Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Family Research, hard to find or have you started?
Rating 5 V
Gallusbisom
post 24th Aug 2006, 02:13pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Wee Sue,
What a great idea to post the "excess" stuff from the records we have obtained. We have been researching both sides of the family for years now and are now up to aprox. 2000 names and dates. But, as has been mentioned, sometimes you just don't have the time to devote to the research. We had not been actively pursuing it for the last few months when out of the blue on Monday evening we got a call from Nova Scotia. Someone with just an interest in their own surname had been looking through our family web page and it turns out that they are a 3rd (?)cousin- related through one of the ggg. grandparents that we had, more or less run into a dead end with. (No pun intended) We were on the phone for ages and the info. is invaluable and there is documentation too. My mother-in-law, who is 90 past, can't wait to hear what all we find about her g grandmother.

Time permitting, I will try and post the extra info. from any certs. etc. I have, if there is an interest. I also have some stuff from England, mainly the Portsmouth, Southhampton areas. GB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Java
post 24th Aug 2006, 04:42pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
This is a great idea...I have info from the Condorrat, Cumbernauld, Kilsyth, Kirkintilloch, Coatbridge areas as well as a little from Govan. Haven't managed to get as many names as you Gallus.. biggrin.gif ...anyone any idea of how to carry on the line when there is an apparent illegitimate child in it?

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
weesue
post 24th Aug 2006, 04:52pm
Post #18

Super Resident
Member No.: 930
Wow GB 2000 names!
I thought I was doing well with 200!

It can be so time consuming, choosing to do what I have done, and that is not all of the documents that I have... So you would really have to dedicate a day at a time to do it... And It is a small world sometimes.
Someone, somewhere could be watching this topic and hey presto!

I find the same thing happens to me. When I decide to take a wee break from researching for a while... When like you say:- Out of the blue someone or something can stir it all up again... Phew rolleyes.gif
Take care and keep digging GB...
Weesue

--------------------

+Quote Post
weesue
post 24th Aug 2006, 05:12pm
Post #19

Super Resident
Member No.: 930
Hey javamol
Find yourself a day and get typing eh! Great!

Just think, if you came across some info about your family that you didn't know about... Wow!

Because really you are more than likely only going to find out about your family if you start searching the net etc anyway...
And when you do a "Google" search for a surname, sometimes it finds that surname in posts in forums like this, true?

We could have the beginings of the next "Scotland Today" headlings... "The Famous Glasgow Guide web site has made a multitude of new Genealogists, according to new statistics! Which has disclosed thousands of matching names in marriages and the Scottish census results"!Heh heh! (dream on weesue)!

Re:"carry on the line when there is an apparent illegitimate child "

I think you would only have to go with the names on the document unless you new the father's name which could be made into a double barrelled name possibly!

Take care guys...
weesue

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 24th Aug 2006, 05:14pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Javamol,
One thing here, the word apparent is pretty important. Some marriages, for various reasons, were not recognised as "legitimate". I believe that at one time a couple could simply hold their hands under a running brook and say the right words and they were considered married (OK, so it was a long time ago but the point is, if it was not in the "proper" church of that day, any child could be considered outwith marriage.) So if the either parent died and the survivor then married in the proper church the child or children from that previous union would not be considered as legitimate. This is a bit of an oversimplification but you get the drift. I believe that if the child was registered the mother's name was given as in maiden name, prev. married names and current married names. The father's name was usually given if known (that is not a nasty remark, some girls did not want to name the father for a variety of reasons. Religion being one etc. )But it is my understanding that all births in Scotland have had to be registered for some generations now, having a birth date and place would be very helpful. If it is possible to post some idea of what you have i.e. a birthdate, family name (not the real name, just that you have that info.)the time frame, 18th, 19th century, maybe someone could suggest some other alternatives. Sure worth a try! smile.gif GB

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 24th Aug 2006, 05:41pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Hi WeeSue,
It amazes me sometimes too how much we have learned. I started when I first came to Canada, a long time ago, to keep all my letters back and forth between here and Scotland etc. and then it progressed to me wanting to know more about the family so I had the Scots Ancestral Research Society do some intial work back in the early 60's. That was a great starting point and I have just kept adding to it bit by bit ( I also include a lot of family stories etc. in the tree and anecdotes- I usually mark anyone still living as birthdate private unless I have their permission to be specific etc.) Then my husband "got the bug" so we have found lots of family from his side too. Now here is the weird part-although generations apart in emigrating our families came from within streets of each other in Ireland, Glasgow and Portsmouth etc. Now that gave me shivers. We have found and visited family in Portsmouth and the resemblance was so uncanny that one gg aunt thought it was her youngest brother walking in the door. (he had been lost at sea during the WW2-so it was bittersweet for her). We have since had them visit here to see where their relies. ended up coming to in 1910. Suffice it to say that the rewards are tremendous and the stories would make a book. Maybe one day-----------------Happy digging GB

+Quote Post
RonD
post 24th Aug 2006, 11:55pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Well, this is wonderful to get this kind of response on my favourite subject. On my Mother's side it's all Aberdeen (Deeside) and Kincardineshire (Howe of the Mearns), anyone have people up there?

