Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> J. & S. Sternstein Photographers Glasgow, Is it still there?
Oor Wullie
post 27th Oct 2006, 04:23am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
Could anybody living in the Glasgow Area look up the Yellow Pages and see if there is a listing for a photographic studio called " J.& S. . Sternstein" ?

I can't find one on the net.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Oct 2006, 08:20am
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Oor Wullie,

I found the following at another website and, given this information, and the fact that a Sternstein is not listed in the Glasgow directories as a photographer, I think that establishment is no longer active.

Mr Sternstein's Photos...

In June 2001, we had a letter from Allen Sternstein, whose father photographed and processed all the class photos from the 1940s to the 1970s, produced by the "J. & S. Sternstein" company in Glasgow. The company was founded by his great-grandfather, Jachiel Sternstein, and his grandfather Sigmund, from Hamburg.

Allen had found our web site while searching the Internet for references to the name "Sternstein". He'd looked at our photo from Stuart Tod in 1969, but we also have Jimmy Brown's photo from 20 years earlier, showing the Sternstein name, and most other class photos we've had from Former Pupils were taken by the company.

"Your students and staff may be interested to know that the photo would have sold for two shillings and six pence (12.5p) in 1969 and was manufactured using the same production and finishing methods that my grandfather used in the early 20th Century.

"The camera he used at that time was a wooden camera with bellows and a wooden tripod - the film was mounted in a wooden casette and he would have had a black heavy cloth over the back of the camera, under which he would have removed a cover to expose the film to make the picture.

"Shortly after the photo was taken, my father updated the product range to include colour photography. This change was substantial, as it heralded the end of the company's manufacturing and finishing operation after nearly 100 years of photo artistry. I can well remember my father agonising over the rise price from 2/6d to 7/6p (37.5p)!

"Many schools across the central belt and south of Scotland have photographs by J & S Sternstein and have displays on show in local museums. The business began in 1873 and actually established itself during the first World War when soldiers visited the studio to have their photo taken before going off to war.

"During the second World War, there were severe restrictions on the availability of photographic materials for civil use, so the business could not continue until the war ended.

"The letters in the company name (J & S) stood for Jachiel and Sigmund, the names of my great-grandfather and grandfather. They came to Scotland in the mid 1800's from Hamburg and settled in Glasgow.

"Well, I hope the information above will be of some interest and I wish you all success in your Web activities."

Your editor wrote back to Allen, saying that he too remembered having class photos taken by Sternstein in Glasgow, and still had the photos. Like many of the Holmston Former Pupils' photographs, the quality of the pictures is very good, even when copied and compressed for fast downloads over the Internet.

Allen replied -

"Yes. It would have been my father that took your photo in the 50's and 60's. It is quite amazing how many people from their 40's onwards still have photos in good condition.

"In the 30's my grandfather was made an associate of the Royal Photographic Society (a rare honour for a Scotsman) for his photographic skills and work quality. There were only a few people given that award in the country.

"I still actually have the article from the newspaper and the certificate. He was a photo artist and the quality was built to last. They did make photographs to last 100 years in those days - but of course they had to wait 100 years to prove the point!

"He also was commissioned to photograph the Rennie Mackintosh Glasgow Art College and I still have the portfolio. I also have sepia-tone (the brown colour photos) school group photos taken from 1879 and they are still in excellent condition - it is some of these that are in the museum in Biggar.

"During the First War, and on active service, he took his camera to the battlefields and I still have the photos and the negatives."

http://www.hz06.dial.pipex.com/issue36/i36s7stern1.html

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Guest_Oor Wullie*
post 27th Oct 2006, 12:01pm
Post #3

Many thanks to GG for a prompt and informative reply.

Could the service on this site be any better ?

If it could I don't see how.

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 27th Oct 2006, 12:05pm
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
Many thanks to GG for a prompt and informative reply.

Could the service on this site be any better ?.

If it could I don't see how

+Quote Post
asternstein
post 30th Nov 2006, 12:09am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,110
The J & S Sternstein Scholastic Photgraphers business ceased when my father Jack Sternstein died in 1974. What remains throughout Scotland are a vast number of school photgraphs people have kept over the years and museums have on display. The business started in the 1860s or the early 1870s. The photos were known for their high quality; many sepia and black & white have lasted over 100 years and have still not faded or discoloured. If you want to contact me with your enquiry you can reach me at asternstein@hotmail.com

Allen Sternstein

+Quote Post
*MAR1NER03*
post 16th May 2008, 11:11am
Post #6

Dear GG
I have read with interest your reply regarding J & S and their involvement over a long time with all things photographic.
My question is as follows:- I collect topographical postcards of my home village in east Lincolnshire. Amongst my collection I have several cards, real photographic, sepia, possibly mid 1930s, well composed views. Some of these are denoted on the front as J S followed by a four digit serial number whilst the others which are of a very similar overall appearance are marked J & S followed by a four digit serial number. The reverse offers no clues as to the publisher.
I am I right in thinking these postcards might have been produced by Messrs Sternstein or am I completely adrift with this assumption ? Any form of reply would be much appreciated.

Chris, Cornwall UK

+Quote Post
*Allen Sternstein*
post 6th Oct 2008, 08:40pm
Post #7

I am not aware of my grandfather producing postcards, but maybe he did! Interested in seeing a sample to see if I can recognise anything that might link the item with what I remember.

+Quote Post
*Chris **
post 11th Nov 2008, 09:33pm
Post #8

Allen,
Thank you for your reply. I think I have solved the mystery. It would seem that my J & S postcards are actually Messrs Jarrolds from Norwich. Thank you once again.
Chris

+Quote Post
Alexj
post 23rd Jul 2009, 07:20pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,235
With regards to the school photographs taken in the 1960's is their such a thing as a catalogue were these photo's can be viewed with the option to purchase.

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 10th Jan 2010, 08:45pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hrer is two of the firms photos one at saracen school the other at possil school

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
tombro
post 11th Jan 2010, 08:49am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
THis one is of my Primary 5 class at St Sixtus' School, Drumchapel in 1959.

Attached Image

As you can see on the bottom, it is a Sternstein photograph.

Tombro smile.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
stratson
post 11th Jan 2010, 02:05pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Tombro>>>>where are you in photo? huh.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
tombro
post 12th Jan 2010, 10:14am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Stratson,

I'm the wee guy at the right hand end of the top row !

I sent that pic to the old 'oorDrum' site just before it closed down. I could remember the names of thirty-six of the forty-four kids in the photo.

Love to know where any of them are now !

Tombro smile.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
stratson
post 12th Jan 2010, 08:24pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Like your wee bow tie, your Mammy kept you nice.

Would be nice if the others got in touch with you.

Is amazing who sees those photos and recognise themselves or kin.

Not long until your holiday. Have a nice time. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
*Graham Vincent*
post 9th Feb 2010, 05:24pm
Post #15

I am in possession of a photograph by "J. Sternstein, Photographic Artist - Specially for Groups - 364 St George's Road, Glasgow", of a school group including my grandfather, Henry Canning, taken circa 1895. The printed rear of the card bears the further inscriptions "This picture can be enlarged to any size and finished in oil or water colours. Copies may be had, all negatives being kept".

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Feb 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.