Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Toy Shops, 1930-1960 Glasgow
lbrown
post 17th Dec 2009, 02:45pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,861
Do you remember what sort of toy shops were in Glasgow during the 1930-1960s.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kenomeat
post 17th Dec 2009, 06:01pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 7,794
Birss in Partick had a grand toy section, as did Lewis's on Argyll Street... but they were parts of other stores.
Independants I remember are Sportoys on Byers Road, which was a fave, was good and then there was a place on Gt Western Road at Park Road called Babyfair or somesuch. Did more than baby stuff in its earlier days... Used to have a big sign up saying "Toy Store for 60 Years" or something. I think The Walrus and the Carpenter was a 70's place, as were Modatoys on both CLarence Drive (now Peckam's) and Hyndland Road.
Bound to be more... but that's all that comes to mind without thinking more on it.

+Quote Post
klingon
post 28th Dec 2009, 02:32pm
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (kenomeat @ 17th Dec 2009, 05:59pm) *
Birss in Partick had a grand toy section, as did Lewis's on Argyll Street... but they were parts of other stores.
Independants I remember are Sportoys on Byers Road, which was a fave, was good and then there was a place on Gt Western Road at Park Road called Babyfair or somesuch. Did more than baby stuff in its earlier days... Used to have a big sign up saying "Toy Store for 60 Years" or something. I think The Walrus and the Carpenter was a 70's place, as were Modatoys on both CLarence Drive (now Peckam's) and Hyndland Road.
Bound to be more... but that's all that comes to mind without thinking more on it.

Not forgetting The Clyde Model Dockyard in Argyll Arcade of course!-there was also a fairly major toyshop in Sauchiehall street whose name escapes me at present but which gained notoriety due to a lorry running down the opposite hilly street and ending up inside the shop! ohmy.gif

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 28th Dec 2009, 02:41pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (klingon @ 28th Dec 2009, 03:30pm) *
Not forgetting The Clyde Model Dockyard in Argyll Arcade of course!-there was also a fairly major toyshop in Sauchiehall street whose name escapes me at present but which gained notoriety due to a lorry running down the opposite hilly street and ending up inside the shop! ohmy.gif

Was that Lyon's at Elmbank Street corner? It was also a book shop.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
kenomeat
post 28th Dec 2009, 04:30pm
Post #5

Visitor
Member No.: 7,794
It was after that the hill became one way (up). When I left Glasgow in the 80's the Lyon's doorway was still marked by its marble floor thing at the old doorway... sure it must have a name (the marble thing on the ground, not Lyon's).
Sorry for digressing from toy shops there, but the event with the lorry was one of those childhood memories.

+Quote Post
Kentigern
post 6th Jan 2010, 08:04pm
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 5,979
There was also the estimable "Gerry's" on the corner of Radnor and Argyle Sts to where I was taken once a month for a treat. Did only live across from the Art Galleries mind.

--------------------
The conclusion of your syllogism, I said lightly, is fallacious, being based upon licensed premises.

+Quote Post
*Backcauseway*
post 2nd Feb 2010, 07:52pm
Post #7

Lyons department was at the corner of Sauchiehall Street and Elmbank Street. The toy section was on the first floor up the stairs. I still have boxed Dinky toys bought from it for 2s9d and 5s . Must be worth a fortune now. Clyde Model Dockyard was very expensive or so it seemed to me!

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 23rd Oct 2010, 01:10pm
Post #8

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
A lovely big two storey toy shop in London road near Brigton Cross, called the Triang toy shop near Anson st.. was a wee paradise to walk through, I got my first hula hoop from there and my roll top desk for my Xmas.. There was also a good toy shop at the Trongate too.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 23rd Oct 2010, 01:15pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Backcauseway @ 2nd Feb 2010, 10:48pm) *
Lyons department was at the corner of Sauchiehall Street and Elmbank Street. The toy section was on the first floor up the stairs. I still have boxed Dinky toys bought from it for 2s9d and 5s . Must be worth a fortune now. Clyde Model Dockyard was very expensive or so it seemed to me!

Got my Hornby Dublo trai set from there Christmas 1953 - 12 pounds and eight for the control unit- Duchess of Montrose locomotive. still got it in mint condition in original box. You would think it would be worth a bit but seemingly a new set made of plastic mouldings is worth more. Don´t understand the antique business - crazy!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Brand
post 2nd Jan 2012, 12:44pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,283
I used to buy model railway stuff from Ibrox Sports Emporium on Paisley Road at the corner of Percy St. Always remember they had a working model railway in the window and you put a penny in the slot in the window frame to make the train do a couple of circuits of the track. Happy days.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 31st Jan 2015, 10:10pm
Post #11

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
There was a lovely toy shop in two levels at the Trongate right at the tron.... loved that shop.. it was changed into a pram shop for a while later on...

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 11th Feb 2015, 11:01am
Post #12

QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 23rd Oct 2010, 01:32pm) *
Got my Hornby Dublo trai set from there Christmas 1953 - 12 pounds and eight for the control unit- Duchess of Montrose locomotive. still got it in mint condition in original box. You would think it would be worth a bit but seemingly a new set made of plastic mouldings is worth more. Don&acute;t understand the antique business - crazy!

I was surprised at this as a new unpainted brass and cast loco retails for anything up to $1200.

Online the average price for a mint H.D. Britrail loco + tender is around 250-300 Sterling.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.