Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Garngad Family History, Irish families of the old Garngad
Rating 4 V
valros
post 1st Jun 2006, 08:52am
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,069
AndyR1,

Good to see someone else having connections with the area.
If I knew your Dad's name I may have heard of him or heard my parents mention the name.
Possibly Lizmac and Magsos too would recognise the name.

What was it you wanted to know about the area as it was ? If I know anything I will certainly tell you.

Valros
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AndyR1
post 3rd Jun 2006, 07:00am
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 3,402
Thanks Valros the name of the families are Reidford, Clark and Brown and as far as I can tell the Reidfords lived in 74 Earlston Avenue from the early 1930`s until the 1950`s but the families lived in the area before these dates. The Clark/Brown family had a grocery shop in the area but I dont know its name. Any help would be great as I`ve got family in Canada who are trying to find out more about Garngad.

+Quote Post
valros
post 3rd Jun 2006, 08:16am
Post #18

Super Resident
AndyR1

My cousin and family lived at 134 Earlston Avenue in the mid to late 50s, I will ask them if they knew any of the names mentioned.
I lived close by myself but didn't know many people in the Avenue.

There were a couple of dairy shops that I can remember in it at that time, one was Anderson's dairy, the other was used much less.
I will post if I find out anything

Valros

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 6th Jun 2006, 10:10am
Post #19

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
At the start of the 20th century Glasgow was known as the 2nd city of the British Empire. Only London had a greater population.
Glasgow's population continued to grow and peaked at around 1.1 million in the 1931 census.

In the 1920s, Garngad had the highest population density of any area in the city of Glasgow with people living literally on top of one another. There was no space available for the construction of extra accommodation within the area due to the large number of factories - the very thing that had drawn so many people to the area in the 1st place.

The tenements of old Garngad had been quickly constructed to house the large influx of workers from mainly the northern counties of Ireland. These buildings were of low quality and only had outside communal toilets. Many large families had to stay in single-roomed homes. A few fortunate families stayed in two-roomed dwellings. There was gross overcrowding. Respiratory and lung diseases were rife due to the high levels of pollution from the factories. Mortality rates were high and Garngad's slums were considered to be amongst the worst in Europe. Something had to be done to alleviate the situation.

In 1933, Glasgow's 1st major slum clearance programme of the 20th century was started by the Glasgow Corporation in Garngad. Many of the worst buildings were demolished and new accommodation was built in their place. Some families were rehoused in the newly constructed Garngad tenements, though a large number were rehoused in Germiston, Blackhill and Provanmill, areas to the east of Garngad.

The Blackhill housing scheme opened in 1935. Around 40% of the scheme's original tenants were from Garngad. Blackhill was one of the most notorious housing schemes in Glasgow. It was the home of the late Arthur Thompson and more recently Paul Ferris.
Most of Blackhill was demolished in 1990 to make way for the M80 motorway.

Following the 2nd World War, even more intensive slum clearances were carried out by the Glasgow Corporation. These slum clearances took place in many of the inner city areas of Glasgow:- Garngad (again!), Gorbals, Bridgeton, Calton, Gallowgate, Townhead, Cowcaddens and others.
New housing schemes were built on the periphery of Glasgow- Easterhouse, Castlemilk, Drumchapel, etc - to rehouse people from these areas. The Scottish new towns of East Kilbride, Cumbernauld, Livingston and Irvine were also built.
Many Garngad families were relocated to the new housing schemes in the east and north of Glasgow - Easterhouse, Cranhill, Ruchazie, Barlanark, Garthamlock, Barmulloch etc.

Garngad's name was changed to Royston in 1942.

The slum clearances following the 2nd World War virtually obliterated Garngad's identity. Many old street names had been lost forever. More significantly, most of Garngad's families had gone.

