Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welltrees House Rutherglen Scotland, 1942 building on Cathcart Road
the brauns
post 20th Jul 2008, 10:45pm
Post #1

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,882
Hello, I'm looking for any information on a house in Rutherglen, 15 Cathcart Road, called Welltrees House. I know it existed in 1942 and perhaps a bit later. Anyone remember it or have pictures?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 21st Jul 2008, 04:51am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Hello Brauns , are you sure it was on Cathcart Road?'Cause to my memory Rutherglen is a long way from Cathcart Road.I could be wrong , there might even be two , but I don't think so. huh.gif

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
the brauns
post 21st Jul 2008, 02:33pm
Post #3

Super Lord Provost
Hello Penny, I have two old newspaper articles about my POW father from 1942 stating that he lived at "Welltrees" 15 Cathcart Rd, Rutherglen. That's about all I know other than my older cousins remember my grandparents being caretakers or gardeners there and actually visiting the house.
I have written to the Rutherglen Reformer but they don't know about it.

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 21st Jul 2008, 11:08pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
I have a friend who lives here in Australia who is originally from Rutherglen , I will e mail him and ask if he has heard of it, he would be in his mid 70's I would reckon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 21st Jul 2008, 11:19pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
cathcart road is not in rutherglen as my sister in law lives there and my brother lives in rutherglen a know that the rehabilitation palses is in the old materiaty at the back of overton park and the tame of the units are limetrees or rowantrees so a dont think its existed in rutherglen am writing in the dark as am to lazy to get up and put the light on laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
the brauns
post 21st Jul 2008, 11:40pm
Post #6

Super Lord Provost
Penny, that would be great if you would check with your friend in Australia.

Stuarty, I tried to attach the news article from 1942 stating 15 Cathcart Rd, Rutherglen. Was it ever considered to be part of Rutherglen? I hope the attachment comes through.

Attached Image
d.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 21st Jul 2008, 11:59pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Is it possible that Cathcart Road in Rutherglen has been either renamed or even demolished?

+Quote Post
the brauns
post 22nd Jul 2008, 12:40am
Post #8

Super Lord Provost
I received a letter today from the Mitchell (Culture and Sport Glasgow) stating that property at 15-33 Cathcart Rd was demolished in 1957 by the Burgh of Rutherglen. I guess it is recorded in the Rutherglen Dean of Guild indexes. I had enquired by mail a few weeks ago and just received the reply today. So I know there was something at 15 Cathcart Rd. The Mitchell indexes show a house at 15 Cathcart Rd but it is not named. The proprietor was Holmes Ltd. and the tenant was indeed my grandfather. I would LOVE to have a picture of this building. I have a small picture of me with my two cousins sitting on our grandparents laps in front of a building with huge bricks. I'm thinking this might be #15 Cathcart Rd. If it was indeed a large building, someone may remember it.

+Quote Post
the brauns
post 22nd Jul 2008, 01:10am
Post #9

Super Lord Provost
I forgot to mention in the post above, only the front of the house and the doorway are visible in the photo I have.

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 23rd Jul 2008, 03:44am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Well it appears Cathcart Road is indeed in Rutherglen , David my mate remembers it well , his sister works for the Reformer and he is going to Email her and ask if there is anything in the archive about Well field House.I'll let you know if he comes through with anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heather
post 23rd Jul 2008, 10:29am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Yes there is a Cathcart Road in Rutherglen. It was two minutes from where we lived in Kings Park and I used to go to a Garden Centre in that Road.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
the brauns
post 23rd Jul 2008, 12:17pm
Post #12

Super Lord Provost
There is a lovely young woman at the Reformer who has been searching the archives for me. She has sent loads of information! I really appreciate her help.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 23rd Jul 2008, 04:59pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
QUOTE (the brauns @ 22nd Jul 2008, 12:57 AM) *
I received a letter today from the Mitchell (Culture and Sport Glasgow) stating that property at 15-33 Cathcart Rd was demolished in 1957 by the Burgh of Rutherglen. I guess it is recorded in the Rutherglen Dean of Guild indexes. I had enquired by mail a few weeks ago and just received the reply today. So I know there was something at 15 Cathcart Rd. The Mitchell indexes show a house at 15 Cathcart Rd but it is not named. The proprietor was Holmes Ltd. and the tenant was indeed my grandfather. I would LOVE to have a picture of this building. I have a small picture of me with my two cousins sitting on our grandparents laps in front of a building with huge bricks. I'm thinking this might be #15 Cathcart Rd. If it was indeed a large building, someone may remember it.
a was born in 57 so a knew it wisny in my time but thanks for showing me that it did exist

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
the brauns
post 23rd Jul 2008, 05:55pm
Post #14

Super Lord Provost
Here's a picture taken in 1948 showing the front of the house. At least, what I believe is the house. Otherwise, I'm not sure where this was taken. Stuarty, looks like I'm a bit older than you, I'm the baby in the picture. Thanks for checking anyway.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 23rd Jul 2008, 11:01pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Aw What a lovely old photo, good luck with your search Brauns.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.