Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conaghan Family History, Conaghan's
lconaghan
post 12th Nov 2007, 10:16am
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 5,133
I am searching for some information on my GGG grandfather John Conaghan who moved to Glasgow from County Derry in the 1830's to 40's. John was a master flesher and lived at 170 Saltmarket and had shops in King Street. He was born in 1791 and died aged 75 in 1866. On the 1841 census he was married to a Susan Gallacher and had 6 children (3 of whom had a different mother, Margaret Gallacher). On the 1851 census he was now married to Margaret Ford who is my GGG grandmother. They had ten children the last one being born seven months after John died. John also had a brother Hugh, who was a licenced auctioneer (1812-1876 married to Bridget McGroarty aged 64 years) and Helen(1807-1867 aged about 60 years and married to Daniel Hill who was a baker) who both moved to Glasgow in the 1840's. Their father was William Conaghan( farmer) and Helen Docherty. All the children were literate as they signed birth, marriage and death certificates.All the Conaghan families I can find are in Donegal but on a 1855 birth certificate it clearly states County Derry. If anyone has any information or where to start looking please get in touch. Thanks. Lorna

Other names in my tree:- Docherty, Gallacher, Ford, Hill, McGroarty,Cunnian,McGinty, McGinley, Turnbull, Stewart, McGough,Jackson, Carey, Wilson, McQuade, Paterson,Hynd, King, Mallon, Richards, Johnstone and Little.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 13th Nov 2007, 07:00am
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
Hi Lorna and welcome to the Glasgow Guide.

I have read through all 4 of your posts and I can see you have a lot of native Irish surnames in your extended family tree.
The surnames of Conaghan, Gallacher/Gallagher, Docherty/Doherty, McGroarty, McGinty, McGinlay/McGinley, McNulty and McConway are strongly associated with west Ulster, particularly County Donegal. In fact, Gallagher followed by Doherty are the 2 most common surnames in Donegal. The surnames of Hinds/Hynes and Ford are strongly associated with the Province of Connacht in the west of Ireland, especially County Galway, and the surnames of McGough, McQuade/McQuaid, Mallon and Rogan are strongly associated with south Ulster (Armagh, Monaghan, Down, south Tyrone, etc). Cunnian and Donohue are also Irish surnames. In addition, Carey and King are sometimes native Irish surnames, as are possibly one or two of the other surnames you mentioned.

http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/surname

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
lconaghan
post 14th Nov 2007, 01:07pm
Post #3

Settling In
Member No.: 5,133
Glad to see I have the two most common names in Donegal. I should probably expect to be doing this tree for many years to come.

+Quote Post
**jenny**
post 13th Apr 2009, 03:27am
Post #4

hi
i am in australia and also researching the conaghan name i have a william conaghan b 1834 @ donegal he married janet ramsey dorian c 1861 @ ayshire scotland. His father was andrew conaghan b 1812 and married sarah tolan . andrews parents were patrick and sarah mcmenary

do any of these people exist in you family tree anywhere if so could you send the relevant information to me email address is jk538142@hotkey.net.au

thanks heaps
jen

+Quote Post
**Loretta**
post 1st Sep 2009, 12:44am
Post #5

Hello,

I, too, am looking for a Conaghan who was supposed to have been from Donegal (possibly had lived on "some islands," we were told. Our Conaghan married a T. J. Roney (Thomas Jefferson Roney). They had four children but only one lived...that would have been my Grandmother, Loretta Roney. Loretta Roney married Matthew Gunson....They had two children. One lives at 97 and that would be my Mother. She is quite active, believe it or not, searching her tree. If you have heard anything about Mary, I hope you'll let us know.

Thank you very much,

Loretta Brown
West Palm Beach, FL

+Quote Post
*Annie Thomas*
post 14th Jun 2015, 12:08pm
Post #6

Good day,

I just came across your message and thought I would respond for what it's worth.

I live in the US. My grandfather was Patrick Connaghan. He lived in Losset, County Donegal. Was a farmer and blacksmith. He worked as a young man at Glenveigh Castle before coming to Philadelphia. He married Johannah " Hannah" Gallagher who was born in Termon. He had a. Brother, Hugh, who followed him to Philadelphia.

I was told that Patrick traveled and lived for a time in Scotland because he had family there. He played football/soccer there as well. He was quite an athlete. That gene sure passed down to my cousins...

Perhaps we are related. We are doing the cheek swab test and I will get back to you. My email address is aat@itstriangle.com. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Annie Thomas.

+Quote Post
*Lorna Conaghan*
post 16th Jul 2015, 09:02am
Post #7

Hi Annie, I wonder where in Scotland they came to, it would be very interesting to find out. Our Conaghans settled in Glasgow and then some went on to New York in the 1880's. There seem to be a lot in Pennsylvania too. When we first started our tree we thought it would be easy with an uncommon name like Conaghan, how wrong can you be.
Lorna.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.