Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Co-operative Stores, shopping
Rabbie
post 21st Aug 2006, 11:03pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Oh, this is a trip doon memory lane fur me, and I am sure someane will pit me right if I a wrang:)

At one time, did the Co-op no gie ye a book and yer goat stamps to lick and stick in the book, the amount of stamps given was based on what you spent?

You filled the book up, when full it was tendered as *cash* against whatever you bought. I am no sure what the value was, might have been a poond or mair.

Seemed to take ages to fill.

Love to hear more on this!

Mony Thanks.

Rabbie:)

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 22nd Aug 2006, 01:29am
Post #32

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
sumac mentioned the co-op in Parson Street.

I used to do their deliveries on a Saturday morning. No van, I might add. I had a wheeled cart and I humped the boxes up the tenement stairs.

Everybody I delivered to gave me a tip, no matter how badly or well off they were. I particularly remember a Mrs. Mc Cafferty who lived in Parson St. She always had a huge order and always gave me two half crowns. This was a lot of money in the 50's.

The manager of the store was Frank Mulholland and he and his his wife Jessie [who also worked in the shop] lived in Taylor street.

I don't remember the details of the dividend scheme but I do remember it was a big day for my mother when it was time to collect.

We didn't have a lot in terms of material things but we had a community.

We also had "jungle telegraph". If I did anything wrong, my mother always seemed to know about it by the time I got home.

+Quote Post
anne
post 22nd Aug 2006, 08:40am
Post #33

City Key Holder
Member No.: 35
Hi to all, I worked in the co-op in Pollok and met my future Mother-in -law there but didn't meet Iain untill 5 yrs later, but she remembered me as I had Green hair when I worked there. the co-op also catered our wedding.

Anne Perth Aussieland cool.gif

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jun 2012, 09:32pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (Luceo @ 4th Nov 2005, 02:35am) *
The Co-Op store in Morrison Street was the head office of the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society (SCWS).

It closed sometime in the late Sixties and had a number of uses before being finally converted to flats in the Eighties.

The building has quite an interesting history and I believe that its design came second in a competition for the design of Glasgow City Chambers. The present city Chambers was the winning design, of course.

Luceo

The morrison street site was originally the head office for all the co-ops but in the 70' part of the main building was converted into a very large store. It was called the the Co-op Hypermarket. It was on two levels with food on the lower level and a huge non food section on the upper level. The levels were connected by unique escalators on which you were able to take your trolley up with you. During my spell there the general manager was Martin Weir and i was the non food manager. The building had a very tall and well known domed tower which towered over the whole area and i remember one afternoon a security officer taking me through all the derelict upper levels of the building (above the hypermarket) and up lots and lots of stairs to the very top of the tower. I recall the terrific views but because of the levels of dilapidation and neglect i was mightily relieved to get back onto terra firma. i left this job and glasgow to work in england but boy oh boy was it an experience

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Jun 2012, 10:07pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Heather @ 4th Nov 2005, 01:59am) *
It was October 1959 I went to the Co-op in Morrison Street.

Snap!
I started my first job on leaving school in the summer of 1959 between the Head Office at Morrison Street and the Stationery Dept at the Co-op Paper Mill in Farme Cross. thumbup.gif

Edit: Oops ... you went to order a pram wub.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
irrie
post 8th Jun 2012, 04:31am
Post #36

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
When my granny sent me for messages i couldnt go anywhere but the coop so she got the divi.

+Quote Post
christine 1955
post 10th Apr 2014, 09:45am
Post #37

Visitor
Member No.: 6,662
I worked in The Kingco supermarket in Shettleston, 1970 I loved that job nice people to work with as well, very fond memories.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.