Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can’t Get Gg, White pages!
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Dec 2020, 10:55pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
That's more or les hit-oan-the-heid over heree Taurus wi' visiti'.
Hand-out flier from the Care Home where Mary's mum is has informed us that the death total there has now reached 41 as of last Sunday.
Mary's mum's station and one other are the only two not quarantined off.
We were hoping to have her home again for Xmas eve, Heiligabend, which is when the pressies get opened but there wont be much chance of that now. sad.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 11th Dec 2020, 08:00am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
We've had no visitors for over a year.....but that's not unusual, see once you've tasted my cooking.... tongue.gif Unfortunately we still have lots of Christmas card friends, costs a blinking fortune in stamps laugh.gif There's a lot to be said for being antisocial if you ask me thumbup.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 11th Dec 2020, 10:16am
Post #33

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
QUOTE (taurus @ 8th Dec 2020, 12:19pm) *
in 1980 the government office I worked in went on the computers ,among the very first people in Sydney to do this. we handled medical claims in front of the customer. It was another world to all of is after sitting for years with pens and files. first thing they did was send us on a course, the instructor prattled on about Bytes,and binary what nots,I fell asleep. I worked out my own system ,anyway ,it was pre programmed ,we didn`t have to be clever ,just have a good memory for what screen needed what doing,and binaries and bytes never ever came in to it.
glad youre back on Sumac,you certainiy sound cluey.today I bought a new iphone,and nearly had a nervous breakdown to get it set up.I`m too old for all this palaver,but it`s handy to have a phone when out and about,and the hated texts, my husband keeps saying just ring he or she,but that`s not what they want,voices are becoming redundant with all this typing.

Hi Taurus,

We took our two kids and moved to Sydney in 1977. We intended i stay one year but it ended up more than two years.

Husband was a truck driver and I got a job as a typist in the Navy Supply Centre, Waterloo. There were around 12 typists, all using manual typewriters, which surprised me. No computers there but I occasionally worked with the Managers and found a use for my shorthand. We had a Telex, I think it was called and we took turns sending messages on it.

On return to Christchurch in 1979, I worked at Lincoln University, doing secretarial work but at least it was an electric golf ball typewriter. A year later, we got a stand-alone word processor which I shared with two other typists.

I've had a computer at home since retiring in 2007. I've enjoyed it and have written my Life Story but these days I find it harder all the time to keep up with changes. As for mobile phones, I have got one but use it sparingly and much prefer using my laptop.

Cheers
Betty

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
taurus
post 11th Dec 2020, 11:13am
Post #34

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
I know Kiwi lass,we`re in the wrong generation for all this hi tech. We only got our first mobile phone about 20 years ago,as our son insisted ,he was updating,and gave us his old one. very basic,but opened up a new world to us. I thought I was the bees knees with my phone stuck to my ear like the modern folk,and once we landed in Heathrow,and I was sitting in the airport waiting for the Glasgow plane,out came my very important phone ringing my brother,and the man sitting opposite was smiling away with this wife. I thought he was being friendly,but he said,that`s a brick you`ve got,no one has them anymore. down to earth with a bump,there`s always someone to flatten your ego. This time I was forced to update,as my 6 year old phone died,2 years ago my granddaughter warned me it would die,as the Iphone 4 was old hat,I didn`t believe her but it happened.I`have aproblem,I`ve not been able to send emails ,just receive,for the past 4 years,and lo and behold the problem carried over to the new phone. 2 hours on to Telstra,she said open this delete that,blah blah ,end result,still no go,AND it affected my computer as they seem to be linked. nightmare week on the phone to them every other day. problem only half solved,but the computer ok so that will do.
I started my working life in Templetons carpets,where I dipped the pen in the inkwell and wrote in the big ledger. this is progress ,of a sort I suppose. I saw a word processor for the first time in 1986,in the correspondence department of our office,I thought it was fantastic,didn`t take long for them to get outdated.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 11th Dec 2020, 12:02pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 8th Dec 2020, 12:19pm) *
... but it`s handy to have a phone when out and about ...

Once when driving through Munich on my way to work I passed a shop with HANDY SHOP emblazened in yellow across the window.
Thinking it might be a DIY shop (for handymen) I popped in on the ay back to find ... it was full of cell phones: they call them Handy phones over here and people ask for your Handy number.
In my neck of the woods they say theey're called handies because the first person to buy one asked "Ha'n die kein schnur?" (have those no cable?) unsure.gif unsure.gif
So down here, where the State's motto is "We can do everything except speak normal German", they're H'an die phones: down here the folks speak Geermany's language eequiveelant of Weegie biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 11th Dec 2020, 01:32pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
I don't think this "posting on topic" lark will catch on tongue.gif

My first mobile was a "brick" too Taurus and I got a similar smug comment about it being "out if date" when it was only a year old. I used to take an old Panasonic flip phone abroad with me, because it's the size of a box of matches, but it became impossible to get a decent battery for it. My current phone is a three year old Samsung, no idea what number or model it is though.

