Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Irish Immigrants Garscube / Dobbies / St. George's, History of Garscube Road and the Irish
mijwoodward
post 19th Jul 2006, 11:34pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,562
Hello. I am interested in learning about the history of the Garscube Road-Dobbie's Loan-St. George's Rd area in Glasgow during the 1840's-1850's. My ancestors, William Logg and Barbara McLauchlan, lived there with their children, as found on the 1841 census. Then, in 1851, William is found living with one of his daughters, Hannah Bolland, on St. George's. Both of the Loggs, along with their daughter, Hannah, were born in Ireland.

I want to find out all I can about the social history of that area of Glasgow during that time, especially regarding Irish immigrants--what did the area look like, was there sort of an Irish community there, etc.?

I plan to obtain one of the Villages of Glasgow books. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RonD
post 20th Jul 2006, 06:05am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Hi: I have found that the local libraries are invaluable in providing that kind of information. There is usually a local history group that they can tap into, as well as they have period maps of the area and possibly old photographs and sketches.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Heather
post 20th Jul 2006, 08:50pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I don't know anything about the 1840/50s.

My great/g/father who was Irish, lived in the Garscube Road after leaving the Army.

I lived in the Garscube Road 1940/50 and there were still a lot of Irish about then.

I don't recognise any the names you are asking about.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 20th Sep 2006, 06:38am
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
Hi MIJ.

I have recently been reading about Glasgow in the mid 19th century. The districts of Cowcaddens, Dobbie's Loan and Garscube Road, just to the north of Glasgow city centre, were considered part of the old slum territories of Glasgow. These districts, along with Townhead (High Street area), District 14 (area between the Trongate and the River Clyde), Calton and Anderston were the districts of Glasgow in which the earliest Irish immigrants to Glasgow settled in the 1830s, 1840s and 1850s. (Some Irish immigrants came to Glasgow even before the 1846 Irish Potato Famine, but their numbers greatly increased after the Famine, and immigrants continued coming late into the 19th century and even the early 20th century.) The Irish immigrants that came to Glasgow from the 1860s onwards tended to settle mainly in Garngad, Gorbals, Bridgeton (and even Govan and Maryhill.) Many new tenement buildings had been quickly thrown up, and the more recent immigrants were settling slightly further from the city centre.

You were asking about conditions in the Cowcaddens/Garscube area. I have recently read that a count of 174 tenement homes in part of the Cowcaddens area in the mid 19th century revealed that between them they only had 6 outside toilets and 3 middens. Conditions in High Street and District 14 (Saltmarket and the Briggait) were even worse than in Cowcaddens!

You also mentioned the surnames of Logg and McLauchlan. Most of the 19th century Irish immigrants to Glasgow were illiterate and, as a result, many Irish surnames were recorded incorrectly by Scottish officials. (See my topic 'Common Irish Surnames in Scotland' on this 'Family History' forum.) I suspect Logg and McLauchlan are 'Scottish' spellings of the Irish surnames Logue and McLaughlin. Both these surnames are very common in County Donegal and many of Glasgow's Irish immigrants came from County Donegal.

Paul

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
Scots Evelyn
post 6th Mar 2007, 11:10am
Post #5

Settling In
Member No.: 4,597
unsure.gif Hi Mijwoodward,

I am also researching my husband's family history from around the same area. They were Moloneys and they stayed at Raglan Street, round the corner from St. Georges Road. They arrived in Scotland from Ireland around 1894/95. I recently visited the area, and all of the old tenements are now gone, having been replaced with flats. I did notice that there was a large church in St. Georges Road, 'St Georges in the Fields'. This church may hold records of your family history. Maybe Paul Kelly might know something about it? I am planning on paying a visit there one day soon, as I stay in the Glasgow area, and I will make enquiries as to any records which they may hold. I'll post my findings here.( I am assuming that it was a catholic church as the area around there seemed to be filled with irish immigrants.)

Regards

Evelyn

--------------------
life is waaaay toooooo short!!! don't put it off!!

