentice with Sturgeon in Alan Sugars chair firing the complete idiots and whittling down the numbers till there's only one idiot left.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Oct 2017, 08:51pm
Post #20715

Mega City Key Holder
Methinks in his last paragraph that John is confusing getting rid of Theresa.

That apart, it seems that he is now admitting that the only party worthy of his vote will have to meet with his approval on every single issue, a tall order.

--------------------

+Quote Post

1389 Pages V  « < 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.