Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

27 Pages V  « < 25 26 27  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Common Irish Surnames In Scotland, Irish surnames commonly found in Scotland
Rating 5 V
bilbo.s
post 29th Dec 2012, 10:20am
Post #391

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Heather @ 28th Dec 2012, 10:57pm) *
Wow, Bill is actually admitting to having Irish blood in the family. laugh.gif

I thought that might shake you, Heather, but I would never deny my heritage, no matter how dark! wink.gif

Esther Shannon (1837-1918) , from Killinchy, Co. Down, has her place on my family tree, but is a lonely figure among all the Scots.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RonD
post 30th Dec 2012, 10:16am
Post #392

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
My Mother's paternal ancestry was from Kincardineshire with a little spill over in Angus shire, her maternal ancestry was from lower Aberdeenshire. However, My Father''s ancestry was fully famine or pre famine Irish. Names include Dempsey, Bon(n)ar, O'Donnell, Donelly, McNeillus, Gallocher, Moor, Fairrell, Caig, McRobert, (McRabbie) and not so Irish names from Ireland, Brown, McDonald and Crawford.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
*Tim*
post 23rd Feb 2014, 02:38pm
Post #393

Can anyone provide any insight into the surname Leith? My greatX2 grandfather James Leith was born in 1845 in Ireland (town/county unknown) and married a Sarah McKechnie (who was also likely born in Ireland) in Glasgow in 1868. They were most likely Protestant.

I know that Leith is a Scottish surname, what are the chances the family is of Scottish descent?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 7th Mar 2014, 11:35pm
Post #394

QUOTE (Tim @ 23rd Feb 2014, 02:55pm) *
Can anyone provide any insight into the surname Leith? My greatX2 grandfather James Leith was born in 1845 in Ireland (town/county unknown) and married a Sarah McKechnie (who was also likely born in Ireland) in Glasgow in 1868. They were most likely Protestant.

I know that Leith is a Scottish surname, what are the chances the family is of Scottish descent?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

There is not a lot to go on when it comes to tracing random names and having no definitive source for the origin of the particular ancestors. Parish records will help if you can define the parish in particular. Migration of individuals to and from Ireland from the 17th century and before would make it almost impossible to define the place of origin of a particular person and whatever country they resided in. They would, after one generation, have defined themselves as being of that particular country. There is also the problem of the Province of Ulster which actualy consists of nine counties and not ythe 1922 imposition of six. Not all people from Ulster are protestants as not all Irish people outside of Ulster are Catholic. There is no way a name can be assessed as to a persons religion in Scotland or Ireland. The name Leith is a place name and as such it would more likely be attributed to the lowland or border Scots. However there are no reasonable parameters that can be applied to Scottish/Irish surnames that can throw any positive light on their origins or that of those individuals bearing a particularsurname. Expensive geneology sites maybe your only recourse in this matter.

+Quote Post
*rnwebber*
post 31st Mar 2016, 10:49am
Post #395

I've learned my McGrath ancestors are from Ballaghameehan Leitrim via Belleek Fermanagh. Most of them migrated to Toronto Canada in the 1910s/1920s.

dr.regwebber@gmail.com

+Quote Post
**Samantha**
post 23rd Mar 2017, 07:10pm
Post #396

Thank you for a very intereresting read. My family name is Keenan. Does anyone have any info. Also does anyone know of Huntingtons Disease? and a mental hospital where people with HD may have been sent. Thank you.

samanthajkeenan@yahoo.co.uk

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 25 26 27
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.