Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 16 Rowchester Street
MacPean
post 7th Jun 2016, 06:24pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 6,527
Hi I'm tracing my grandmother and her family. My grandmother Grace Hyslop was born on September 29 1928 at 16 Rowchester Street Camlachie. Ive been searching for this street but have found very little. I think there might have been a tram depot there? Does anyone know much about this street or area or any idea where I can find out more? Thank you smile.gif

--------------------
Just waiting for my Hogwarts letter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 14th Jan 2018, 01:38pm
Post #2

Yest it had a horse draw tram then electric trams later in Rowchester st.. only that and tenements in the street except at the top end on Gallowgate where Keoch and Savage shop stood and an Off sales on the other corner... this was in the 50s. I knew the Hollinger family from that street.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 18th Jan 2018, 01:15pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (MacPean @ 7th Jun 2016, 06:24pm) *
Hi I'm tracing my grandmother and her family. My grandmother Grace Hyslop was born on September 29 1928 at 16 Rowchester Street Camlachie. Ive been searching for this street but have found very little. I think there might have been a tram depot there? Does anyone know much about this street or area or any idea where I can find out more? Thank you :)

Hello

You may find the following information helpful.

I went on to The Glasgow Story website, and found the following information regarding 16 Rowchester street. I should have given you their website address, sorry!

Anyway, once you get on the website click on Valuation Rolls (which will appear in pink).

Then in the box 'What', enter Ward 03. Don't forget to enter the 0!

Then in the box 'Where,' enter Rowchester Street. The details for this street are given on four pages. To save time, 16 Rowchester Street is on page 23.

There you will find the names of the tenants living there, and their details.

The names listed are,

Reid, Reilly, Robertson, Miller, Grant, Black, Dennistoun, Marshal, ngus, Harper, Young, Davidson, Scouler.

Their annual rents varied form aout 5 to *8. Their occupations are also given.

Please note, this website is now unstaffed. I had problems getting onit with my computer, but probably because I have an old version of Windows. I was successful using my iPad.

Hope this is of some help. You can also access local area maps on this website.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 19th Jan 2018, 10:48am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello again MacPean

The website address for the Glagow Story, is

www.theglasgowstory.com

To anyone else who is looking for interesting information on old Glasgow circa 2016, this is a useful website.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.