Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mackintosh Church Upgraded, Queen's Cross Church in Maryhill
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 10
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 5th Feb 2007, 09:03pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A famous church designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh has benefited from a £1million refurbishment. The Queen's Cross Church in Maryhill in the north-west of Glasgow, contains some of the city's most famous architect's best work.

Constructed during the period 1897-99, it is unusual because it has a designated space for a church organ even though music is not allowed in the Free Church.

Stuart Robertson, director of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society said:
"We'll never know because he never wrote down the meanings. It is the mystery of Mackintosh. This was the only church he designed. It is pure, uncluttered Mackintosh. It's also very playful and eclectic.
The year-long restoration project, done by builders Hunter & Clark, included detailed work on the roof and the stonework, as well as well as repairs to windows and a full upgrade for the church's heating and electrical system.

Richard Bennie, managing director of Hunter & Clark said:
"We have a long association with the building, but this phase was particularly challenging. It involved the manufacture of fitted furniture in the Mackintosh style and repairs to the stained glass windows."

Funding for the project came from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Scottish Enterprise Glasgow, Glasgow City Council and 12 other charitable trusts.

The restored church now includes a shop and a resource centre hoping to serve the growing number of tourists who flock to the city to see the renowned architects legacy.

The building ceased to be a functioning parish church in 1976, but has been looked after since then thanks to the efforts of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society, who introduce the building as:
The only church designed by Mackintosh to be built and now the Society's International headquarters. Magnificent stained glass and exceptional relief carving on wood and stonework are highlights of the interior where light and space are used to dramatic effect. The Mackintosh Church at Queen's Cross has an excellent library and the shop stocks an extensive range of Mackintosh books and gifts.

The church reopens to the public on March 5th 2007.

Rate this story now...

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 5th Feb 2007, 09:31pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 318
I've visited this church a few times and can't imagine what they might have done to make it even more beautiful. I think I'm going to have to get back for another visit very soon.

The last time I visited, I arrived later than planned and had to ring the bell to be admitted....and by a lovely young man who gave me a guided tour, enhancing the experience greatly. There was a funny wee shop and he waited patiently for me to browse and buy a few souvenirs...and then he cheerily waved me on my way before locking up for the night.

If ye hivnae been....do go. It's another aspect of the wonderful Rennie's legacy to us.

Thanks Martin.....ye'll realize by now that Ah luv this new feature o' yours.

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 5th Feb 2007, 10:01pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
its nice to know that they are preserving it I hope to get to see it if I wink.gif ever get there

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 7th Feb 2007, 11:09am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Queen's Cross is five minutes walk from where I grew up (in Hinshaw Street) and yet I have no recollection of ever seeing this church. Mind you, my family moved from Hinshaw Street when I was 12 and I don't think I had much interest in churches then, apart from the Methodist Central, where we had gone to Sunday School.

Having heard so much about the Charles Rennie Mackintosh church in recent times, I intend to visit it when I am in Glasgow later this year, in September. It has duly been added to my itinerary.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 7th Feb 2007, 08:31pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
shame that lamp post was in the photo but great upstanding looking church indeed

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 8th Feb 2007, 01:34pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif Theres a charles Rennie Macintosh hoose next to my mums hoose on Balgrayhill its as lovely as this church is one can definitely see the architect was the same man as theres many facetts & signatures of Macintosh throughout the hoose next door to my mums.that are simular to this here church outstanding so beutefull as is the hoose ave mentioned on Balgrayhill rd.cheers thanks Martin. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 8th Feb 2007, 06:25pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Thanks for that post Martin.I am from Maryhill, and I know this Church well,it saddens me to see the condition that it is in these days, I think Mackintosh also did the Ruchill street church. I spent many a sunday in there, also in the hall as a girl guide.
Hard to imagine I know laugh.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 12th Feb 2007, 01:31am
Post #8

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
Good post Martin. I lived on springbank st and this was the church i attended as a young boy. It was the queens cross church and then became queens cross and st cuthberts when they closed st cuthberts on doncaster st. As kids we used to go to sunday school in the wee church hall at the back(still there) and once a month we would all go into the big church for the regular church sevice. It is so true that the folk at the church nowadays, the rennie macintosh society, are wonderful and friendly and make any visit worth remembering. ....Andra

+Quote Post
Aman
post 5th Mar 2007, 09:29pm
Post #9

Resident
Member No.: 4,554
QUOTE (stuarty @ 7th Feb 2007, 08:48 PM) *
shame that lamp post was in the photo but great upstanding looking church indeed

Still messin aboot Stuarty, saw the message and thought I'd get rid of that lampost and they traffic lights for ye. Had tae get cooncil permission tae laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 7th Mar 2007, 03:14am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
laugh.gif Good on ye Aman laugh.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.