I got one of the only two computers at my work back in the late 80s, it was one of the ones with a green screen. There were serious problems with invoices from a service supplier and the system used to pay them was archaic. Using my limited knowledge of Excel, and with the help of a great colleague, I managed to get the whole lot organised and saved a substantial amount of money at the same time. My reward (if you can call it that) was I was first to get any PC upgrades, oh aye, and my wages laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 11th Dec 2020, 03:59pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 11th Dec 2020, 02:32pm) *
My first mobile was a "brick" laugh.gif

Ash, my first "Handy" was a free gift which I turned down.
I was stood by the check-out having just purchased new winter tyres shortly before Christmas and the guy pusheed this box towards me.
"That's not mine" I said. He told me I was geeting it as a gift for having spent so much on my winter tyres (Merc arm-and-a-leg types). It wa one of those wee LG things. I told him I didn't want it: I had heard guys at work answering phones while on the bogs and didn't want to go down that road.
Hee told me I could give it to someonee for Christmas so I pushed it towards him and said that he could have it.
Hee had to call his boss who saw him pass it to me as he should and mee givee to him as I shouldn't: job donee.
When I told Mary who like me never wanteed a Handy she was flabergasted.
"You gave it back?"
"Yes. Would you have wanted it?"
"No, but it was freee and I could contact you when you were out".
"Aye, right, dear."
No kiddin', guess what I got from Mary for Christmas: thee very samee LG Handy laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 11th Dec 2020, 06:10pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
I think a few companies were giving them away as they knew the big money was in usage. My phone was a Motorola, a gift from a friend who was fed up not being able to get a hold of me. Twenty odd years on he still has the same problem rolleyes.gif cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 11th Dec 2020, 11:00pm
Post #39

Super City Key Holder
oh the anecdotes about phones never stop. My eldest daughter was against them from the start,always the last to get everything,VCR,CD player ,plasma tv etc. Of course she was going to get left behind in this new world,that`s all changed now with her of course. her daughter went to England to my other daughter,and her 3 girls had a mobile each. My granddaughter came home and said ,they ring each other up their bedrooms,"have you got my pink blouse?" trivia such as that,and of course my daughter and her daughter tutt tutting away at such extravagance.as you would imagine my 2 girls are opposites in every sense of the word.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Dec 2020, 12:51pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 12th Dec 2020, 12:00am) *
oh the anecdotes about phones never stop ...

Tuarus, my phones of which I have at least 8 or more lying in a drawer near me including the, then, world-wonder smartphone, the Nokia N95 (The Computer in Your Pocket) which looked more like a camera than a phone anyway, were all given to me when the givers upgradeed to the newest models.
For me they had only two purposes and that was the camera and the ability to raise help if anything ever happened to me or the dog when I was out in the local mountains.
At the moment I have a Huawei which I got from Mary's brother's girlfriend's mother who found it too complicated.
She may have been right but since I only use thee phone to make calls (eyes not good enough to text) and take photos of Dylan or Sandy, our cat, I wouldn't know about that.
I've lost a few; one went down the lavy pan ... but the one time that losing a Handy caused me grief was when on the River Rhine with Bonnie.
Near here on the natural run of the Rhine's river bed (the river is split and diverted away a mile or two from here on the Tri-Nation boundary to create the Grand Canal d'Alsace )there is a part where there's a bit of white water rapids; nothing ferocious of course, left over from when the glaciers reetredted a half a million years ago, and if you're daft enough and fancy yer chances you can leap and bound over the rapids a good way out on the river: and who betteer to do that than yours truly. tongue.gif
But sometimes it's more worth the effort than most.
I'm out on the rocks with Bonnie not far behind but a bit unsure if she should make the last jump to reach me: she only liked water up to her knees.
France is right behind me, due west, on the other side of the Rhine with the Sun fairly low in the late afternoon sky and when I turn to look at Bonnie on the rocks behind me I see her shadow on the rocks behind her and it's like I've struck gold
The perfect shot.
Bonnie stood on ancient white rocks with rapids between her and me and her shadow cast on the rocks behind looks like another big black dog standing nose-to-tail behind her.
So I lie down stretched out on my left side along the rock I'm on and take one ... two ... three shots felling like a latter day David Bailey: Good girl, Bonnie ... Stay Bonnie ... Good girl Bonnie, as I have a quick look at the shots and am as happy as Larry thinking Great .
To get back on my feet I push myseelf up with my left hand swinging my right out to keeep me balanced on the rocks and aid my turn and ... watch my phone sail out of my hand and into the rapids ohmy.gif
I was cussin', cussin', cussin;, cussin', cussin',all the way home rolleyes.gif
It wasn't losing another phonee, I can get replacements from all quarters: Have you got a new Handy yet? Can I have your old one? it was that one-in-a-million shot of Bonnie being followed nose-tto-tail by her own shadow on the glacial carved ... Granit I suppose ... rapids forming rocks in the Rhine near the village of Istein.(Ice Stone)

