Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

262 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 3 V
john.mcn
post 27th Sep 2015, 10:22am
Post #211

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
It seems a common thing with you kem, someone campaigns for a vote,loses then he should disappear....
I doubt very much farage would just walk off into the sunset if the public vote to stay in the EU, and neither should he. The EU is becoming what exactly many fear what it would become, a controlling behemoth that thinks nothing of a nations sovereignty. Look at the recent vote for migrant quotas, some countries are against it and even openly hostile to them, but the EU knowing of these decide to break with the standard and go for the majority vote so that their vote does not count. Even with those who voted for it, are they voting with the backing of their countries population, they after all the ones who will have to bend over backwards to appease the thousands dumped on their neighbourhoods..
Not everyone sitting watching the videos and independent news outlets reporting the migrant situation(not the BBC) can seriously think forcing countries to put up with the swarms flowing over their borders is right and just. Some will be perfectly happy with larger countries forcing through policy when their smaller neighbours are against it, some people even call that 'democracy' but as we have seem here it stokes up resentment and plebiscites.
It's all fine and well to say 'ahhh but the UK is not in Schengen so it doesn't apply...Well we had a German minister (Stephan Mayer) suggest recently that if the UK doesn't play ball with migrants Cameron can forget about concessions before the referendum.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 27th Sep 2015, 10:30am
Post #212

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
This man is fairly sensible. If only Cameron would listen to him.

"Right now, Lord Leach says the momentum is with the “No” lobby because of the migrant crisis, and before it, the eurozone crisis and Greece. “But this is changing hour by hour, even as we speak. British opinion is on a knife-edge. The public is exhausted by too many superficial polls. Our research suggests about 25 per cent is fixed for the inners, and 25 to 30 per cent for the outers. This leaves nearly half the electorate leaning this way or that but essentially still undecided.”

For him, David Cameron and George Osborne will only win if they negotiate “big picture” reform with the EU, halting the current inexorable direction of travel towards an EU superstate. “Even Otmar Issing – one of the euro’s founding fathers – warns that the latest plan for an EU-wide finance ministry with control over tax and spending is a foolhardy attempt to smuggle through political union, and breaches the basic fundamentals of modern democracy.”

There are two big changes, Lord Leach says, that would constitute a good deal. “The first step would be to redefine the EU as the Single Market, not as a vague aspiration to political union – with safeguards put in place to ensure that as the eurozone integrates, it does not write the rules for the rest of the member states."

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/lord-l...ocid=spartandhp

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 2nd Oct 2015, 11:20am
Post #213

Let's here it one more time for "Deutschland Uber Alles. for that's what it will be. The "United States of Europe?

"Fareweel ee'n tae oor Scottish name, sae famed in martial station".

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 15th Oct 2015, 11:29pm
Post #214

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
On the GG forum, we have two seperate topics, One being Scottish Independence, and the other being, UK Independence Referendum.

For me personally, these are two SEPERATE ISSUES. You may have voted for Scotland's independence, but that doesn't mean you won't vote for the UK to leave the European Union.

Conversely, you may have voted against Scotland leaving the UK, but that doesn't mean you will vote for the UK to stay in the European Union.

I am therefore puzzled why Nicola Sturgeon has said on more than one occasion, that if the UK votes to leave the European Union, it may go against the wishes of the people of Scotland.

What if the majority of Scottish electorate vote to leave the European Union, but the majority of the rest of the UK vote to stay in the European Union?

Unlike the Scottish referendum, European citizens living in the UK will not be allowed to vote in the In/Out UK independence referendum; so at least this time we will know what the SCOTTISH electorate wants, no matter what the outcome is.

If the SNP want us to stay in the EU, then I hope they come up with facts which back up their reasons for staying in the EU. If they simply start scaremongering about the number of jobs that will be lost if we leave the EU, then they will be just as bad as the BETTER TOGETHER mob that came to Scotland and used that tactic.

This is a golden opportunity for the SNP to show leadership. Saying "A UK majority vote to leave the EU, may go against the wishes of the people of Scotland", is a real thought provoking statement, isn't it!!!

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 16th Oct 2015, 07:47am
Post #215

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (DannyH @ 16th Oct 2015, 12:37am) *
If the SNP want us to stay in the EU, then I hope they come up with facts which back up their reasons for staying in the EU. If they simply start scaremongering about the number of jobs that will be lost if we leave the EU, then they will be just as bad as the BETTER TOGETHER mob that came to Scotland and used that tactic.

Danny Harris

You're not suggesting that the people of Scotland were lied to last year when we were told that an independent Scotland would be booted out of the EU and not allowed to return losing us access to 500 million potential customers for our business's Danny, are you? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 16th Oct 2015, 08:15am
Post #216

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
I have never understood the obsession about staying in the EU.

Our biggest customer block is the EU and we are 6000 miles away from the place. wink.gif

I have never understood the obsession about staying in the EU.

Our biggest customer block is the EU and we are 6000 miles away from the place. wink.gif

+Quote Post
ktv
post 16th Oct 2015, 10:39am
Post #217

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
QUOTE (DannyH @ 16th Oct 2015, 12:37am) *
I am therefore puzzled why Nicola Sturgeon has said on more than one occasion, that if the UK votes to leave the European Union, it may go against the wishes of the people of Scotland.

