Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Golspie Street, When did they move Golspie St?
Rating 5 V
*Win*
post 16th Sep 2008, 11:52am
Post #1

Hi there folks - I was born in Golspie St, Govan in 1956 and we moved as part of the slum clearance programme in 1962 (how posh was that?) - to cut a long story short I have recently returned to Scotland and went to Govan for a wee visit. To my surprise Golspie Street seems to have moved.... or is that just my memory?

I have always thought of it being off Langlands Road and located close to Harmony Row. Now it looks as though Golspie Street is the main road with Helen St joining - has it always been like that? Also - I seem to remember a Woolworths store being located in Langlands Road (at the end of Golspie St) that had a wee butcher shop closeby and he always gave the kiddies a slice of corned beef to eat when they were in the shop - Does anyone else remember same?

Used to love the Govan Fair and we returned for a few years in the early 60s to see it even after we had moved.
Best wishes to all - Winnie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 16th Sep 2008, 08:57pm
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
My pal David Carnavan lived in Golspie Street the pawn shop close.

It was just off langlands road.beside hills trust school,which is still there, but not a school. The modern book shop is now an asian store, but they've retained the original name.i went to the wee church there,they had a fine minister in Mr. Orr, joined to the building was Harhill Baths.the church was demolished about two or three years ago,but the baths/steamie was still standing last time i was in the area,although it had been derelict for years. The Woolworths was across the road from the school near the modern bookshop.

However your description of the original location is correct.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post
**Winnie**
post 27th Apr 2010, 10:34am
Post #3

Thanks Boydy, you've put my mind at rest. We left when I was 5 (actually 1961) and as I am the eldest, none of my siblings even remember Govan. It sure made an impression on me as I have never forgotten it and still have a love for the place. We lived at 146 Golspie St., near the park and the baths/steamie.

I thought that I was losing my marbles because I was so sure of the location. Thanks again! Win

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 17th Jun 2010, 02:23pm
Post #4

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
I was also born in 1956. I moved from Greenfield street to Harmony Row in 1962. I went to Harmony Row Infants school then Hills Trust befor moving to Priesthill in 1967 because the street was being demolished. I loved my time living in Govan and I'll never forget the friends l made in the first 10 years of my life, especially David Canavan, David McClure,Andrew Edmonds, and Edward Daniels. Harmony Row isn't there anymore either.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post
**Winnie**
post 24th Jun 2010, 12:55pm
Post #5

Boydy - How's this for strange. 146 Golspie Street was at the corner of Harmony Row and we had a wee shop (think newsagent) next to the close. We moved to Nitshill just up the road from Priesthill - I went to St Anthonys in Govan and then St Bernards in Nitshill. Small world.

+Quote Post
*Marie Barrett*
post 13th Oct 2010, 11:40am
Post #6

Hi there

I know that it's been a long time since you posted this notice but it took me right back! I lived at number 27 Golspie Street (in fact I was born there). I remember getting the slice of corned beef at the butchers and going to "Mary's" for sweets.

I too was born in 1956 - didnt quite reach school but we moved to South Nitsill when I was 4 and I went to St Bernards!

Small World!

smile.gif

+Quote Post
**winnie**
post 15th Jun 2012, 08:23am
Post #7

Hi Marie, Don't recall your name at the moment but we did have a few 'Maries' at St Bernards! As it's been two years since you posted you may not see this - hope you do. I was in Mrs McDevitt's class at St Bernards for the whole of our school life. We were the only class that didn't change teachers. My pals at school were Mary Condon, Linda Wood, Lyn Scott and May Cannon. The 'biggest' thing that happened in my school life was going to Paris on a school trip when I was 10. Mrs McDevitt's best pal was a teacher called Ms Johnston ....

Hope you see this as there is a good chance that we knew each other at school,

Best Wishes, W wink.gif

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 15th Jun 2012, 12:55pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
hi Marie and Winnie

Ah was reading about where you stayed in golspie street. I was born in Drumoyne but in the fifties and sixties spent a lot of time in govan because my dad had a radio and tv and music shop in shaw street which was just roon the corner from golspie street. The shop was a few doors down from dands clothing shop. I'm not sure of your ages but you might have bought records from it (it was called Jollys) and one of my pals robert marshall his dad had an electricians shop in harmony row

I've not been back to the area for a very long time so i would imagine a lot of it has been knocked down and redeveloped but once a govan boy always a govan boy. My dad and my g/father were born in govan and have lots of great memories of my boyhood and teenage years there

Regards........doug
______

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
filignano
post 20th Dec 2012, 09:30pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,825
I too lived in golspie st until 1964 when our family moved to priesthill.I went to St.Roberts and the Bellarmine. Stayed at number 27 my name was carmichael

+Quote Post
*Dus Stoshious*
post 21st Dec 2012, 10:02am
Post #10

QUOTE (Win @ 16th Sep 2008, 12:09pm) *
Hi there folks - I was born in Golspie St, Govan in 1956 and we moved as part of the slum clearance programme in 1962 (how posh was that?) - to cut a long story short I have recently returned to Scotland and went to Govan for a wee visit. To my surprise Golspie Street seems to have moved.... or is that just my memory?

I have always thought of it being off Langlands Road and located close to Harmony Row. Now it looks as though Golspie Street is the main road with Helen St joining - has it always been like that? Also - I seem to remember a Woolworths store being located in Langlands Road (at the end of Golspie St) that had a wee butcher shop closeby and he always gave the kiddies a slice of corned beef to eat when they were in the shop - Does anyone else remember same?

Used to love the Govan Fair and we returned for a few years in the early 60s to see it even after we had moved.
Best wishes to all - Winnie

The first Woolworths was in Langlands road. I remember it opening and how excited we all were at all the goods being laid out on the counter where you could with very little acquired skill flick them up your sleeve and walk out with a grin. Being a Kaferlick we could always go to confession and be absoluted for oor sins , but it wis gie hard for the proddys who had to swallow it.

+Quote Post
**Margaret**
post 16th Nov 2016, 10:59pm
Post #11

Hi David Canavan is my cousin, I lived at 145 Langlands road, went to St Anthony's school, moved to Priesthill, went to St Roberts, small world.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.