Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Lyon Street Glasgow Memorial, Memorial To Men Of Lyon Street
Rating 4 V
**Irene**
post 5th Aug 2015, 02:52pm
Post #166

QUOTE (Raymond Bell @ 11th Oct 2006, 08:31pm) *
Thanks to Heather and Oor Wullie for your replies, the poem that you submitted is the one that the school copied onto a lovely plaque and the large one is in the school with a smaller A4 size being in the Woodside library at the war book section. I have a few newspaper cuttings concerning the memorial.

The story goes that it may have been taken by a brewery company and displayed in their foyer or board room - so does anyone know which breweries covered the area?

Lyon Street was short Street with some seven closes (dwellings) on one side and four on the opposite side - have looked at ward maps covering the area of about 1913 and have found the names of the families that lived in the street during that period.

I looked up the war graves and entered some of the names and found a couple of names matching the occupants who came from Lyon Street but not all of the searches show family details such as addresses and next of kin.

As Heather said it could belike looking for a needle in a haystack but if those reading this may have some relatives who remember the memorial could add to the story - the needle could be found or what happened to it!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 31st Jul 2016, 08:29pm
Post #167

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Hi Raymond. I had a chance conversation with a local priest just a few days ago who happened to mention that a lot of things from St Joseph's church were taken to the seminary in Bearsden. I don't know if the seminary is still in operation and it may well be another long shot but maybe worth a try. Mary

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 6th Aug 2016, 01:29am
Post #168

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,677
Hi Mary

Thanks for the lead I will have a try and see if anything comes from it

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
Heather
post 7th Aug 2016, 03:19pm
Post #169

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Hi Raymond, if you don't get anywhere at Bearden, you could try Blair's College Museum in Aberdeen.

Blair's College was also a Seminary up to a few years ago.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 7th Aug 2016, 09:36pm
Post #170

Super Resident
Thanks Heather for your post

Raymond

+Quote Post
**Debs**
post 20th Apr 2017, 10:33pm
Post #171

My great grandfather was born at 4 Lyon Street in 1861. According to the 1861 census, his brother who was 12 years older than him was an apprentice brewer. Have recently been researching family history and just wish that the places where my ancestors lived were still in existence. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 21st Apr 2017, 12:20am
Post #172

Super Resident
Hi Debs

Thanks for your post - There is still a bit of Lyon Street left - in the playground of St Josephs school there are some blocks of stone that have been fenced off and it appears that these are original stones from the street - When I first started looking for the war scroll many years ago there was no fence around these stones but as usual Health and Safety issues caused them to be fenced off - What do you have on your relative ie name - date of birth - did he serve or his brother serve during WW1 if you want to post what info you have on him I can look and see if I can help on your family research Raymond

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.