Bonnie was always a great model: this photo was taken seconds before she clambered through the safety rail on the 17t century watch-tower (for keeping a beady eye on the French) on the Sausenberg mountain near her house in Kandern with my daughter Kelly (on holiday with Me and Mary) screaming DAD LOOK AT BONNIE and almost having a stroke.
Weell ... Bonnie was a mountain dog biggrin.gif
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
sumac
post 13th Dec 2020, 01:18pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
Oh, Tee, was she OK?

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
taurus
post 13th Dec 2020, 07:49pm
Post #42

Super City Key Holder
magic shot of that clever dog,admiring the view? or maybe thinking should I jump,? no too dangerous happy.gif
back to my daughter who was cynical about modern innnovations,it was her stuffy Scottish husband (not lucky enough to be a Glaswegian ) he was the big cynic in the family. When the big percentage of the population had mobiles,he scoffed. he said coming home on the train from work,the announcement would come over ,this train will be doing blah blah,( running late or whatever),he said it was like the wild west all pulling out their guns (phones ) at the same time. made us laugh,he didn`t have a lot of laughs in him right enough,he never fancied our Glaswegian ways. too bad.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 14th Dec 2020, 10:47am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Of course she's not going to jump, she hasn't got her parachute on tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 14th Dec 2020, 11:55am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (sumac @ 13th Dec 2020, 02:18pm) *
Oh, Tee, was she OK?

Who? Bonnie or Kelly? tongue.gif
They were both OK seconds later; Bonniee when I lifted her down and Kelly when she got her breath back.
People go up there to BBQ; even in winter.
This is how it looks from the air in summer but I didn't take that shot rolleyes.gif
Attached Image

The galvanised tin bit on the top is the cover at the top of the wooden spiral-staircase: Kilroy was never theree as far ads I know but there's about 7 or 8 signatures from some guys from Mourne. biggrin.gif
I took Ken Booth and his lovely misses, Lynn, up there one year, it's about a two hour steep hike to the tower but there was a Hornet's Nest warning at the foot of the stairs so we had to keep out in case we upset the squatters. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Jan 2021, 12:28pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
I couldn't get GG on my computer since Thursday afternoon; in fact I couldn't get anything on my pc since Thursday afternoon: and all because I had tidied up the desk upon which it sits (to please my better half)
I know my desk is a mess but I need to have everything at hand, within reach, because I have difficulty seeing where things are: every thing includes things that shouldn't be there anyway but if they are there then I know where they are; if you get what I mean tongue.gif
So after dispersing with everything that really shouldn't be there; screwdrivers, dog collar etc etc., I got the furniture polish out and applied a bit of elbow grease to remove the few coffee-cup stains and pushed the monitor to the side to clean under that too.
When the desk was sparkling clean again and the monitor returned to its original position I placed my hand on the mouse and clicked ... and nothing happened: the cursor remained , immobile, on the middle of the screen.
Now, I know that I hadn't touched anything as they say when things go wrong, but I checked all the cables anyway, pulled out and replaced all the USBs, switched off and on ( as you do) but the brand new mouse had gone on strike, so I took the battery out and replaced it ... nothing!
Not to be outdone I took Brand New Mouse#2 out of its unopened package; using a carpet knife which also resides on my desk, and replacing the USB from defunct Brand New Mouse#1 with that of BNM#2 and was ready to start afresh having seen the signal on screen that the pc had recognised the new USB device was installed and clicked on BNM#2 in great expectation and ... nothing (again) unsure.gif
So I take the USB out and place it in all of the other USB sockets and still get zilch.
Logical conclusion is that I've either done something to the monitor when moving it; and I know I haven't, or the monitor doesn't recognise the mouses (are they mice too?) or the monitor has coincidently gone defunct at that moment.
Last night, having gone cold turkey for about 30 hours, I went upstairs to Mary's neice and asked if she had a spare wireless mouse she could lend me, just to make absolute sure that that wasn't the problem ... and it worked perfectly!

Conclusion: both the Brand New Mice which I'd bought only a few weeks ago were crap and the second one (#2) more crap than the first since it hadn't worked straight out of the packet.

I will, of course, buy some new Duracell batteries (which were included anyway with the crap mice) just in case it was crap batteries and not crap mice but I've ordered two new mices (Logitech this time) just to be on the safe side.

Honestly, it's enough to put a sane person off tidying his desk tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2021

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.