Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

41 Pages V  « < 39 40 41  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Schools You Went To..., Come on add your schools here...
*frank leslie*
post 16th Jul 2016, 11:24pm
Post #601

Hi

I went to St Augustines Primary. I lived in Lambhill at the time and it was quite a walk to school. I then moved to Mingulay street Milton and attended St Augustines Secondary.

I really enjoyed primary school with teachers like Miss Donaldson, Miss Paul etc. The secondary was more of a challenge where I met Mr McGarrity, my best mates dad, Mr Gordon, Mr McKay, Mr Coll, Miss Gilligan, Mrs Kennedy, Mr & Mrs McGoldrick, Mr Dunwoody, Mr Campbell and Mr Ward the most sadistic PE teacher I Have ever met. I enjoyed my first couple of years at secondary when I was in the top class. But the arseholes that were teaching me forced me into the lower classes where I ended up finishing school before my allotted time. Well done the education board.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 17th Jul 2016, 02:06pm
Post #602

QUOTE (guvin billy @ 10th Feb 2014, 08:50am) *
Had Coyle for science and Lynch. Carrol for English also Smiddy for maths Monsewer Lavelle for French, Eddie M'Gaughern for Latin, Mr Rossi for art. The hiedmaister was McNeill of Barra, who gave Billy Connelly a glowing endorsment when he left and told me he was glad to see the back of me.

Sorry heidmaister was actually the more famous John McKee. Knight Of St. Gregory.

McNeil was H.M. at St. Mirin's paisley. Whaur I wis edjucated to a high degree of intelergence. This wis eftir leanvin Guvin and the great St. Gerard's.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 17th Jul 2016, 10:05pm
Post #603

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Sad to say both my primary and secondary schools no longer exist. Springbank School (across the road from where I grew up in Hinshaw Street) was demolished recently. I have many happy memories of going there (1947 to 1953). Then on to North Kelvinside Sec. At the young age of 11, I was learning bookkeeping, followed later with typing, shorthand and commercial arithmetic. Commercial was the only subject I excelled in - all the others were just average for me.

Mind you, I did manage to do a painting in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery as part of a school project. Not sure why I was selected as I was average at art too! Still, good experience I have never forgotten.

I have always regretted not visiting NKS when I was in Glasgow. On my last visit in 2011 the school had been demolished and was being replaced by housing.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
bettyearl
post 25th Jul 2016, 04:50pm
Post #604

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,734
St Lukes Ballater St Gorbals
St Bonaventures Shettleston
St Marks Oatlands
liked all my schools but preferred my primary best oh! Those carefree days....

+Quote Post
bettyearl
post 25th Jul 2016, 05:23pm
Post #605

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,734
St Lukes Ballater St Gorbals
St Bonaventures Shettleston
St Marks Oatlands
liked all my schools but preferred my primery best oh! Those carefree days....

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 29th Jul 2016, 07:42am
Post #606

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
Queen mary street Brigton then Dalmarnock school for a year then John st sec. in Tullis st.

+Quote Post
castlemilk1970
post 1st Aug 2016, 08:11am
Post #607

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,063
Hi to everyone. Just joined the site. Must be looking back with rose tinted specs but did enjoy my primary school. Windlaw primary,auld jock wallace the janny with his dog turbo and of course auld Gladys henderson the headteacher who carried a great big bunch of keys that you always had time to get away as you heard her way before you seen her thumbup.gif .After that grange secondary ,pretty non descript time. Not any great stand out memories

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 21st Mar 2018, 10:02pm
Post #608

hello there new too this looking for school pictues when i went too hillington primary around 1965 -70 then went too penilee found one on facebook page same year but wrong class remember headmaster was mr barr or mr dunn teachers mrs patrick mrs mccall

+Quote Post
gormac
post 27th Mar 2018, 08:59am
Post #609

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,706
I went to Glasgow High School for Boys as it was known back in the 50s. I hated every day there, under the tyrannic rule of David Lees, Headmaster. A nasty wee short-arse who ruled with tawse and cane, he was universally hated by students and staff alike.

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 6th Apr 2018, 10:59am
Post #610

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I went to St Marys School across from the Barraks
Attached Image
here is a photo I found Iam in it

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 7th Apr 2018, 03:00pm
Post #611

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi Weemags, good to see names on the photo
Are you the same person who was on Glescapals web site?

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
johnkerr52
post 9th Apr 2018, 08:07am
Post #612

Settling In
Member No.: 33,082
hi there everyone i went to townhead primary in townhead in 1957 then onto city public secondary which i left when we moved to dennistoun and i went to whitehill senior secondary a great school with good teachers i managed to get 8 o-levels and 4 highers, i looked at my childrens o level papers and there is no comparison to the papers i sat,they are much too easy,education levels are slipping in scotland which is a shame as they used to be great back in my day- john kerr if any of my friends from townhead read this here is my email add.- johnleekerr@yahoo.co.uk ,i would love to hear from you.

+Quote Post

41 Pages V  « < 39 40 41
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.