Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Family Research, hard to find or have you started?
Rating 5 V
RonD
post 26th Feb 2006, 02:59pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
I used to say that I have a hobby but I have owned to fact that it is an obsession. Is there anyone else who has thought about tracing their family? I think there a few out there who have done so . so ithought this could a forum for exchange of ideas of questions.

Step one, have a look at your Scottish birth certificate
It should tell you the following.
1. where and when the birth was registered.
2. name of the child and gender.
3. where and when it was born as well as usual residence of the registree.
4. name of the father (if known) and his occupation.
5. name of the mother and her maiden surname if changed by marriage.
6. an important item that is only found on Scottish birth certificates is where and when the parents were married.

This a key element that lets you search the marriage.of the parents.

I will gladly add items if there is any questions or interest out there.

Ron

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 26th Feb 2006, 04:08pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Rdem , this is also a "Hobby" of mine in truth it does become an obsession, but I love it doing the research. I have done this on & off over the past 30yrs, never get tired of it and found some great info.

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
RonD
post 26th Feb 2006, 04:27pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Good to hear Lennox,. I have been at it since 1974 too. I get lulls but never lose interest. So how far back are your lines and from where.
My paternal side is all famine and pre famine Irish. My maternal side are all from Kincardineshire and Aberdeenshire and a few in Angus shire

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 26th Feb 2006, 04:41pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
I must have the most secretive, family I know of , mum's side won't talk, dad was an only child ( with lots of cousins) so it has been a hard road. both sides are from Glasgow Temple and some links to Paisley, I have gone back 1842 so far and waiting for stuff to come now.
Great hobby but very slow moving

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 27th Feb 2006, 01:40am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Yes it does have it slow moments but it's like a big jigsaw puzzle sometimes you have to go away from i to see the next step.

What avenues have you used in your research Lennox?
Have you used www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 4th Mar 2006, 11:19pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
What avenues have you used in your research Lennox?
Have you used www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

Rdem so sorry I thought I replied to this seems not, yes I have tried this but I do a lot of mine the old way sending to Edinburgh for copies etc, I also use the mormon church they keep great records, and to be honest I like digging through old papers...

--------------------

+Quote Post
weesue
post 18th Apr 2006, 08:41pm
Post #7

Super Resident
Member No.: 930
Hi Rdem and Lennox
I am also researching my family tree. Using www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

I have got stuck trying to trace my maiden name, because my Father was an only son and his father only had a sister and his father came from Ireland (Don't know where)? I am one of five sisters, so end of the line there!
I have been tracing my paternal Grandmother's maiden name and got as far back as 1794 and have been in touch with a long distant relative in Ireland whose GG Grandfather was the brother of my GGG Grandfather... Phew!

I have put my whole family tree on http://www.genesconnected.co.uk/genesreunited.asp

And this is where I am getting contacts from...
I have also been researching my mother's maiden name and have got back to 1798... and have had contacts from Zimbabwe and Surrey... It's all consuming at times eh!

You do have to take a break now and again tho'...

And then you get the bug again... biggrin.gif
I am waiting on a document of my GGG Grandfather's marriage and I can't wait to get it to see what it reveals...
Most of my family on both sides came from Ireland, and moved to the Calton area of Glasgow, although my Grandmother was born in Edinburgh...
My wee Granny just died last year, she was 96 and I got some oral stories from her but not enough as she was a little confused for a few years... So it really is important for the kids to talk to their Grannies and Grandfathers eh!

Take care...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 22nd Apr 2006, 12:54pm
Post #8

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

I agree weesue. The above website is very useful and free of charge! When you first go on to this website it is best to click on the "International Genealogical Index" which appears on the left hand side of the page.

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
weesue
post 22nd Apr 2006, 01:10pm
Post #9

Super Resident
Well said Paul!
It is important to go to the IGI index first...
Still not got the document thru the post yet from
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.aspx mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 22nd Apr 2006, 01:18pm
Post #10

Super Lord Provost
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
is also a very useful website but you need to have your credit card handy.

I am particularly interested in my ancestors who stayed in the Garngad district of Glasgow. I have looked up many old Glasgow birth, marriage and death certificates and old census records on the above website. In the 1870s Garngad was classified as being part of the Springburn district of Glasgow. In the 1880s it was classified as being part of the St Rollox/Townhead district of Glasgow. In the 1890s it was classified as being part of the Dennistoun district of Glasgow. The old Garngad or Garngadhill district (now known as Royston or Roystonhill) was in fact sandwiched between all 3 of the above areas. It wasn't until the early 1900s that Garngad/Garngadhill started apearing as a distinct area on BMD certificates and census records.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 22nd Apr 2006, 03:45pm
Post #11

City Key Holder
Member No.: 318
Hello a' you fellow family-tree huggers. Ah'm addicted too and find it a lovely hobby. I think the Scotlandspeople website is an amazing resource; only thing better is sitting at a table in Register House, Edinburgh....too true about the old credit card being handy. I justify my excess swiping with the thought if the folk Ah'm checkin' out were here today, Ah'd be spending the money having a nice lunch wi' them! Ach ye can justify murder if ye've a mind, kin ye no'?