What if the majority of Scottish electorate vote to leave the European Union, but the majority of the rest of the UK vote to stay in the European Union?

she said that because it might go against our wishes......

if the Ruk votes to leave yet Scotland votes to stay then it will be against our wishes.

on the other hand we might vote to leave and the ruk votes to stay.. that would also go against our wishes.

the point being we might get dragged out or kept in against our wishes.

that's why she said "it may go against our wishes"....because it might.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 17th Oct 2015, 11:44am
Post #218

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (ktv @ 16th Oct 2015, 11:47am) *
she said that because it might go against our wishes......

if the Ruk votes to leave yet Scotland votes to stay then it will be against our wishes.

on the other hand we might vote to leave and the ruk votes to stay.. that would also go against our wishes.

the point being we might get dragged out or kept in against our wishes.

that's why she said "it may go against our wishes"....because it might.

Hello KTV

No no no! She didn't just say "It might go against our wishes" .You have conveniently left out "If Scotland votes to stay in the EU, but the rest of the UK votes to opt out".

Do you really think I would have said anything if all she had said was "It may go against our wishes".
I get the feeling you are one of the people on the GG forum, who feels that some of us are so stupid we need explanations from people like yourself who are more intelligent. Or maybe it is you using your old ploy of being a wind up merchant. She didn't make any reference to Scotland voting to leave the EU, and the rest of the UK voting to stay in.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
ktv
post 19th Oct 2015, 07:49am
Post #219

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
QUOTE (DannyH @ 17th Oct 2015, 12:52pm) *
Hello KTV

No no no! She didn't just say "It might go against our wishes" .You have conveniently left out "If Scotland votes to stay in the EU, but the rest of the UK votes to opt out".

Do you really think I would have said anything if all she had said was "It may go against our wishes".
I get the feeling you are one of the people on the GG forum, who feels that some of us are so stupid we need explanations from people like yourself who are more intelligent. Or maybe it is you using your old ploy of being a wind up merchant. She didn't make any reference to Scotland voting to leave the EU, and the rest of the UK voting to stay in.

Danny Harris

Hi Danny
thanks for your pedantic passive aggressive post but your first paragraph is exactly what I said...its also exactly what you said in the post I quoted...do you fail to understand because I worded it differently?
so because I added "if it was the other way round" "it would still be against our wishes" you produce that thumb sucker of a post? (ps you also said that)

and yes maybe I do have to explain to you what your talking about since your too pedantic to understand a simple conversation.

+Quote Post
flam
post 19th Oct 2015, 11:14am
Post #220

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
She is like Kenny Dalglish ," Maybe Aye. Maybe No "

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 19th Oct 2015, 12:25pm
Post #221

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (flam @ 19th Oct 2015, 12:22pm) *
She is like Kenny Dalglish ,"

She is, she can always find the back of the net and is international class.

Finally we agree on something flam. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 3rd Nov 2015, 02:03pm
Post #222

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
QUOTE (Spokesman for campaign to remain @ 2nd November, 2015)
Britons don't want to be part of an ever closer European Union.

Why not, and how can he be sure?

I want to. yes.gif

Support for the campaign will, I believe, keep us in. The likelihood of this result would only increase if a status-quo type of arrangement that's seen to protect the UK's interests could be agreed between the UK and the EU, as opposed to further integration, and the closeness in the opinion polls could provide the campaign with the necessary insurance policy to negotiate a deal to avoid Brexit.

The polls appear to be roughly sitting at 60/40% in favour of remaining.

www.ipsos-mori.com ...European-Union-membership-trends

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 3rd Nov 2015, 05:18pm
Post #223

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 3rd Nov 2015, 02:11pm) *
Why not, and how can he be sure?

Probably because he knows that most people are not complete loons..
I want to. yes.gif

Herein lies proof biggrin.gif

Support for the campaign will, I believe, keep us in. The likelihood of this result would only increase if a status-quo type of arrangement that's seen to protect the UK's interests could be agreed between the UK and the EU, as opposed to further integration, and the closeness in the opinion polls could provide the campaign with the necessary insurance policy to negotiate a deal to avoid Brexit.

The polls appear to be roughly sitting at 60/40% in favour of remaining.

www.ipsos-mori.com ...European-Union-membership-trends

Never took part in a poll, and in any discussion i've ever had with people i know they never have either.

And as i have always said < 2000 people is not the voting population. If Cameron can negotiate changes to the freedom of movement and more vetoes, inc the move to Superstate, then 'we' may vote to remain, but if not i can see more and more fence sitters voting to "get me the hell out a here, i'm 'British' "

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 9th Nov 2015, 09:17am
Post #224

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Just about sums it up ...

''Britain is suffering a crisis of confidence in foreign policy that leaves it “sidelined in Syria, ineffective in Ukraine, unwilling in Europe, and inimical towards refugees”, a report by some of Britain’s most senior former diplomats, intelligence officers and foreign policy academics has warned.''

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/briti...ocid=spartandhp

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 12th Nov 2015, 10:01am
Post #225

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
http://news.sky.com/story/1584559/eu-tells...and-problematic

The above article reveals a mixed but very interesting day of EUref news:
  • The PM signals his intent to push for reform but hints at scope for compromise
  • The PM rules out a 2nd EUref
  • Chancellor Merkel promptly opens a vital dialogue that boosts the campaign to remain
  • UKIP responds in typical fashion: ' oh no we can't '
  • The SNP fails yet again to unveil a meaningful argument and instead focuses rather parochially on Tory divisions

+Quote Post

262 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Jan 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.