Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Forge Market, buildings
big tommy
post 14th Oct 2005, 03:06pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
ohmy.gif Over at Duke Street sits the great shopping mall called 'The Forge' .

Most remember it as Beardmores or 'The Parkhead Forge '.

I must say it is my favourite of all Glasgows Malls .
So many shops to choose from .Even a cinema at the end.

Accross Duke Street is The Forge closed market where you can buy anything at all .It is reputed to be the largest closed market in Scotland .Great for a day's shopping .

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 14th Oct 2005, 03:30pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Is this a new mall. I dont recall anything like this on Duke St.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 14th Oct 2005, 03:36pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Dear Isobel

The shopping mall has been around for close to 15 years ,including the cinema . The closed market accross Duke Street has ben there for about 8 years . you can but almost anything there.
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 17th Oct 2005, 05:51am
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 799
Is it just me or has everybody decided to Americanise our speech? I know they are refered to as "malls" in America,but for me they will always be shopping centres.Note spelling,not center. biggrin.gif

El defendor de la Lingua Ingles. ;-) UK style.

--------------------
Kenny :)

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 17th Oct 2005, 07:25am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Canada calls them Malls too Riddrie, sno jist America.

El defendo de la country Canada, note spelling...no North America, Glesga style. laugh.gif

Must admit it's a word I didn't like when I first came here..naturally I pronounced it the wrong way and called it Maal instead of Moll, I felt a right ejjit. Still don't really like the word.

I've never been to this Shopping Centre, heard it's a good one....in fact ah think betty's got shares in it she's in there that often. winkywinkbetty.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 17th Oct 2005, 08:22am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
With such a large proportion of board members living in Canada and the United States it is not surprising that North American usage is fairly common on this board. That said, I am beginning to notice that the use of North American English is creeping into our everyday conversation here in Glasgow as well.

Among GG's images of Parkhead is a picture showing one of the entrances to the Forge Shopping Centre. The area covered by the original Forge, or at least the Forge in its heyday, was quite extensive and the shopping centre and Forge Market cover only part of the area of the Forge. Apart from those two areas, the ground covered by Beardmores stretched as far as Camlachie to the west and Shettleston to the East.

As an acknowledgement to Parkhead's industrial past, there is a bronze sculpture in the shopping centre depicting a blacksmith at his anvil. This is a fine piece of work and because it is in a secure location, seems to have been spared the attention of vandals and graffiti artists.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
marina
post 17th Oct 2005, 09:34am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
i prefer braehead shopping centre

--------------------
Slāinte mhor a h-uile lā a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 17th Oct 2005, 11:56am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Dear Marina

Braehead is alright ,but sometimes i think it is TOO big ,what with IKEA just accross from it .St Enoch's Gentre is not bad xcept for parking . but i will have the Forge anytime .I dont know ,but it seeems more like a true Glasgow Shopping Centre .Even has an Asda .
love
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 17th Oct 2005, 11:59am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
ah always thought that the words Shopping Mall or jist Mall was referred to a closed in shopping area and " The shopping Centre" was open to the elements, at least here in the US thats wis oor use of the words, but dont know aboot back "hame"

+Quote Post
*Guest Robert **
post 26th Feb 2008, 04:10pm
Post #10

For anyone that's interested, the forge market now also has it's own website at:

http://www.forgemarket.co.uk/

+Quote Post
betty2
post 2nd Mar 2008, 01:49pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
My favourite haunting ground , Tommy there is also the biggest bingo hall in scotland right alongside the forge market.
And its a "Shopping Centre" thats how the advertisement reads.
Marina braehead is fine but a hell of a place to get to if you,re from the eastend of the city [like me] who depends on public transport. I understand that there is a bus called the "bullett" which goes there in jig time , but again you have to travel to partick for this service. Quick journey from partick but from where I live to partick long tedious journey . I,ll stick wae the forge it serves me well

rolleyes.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 23rd Oct 2010, 01:34pm
Post #12

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
Im quite near the Forge and choose it over going into the town now, and Im nearer the town to be honest, hate Argyle st now, its full of rubbish type wee shops spoiling the whole place.. wish it was like back in the 50s or 60s with Lewis s Graftons. Woolworths, Littlewoods. Virgo. C&V. (remember them for fur coats) and many more .. The Forge is big enough for me whereas the Fort is far too open and Americanised for me ..

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 23rd Oct 2010, 01:49pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I thought the point of shopping centres or malls was to protect the punters from the Scottish weather. The Fort is a complete waste of space and certainly not for the bargain hunter.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*paula*
post 9th Dec 2011, 03:01pm
Post #14

when is forge market on?

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.