Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clyde Model Dockyard, Memories
lbrown
post 17th Dec 2009, 02:33pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,861
Do you remember the Clyde Model Dockyard shop based in the Argyle Arcade. Looking for information about the shop and the toys you could buy there for one of the displays in the new Riverside Museum. 1930-1960.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*andy wilson*
post 2nd Jun 2010, 01:39pm
Post #2

QUOTE (lbrown @ 17th Dec 2009, 03:36pm) *
Do you remember the Clyde Model Dockyard shop based in the Argyle Arcade. Looking for information about the shop and the toys you could buy there for one of the displays in the new Riverside Museum. 1930-1960.

Clyde Model Dockyard was the source for most of the more expensive brands of toys-such as Mamod steam engines,Star pond yachts,Frog & Kiel Kraft model aircraft kits,Bing steam engines,while of course dealing in the more bread and butter makes such as Hornby,Triang,and of course Meccano-the shop was owned by one family whose name escapes me but as far as I remember was sort of Italian sounding like Maranello-there was also another shop nearby at one time on Argyll st in the early part of the 1900's-I still have some of the toys bought there in the late 1950's-and dearly wish I had kept the rest!-naturally the shop sold fireworks and the like in november for Guy Fawkes night-Brocks,Standard,Wessex,and Astra makes as far as I remember.-wish it was still there! sad.gif

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 12th May 2013, 02:53pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
QUOTE (lbrown @ 17th Dec 2009, 02:50pm) *

The Clyde Model Dockyard was a famous toy and model shop in Glasgow (not to be confused with the original Model Dockyard or Stevens Model Dockyard different companies dealing in similar products). Established in 1789, it was located at 22–23 Argyll Arcade. The firm manufactured a range of boats and sailing yachts, but were probably best known for their 0 scale model railway stock and accessories.
I used to go there when i was a kid, and try and build up my model railway.
The staff were always friendly (even to children) and the owner was a Mr.Taylor who always stood behind the glass counter was always there i don't think he took a day off in 30 years. The shop closed because of ever increasing rates. (shame on Glasgow council)

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
*Guvinjim*
post 13th May 2013, 08:19am
Post #4

Brings back a memory I know I went there whenever I could but I have no recollection of it in my mind until this post came up. There was a model dockyard similar to it in Melbourne in the 70s but like all good things came to an end as did most model shops. They have been taken over by plastic toys that require little skill or application to construct.
I still construct sailing ships among others and model figures. My interest in this came from the great Kelvin Grove museum and the model dock yard and my father who was a sailor.
If any get the chance go see the work of Alex McFayden ( HMS. Vanguard )
of Glasgow, the greatest ship model maker, (all made by hand), in existence.

+Quote Post
*Guvinboay*
post 13th May 2013, 08:21am
Post #5

Brings back a memory I know I went there whenever I could but I have no recollection of it in my mind until this post came up. There was a model dockyard similar to it in Melbourne in the 70s but like all good things came to an end as did most model shops. They have been taken over by plastic toys that require little skill or application to construct.
I still construct sailing ships among others and model figures. My interest in this came from the great Kelvin Grove museum and the model dock yard and my father who was a sailor.
If any get the chance go see the work of Alex McFayden ( HMS. Vanguard )
of Glasgow, the greatest ship model maker, (all made by hand), in existence.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 13th May 2013, 08:57am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Got my first yacht there in the 50s.Sank 1959 Firhill basin after sustained enemy attack by a jealous swan and a mad duck. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.