I agree with Paul that the Family Search is another terrific resource. When I started out, I got some good information from it and made contact with a wee second cousin in Australia. But I soon learned not to totally trust the information that's posted from other than official bodies. It can be grossly inaccurate...so use it to get you in the right direction but verify whatever you find through Scotlands People or such.

I find that the Census records are amazing "warehouses" of information....I can get lost in them for hours!

Happy digging!

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
RonD
post 15th May 2006, 08:30am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
I seem to have missed these last few posts. I am glad to see so many have the same interest as myself.
As we know it 's great to find people who share the interest but after thirty years I finally found family who are interested. You know what's it like when you mention this to family it's either:
"ah'm no interested or let me know when you get more!!"
This last year I contacted a first cousin who has become very interested and even more exciting is her 20 year old granddaughter can't get enough info . I am thrilled to see such a young person take on the mantle of family hsitorian.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 24th Aug 2006, 07:54am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
I have very little actual Glasgow ancestry. They are Patrick O'Donnell (dock labourer, son of Manus O'Donnell and Catherine Gallocher)who married Eliza Dougan (daughter of James Dougan and Eliza Moor)) in 1856 on Portugal Street, Gorbals. He died in 1867. I believe this was his second marriage. I can't find anything on his first wife. He is listed on the 1861 with a 13 year old daughter named Catherine. My immediate ancestor was his daughter Mary later known as Mary Jane, she was born in 1861 at 62 Rumford St. Glasgow who married Neil Bonar (coal miner) in 1881 at Johnstone, Renfrewshire. Mary Jane had two other sisters, Eliza and Helen. On the 1861 census there was listed a 4 yearold Jane Waddell as an adopted daughter as well as a boarder name Jane Dougan, presumably Eliza's sister.

What about yours? Who knows who is connected to who!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 24th Aug 2006, 12:53pm
Post #14

Super Lord Provost
Hi rdem.

O'Donnell, Gallacher, Bonar and Dougan are names long associated with County Donegal. The links between Glasgow and Donegal are very strong.
Gallacher is in fact the most common surname in Donegal. The O'Donnells were the ruling family in Donegal in pre-Plantation times. (I am sure you have heard of 'Red' Hugh O'Donnell.)
Bonar is the anglicized version of the Gaelic Irish surname Crampsey. The Bonar/Crampsey surname first appeared in Donegal around the 11th century.
My father's ancestors are nearly all from County Donegal. In fact, I know that my greatgreatgrandmother was an Eleanor (Ellen) Bonar from Callan, Drumkeen, parish of Convoy, Donegal.
My family tree appears on this family history forum under the topic 'Have you ever been across the sea to Ireland?' started by you.

You may encounter a major problem if you try searching for your Donegal ancestors. Catholic births, marriages and deaths were not registered in County Donegal prior to 1864! You can only find Protestant BMDs prior to this date.

All the best,

Paul

--------------------

+Quote Post
weesue
post 24th Aug 2006, 01:36pm
Post #15

Super Resident
As I have said I have been researching my family tree for a long time now and have discovered that both sides of the family came from Ireland and both seemed to end up in the Calton/Bridgeton area of Glasgow.
I have paid for a lot of printed documents from:-
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
The documents that you get from this site are just a record of, and not the full certificates. So on the records you often find other people's names and details and I think someone could be looking for these details and I have them already...
It would save them paying for the same details...
So I am going to post a list of names, knowing that there is a very small chance that anyone on the Glasgow Guide could have a connection... But you never know, eh!
So if you recognise a name and it tallies up with a date then you can get in touch and maybe you could be on the beginings of your own Genealogy!
Sorry but some of the hand written names just can not be made out, so I have had to guess!

Here goes:-
1857, Marriage, Calton Area,
John Robb, age 31, Govan St, Engine Fitter
Elizabeth Hellon,? 31, Govan St
------------------------------------------------------------
1851 Census Trongate Glasgow
George Graham, age 31, ? maker, Born England
Susan Graham, age 31, Born England
George Graham, age 7 Born England
Elizabeth Graham, age 1 Born England
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1866 Census Trongate Glasgow
Alexander McDonald. age 44. City Porter. Born Lanark
Janet McDonald, age 42, Muslin Sewer, Born Glasgow
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1866 Marriage Blythewoods Glasgow
James Leslie, (Widower), age 31, Burnside St Glw, Mason Journeyman
Martha Clough, age 30 Burnside St,
---------------------------------------------------------------
1898 Marriage Calton area
John Neilly, age 20, Wood turner, Halvern(?) Place
Maggie Sheilds, age 18, French Polisher, Halvern Pl
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1861 Census Glasgow
East Rose St, James McFarlane, age 22, Edge Steel maker, Born Ireland
East Rose St, Ann McFarlane, 21, Born Lanarkshire
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of the hand writing is illegible, so might not make sense...
The family names in my family tree are:-
Casey, Conly, Connelly, Croal, Cummiskey, Dingwall, Duffy, Gilliland, Holmes, Kelso, McKean, Morrison, Roache, Sproul, Turbitt, Williamson and Young.

Feel free to get in touch about anything mentioned above
weesue

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.