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 25th Aug 2006, 05:12am
Post #23

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
rdem

Due [largely] to my having read your first post in this thread a few weeks ago , I decided to try and trace my family .

On my father's side I ran into obstacles quickly and only managed to identify 2 sets of great grandparents and 2 sets of great great grandparents.

I did better on my mother's side tracing a number of lines, one as far back as the mid 1700's and identifying quite a lot of my antecedents on my direct line of descent as well as others.

I'm stuck now and I don't know if I will ever be able to continue, but it was fun while it lasted.

A wee anecdote :-

I used to drive up to Deeside regularly and pass by a road sign in Perthshire that reads 'Findo Gask" . It always struck me as a funny name and I often thought I should get off the main road and have a look at it. Imagine my surprise a couple of weeks ago when I discovered during my researches that one set of my great great great grandparents was married in Trinity Gask [which formed part of the same estate] in 1827.

I'll make a point of visiting next trip.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 25th Aug 2006, 07:23am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Hello Wullie:

Glad to hear that my post was a catalyst in you starting your research.
Tell us about your "brickwall" and maybe one of us can help.

Where abouts is Findo Gask? What parish?
My Deeside ancestors were in Dyce, Cluny, Monymusk, Kinellar and Fintry (Aberdeenshire)

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 28th Aug 2006, 08:21am
Post #25

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
Hi rdem

Findo Gask is in Perthshire, south west of Perth. According to the Old Parochial Register of Trinity Gask [right next door] my great great great grandparents were married there in 1827. My GGG GM was also baptised there, in 1802. I can't get any further back with this line, so I don't know where they were before that.

I haven't found any antecedents from Deeside or elsewhere in Aberdeenshire but I find I've got ancestors in the Shetlands I knew nothing about, so...... who can say ?.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 28th Aug 2006, 12:22pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Oor Wullie;

Have used any census returns? People married in 1827 maybe on the 1851 census and it will tell you where they were born.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 28th Aug 2006, 12:38pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Paul:
The "D" in DNA must stand for Donegal in my case as about 2/3 of my Irish ancestry originates there. I also have a McNeillis (many spellings) from McNelis. I was forunate enough to have a birth certificate for one of the Bonars in 1855 but all it told was that parents were born in Donegal. As you probably know 1855 was the first year for civil reg. and it put the birthplace of the parents on it, I wish they maintained that feature. I knew about the Crampsey and bonar connection as well they is Kneafsey. Kneafsey and Crampsey being Anglicized version of the Gaelic word for bone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 28th Aug 2006, 01:19pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
One thing to keep in mind is that although the first name used in the family and perhaps given in a census etc. might be say Nan, that person's birth certificate/reg. could be Anna, Hannah, etc. Variations or family of pet names (Lizzie, Betty, Liza, Beth etc. all for Elizabeth) can confuse the issue. Of course most people know this and take it into consideration but there are less common ones. Humphree (the French connection biggrin.gif ) became Humphrey then down to Hugh in one branch of our family. And it pays to search 5 or so years either way of a given date, for many reasons but one of which is the mortality rate for children was high so a few years further on you might find the same name used again, and even again. Also, variations of the spelling of the family surname, we have Musgrove, Musgrave, Mushgrove, depending on which country the event was recorded, England, Ireland or Scotland. McDowall, McDowell, MacDowall, McDouall, all documented, all the same family.
I know these are simple hints but to anyone just starting out maybe it will be helpful.

One other resource I found was War Memorials. They list the names of the fallen and if you have any relatives that did service, and who does not, in any of the wars (and let's face it Britain has been involved in some sort of stuff since the outset of the Empire). I found two relies. on my husband's side from those, it also gave the name of the ship or regiment they were serving on/in at the time. You can, of course, ensure the info. is accurate through the armed forces records. Mind you, the hardest one is the Merchant Navy, in my opinion. They are very helpful but the records don't seem to be as extensive. Perhaps that is just what I have run into so far. Someone else may find it comletely different. GB

+Quote Post
RonD
post 28th Aug 2006, 04:35pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
All valid points, Gallus! I had anancestor born Elizabeth, married as Eliza and died as Bessy!
For those who had rellies who died in the two wars there is a great called www.cwgc.org
Some of the information is "barebones" no pun intended! and other mentions wives and parents.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 28th Aug 2006, 04:53pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Just a wee thought here: check out the memorial list of the "Hood". , as I understand it from my Mum, there were a lot of Glasgow boys went down on that ship. A lot were relatives and many were from a few doors up or down from each other . Now in Glasgow at that time a few "closes" up or down could still make you relies, one side of the family or the other. biggrin.gif
There are a million clues out there, but we have to move quickly as the family that have the info. are not getting any younger. Keep diggin' GB

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.