+Quote Post
Scots Evelyn
post 6th Mar 2007, 11:14am
Post #6

Settling In
dry.gif P.S. why is 'GARSCUBE ROAD' always referred to as 'THE GARSCUBE ROAD' !!????Hmmm

--------------------

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 6th Mar 2007, 12:50pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Evelyn !!! I seem to remember Garscube Rd as being the Gaspipe Rd ha ha ha laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
*Guest Dimairt **
post 6th Mar 2007, 04:34pm
Post #8

Evelyn,
St. Columba's in Hopehill Rd. is the Catholic church for that area. It's still there and worth a visit if you're interested in church architecture - it's a B-listed building.
St. George's in the Fields was converted to flats in the 1990s having lain derelict for a few years. If you're looking for information about Glasgow, start here at the Mitchell Library, in the Glasgow Room on the 2nd. floor. The staff are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Le dùrachd,
Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Scots Evelyn
post 6th Mar 2007, 06:12pm
Post #9

Settling In
smile.gif Hi Dimairt,

Thanks for that! Love the photo! It is a magnificent looking church. Just a pity it wasn't kept as a church. I was actually in the Mitchell for two days last week doing family history research and I had so many other things on the go, that I had forgotten all about the church, until now. I will pay a visit to the Glasgow room some time next week and try to get some details. Cheers Evelyn

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scots Evelyn
post 6th Mar 2007, 06:16pm
Post #10

Settling In
JIMMYD laugh.gif laugh.gif hahahaha evelyn

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heather
post 7th Mar 2007, 01:04am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Jimmyd, it's a long time since I heard the Garscube Road being referred to as the ' Gaspipe '. You are correct of course. I lived in Sawfield Place just off the ' Gaspipe 'almost across from North Woodside Road.

Evelyn, anyone living in Raglan Street many years ago would be Parishioners of St. Joseph's in North Woodside Road. As the chapel no longer exists, the records are kept in St. Columba's in Hopehill Road.

Last year I emailed the Priest in St. Columba's about my Baptismal Certificate, and he posted it on to me within a few days. He even put the date of my Confirmation on it. I was curious to know who my Godmother was as my mum could not remember. Can't blame her as she will be 95 years old next Monday. smile.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 7th Mar 2007, 01:37am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
this is the church my uncle john slowey was taken for his requiem mass last april and it is still as pretty now as it was as a child as a was up there everyweekend with my ma and da visiting my relatives still living there and still do the ones that are still alive

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
RonD
post 7th Mar 2007, 03:00am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Here's a shot in the dark. My brother and I were in Lambhill cememtry in 1992 looking for my grand parents but the office was closed. If anyone is wandering aboout there, I'm looking for a stone for Edward Demspey and his wife Sarah (Bonar) Dempsey ( if there are headstones.) If you see them let me know. Cheers

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Scots Evelyn
post 7th Mar 2007, 09:35am
Post #14

Settling In
RDEM I was at the cemetry last year looking for Moloneys, and spent about 3 hours wandering round searching and found nothing. The only thing we picked up was a very heavy cold!! My husband and daughter were really quite ill with it!! We intend to return at some time in the springtime, so I'll take a note of your relatives with me and let you know if I find anything.

HEATHER! Thanks, I will try St Columbas. Do you know what sort of details they might have? My husbands Moloneys weren't married here, but I would imagine that in order to have their children christened, they would have to show their marriage cert to prove that they were legally married? Do you think the church would hold details like that? If so, it would be a goldmine for me!!

Cheers biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scots Evelyn
post 7th Mar 2007, 09:46am
Post #15

Settling In
Rdem

Just had another thought. Last year my dad decided to try and find his grandparents last resting place in Sandyhills Cemetry, but had no luck. My mum then wrote to the council office for this area, giving them as much details as possible re dates and names and lo and behold, 3 months later, she got a lovely letter telling her exactly where the grave could be located (there are about 5 of them in the lair). The letter also said that, if my mum and dad gave a few days notice, someone from the council would meet them there and show them the exact location!! Wasn't that nice?? Most surprising, given that it's the Glesga Cooncil we're talking aboot!! They haven't been as yet, as my mum hasn't been too well, but they're waiting for the better weather.

wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.