This post has been edited by GG: 1st Feb 2009, 09:09pm

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 12th Jun 2006, 01:28pm
Post #20

Super Lord Provost
I was wondering if any of you have ever searched for your Garngad ancestors' birth, marriage and death certificates and census records on the www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk website or at the Mitchell Library. If you have, you would have realised that Garngad or Garngadhill did not exist as a distinct area on official documents in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The streets of Garngad were invariably described as being in the districts of St Rollox, Townhead, Dennistoun or even Springburn.

For example, my grandfather's 1895 birth certificate states that he was born at 248 Charles Street in the district of Dennistoun. Back then, Dennistoun was probably the 'poshest' area in the east end of Glasgow. Although it was to the immediate south east of Garngad, Dennistoun was in many ways a million miles from Garngad.
(Charles St was in fact in north Garngad and wasn't even close to Dennistoun.)

Garngad or Garngadhill only started to appear as a distinct area on official documents in the early 1900s (possibly around 1910).

In the late 1800s, the district of St Rollox usually referred to Garngad, Sighthill (Fountainwell Road) and the northern part of Townhead (around Castle St, Kennedy St, Parliamentary Road, Martyr St and Glebe St).
The southern part of Townhead (around High Street and Glasgow Cross) was in the district of Blackfriars.

Nowadays, Royston (formerly Garngad) and Sighthill are home to many of Glasgow's asylum seekers and refugees. In the early 21st century, just as in the late 19th century, Royston is the first home of many new immigrants to Glasgow.

This post has been edited by Paul Kelly: 13th Jun 2006, 12:45pm

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 13th Jun 2006, 02:58pm
Post #21

Super Lord Provost
If you are interested in reading more about the Garngad area then you should do a GOOGLE search for

ROYSTON ROAD PROJECT HISTORY OF THE AREA

The history section of the Royston Road Project website was written by Jim Friel and contains a lot of information about Garngad/Townhead and the northeast of Glasgow.

TheGlasgowStory website also has information on Garngad, including a photograph from 1925. I would love to know where exactly in Garngad it was taken.

To see the photograph, do a GOOGLE search for

THEGLASGOWSTORY GARNGAD SLUM HOUSING

The photograph can be enlarged.

Regards,

Paul

This post has been edited by Paul Kelly: 14th Jun 2006, 01:55pm

--------------------

+Quote Post
valros
post 13th Jun 2006, 10:35pm
Post #22

Super Resident
Thanks for the information Paul.

I have already read all of Jim Friel's account of the Garngad and it gave vivid memories.
His Father in law was the very first barber to cut my hair, he was known as Joe the barber--Joe Piscane, his shop was on Royston Road.

Haven't looked at the other site but I will

Valros smile.gif

+Quote Post
maggie wilkie
post 14th Jun 2006, 07:32pm
Post #23

Resident
Member No.: 17
very interesting ive been reseaching my tree too ,and my mothers family came from parliamentary rd ,always wondered where is was now i know,
maggie

+Quote Post
valros
post 14th Jun 2006, 07:47pm
Post #24

Super Resident
I used to go with my Mother to do shopping in Parliamentary Road Maggie, and often went into Tyler's shoe shop for shoes for school !!

Valros smile.gif

+Quote Post
maggie wilkie
post 14th Jun 2006, 08:15pm
Post #25

Resident
my great grandmother lived there but was around 1900

+Quote Post
valros
post 14th Jun 2006, 09:22pm
Post #26

Super Resident
I think a wee bit before my time Maggie biggrin.gif

Valar

+Quote Post
maggie wilkie
post 15th Jun 2006, 07:05pm
Post #27

Resident
yes i gathered that lol u would be over 100

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 16th Jun 2006, 06:00pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
Valros

I was born in Parliamentaty Road in 1929.

Ma maw couldny get a hoose laugh.gif

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 16th Jun 2006, 06:05pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
By the way people

Its no Garngad any more !!!! it is Royston and Roystonhill !!

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
valros
post 16th Jun 2006, 08:06pm
Post #30

Super Resident
Tommy,

It's been Royston Road and Roystonhill since 1942 but people still said Garngad. I never knew it as Garngadhill or road but my parents did.

Valros

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.