Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvinside Avenue
Rabbie
post 24th Jan 2012, 01:43pm
Post #76

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Attached Image

Kelvinside Ave junction with Maryhill Road.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 24th Jan 2012, 02:54pm
Post #77

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Good photo Rabbie with view of HLI Bar on the corner.Id suggest from the angle photo taken from Danny Bunsen or Johnny Whiffs science classes on the top storey of NK school.Keep `em coming Rabbie!
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 24th Jan 2012, 03:38pm
Post #78

Mega City Key Holder
Attached Image

It's a wee bit higher up than the science class Joop, unless they were flying kites to interact with electrical charges in the form of lightning. Knowing kids of that era, that was a distinct possiblity.

Any idea what the name of the church was (North Kelvinside, perhaps) and the name of the pub on the corner, just opposite Oban Drive and the Church?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 24th Jan 2012, 03:58pm
Post #79

Mega City Key Holder
Rabbie another good picture.Showing what was called the NK "Old Building" and the junction where Oban Drive and Fergus Drive meet.In the pic there is a view of the HLI and on the other corner I dont think it was a pub although Ill stand corrected and maybe someone can enlighten us.The premises you are on about was a Fish and Chip shop as far as I recall.
Nice to see the lady in curlers and her bairn made it to the top of the avenue.
Im interested in when it was taken as I dont see the wooden buildings which served as a gym.They were on the side of the school and ran parallel to Agnes Street
Rabbie are they the same picture?
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 24th Jan 2012, 04:38pm
Post #80

Mega City Key Holder
Attached Image

Yeap Joop, both snips were cut from the same image. Yet another lucky from the vitual midden. Might be able to date it from state of building, cars, trams etc,.

In order to solve the riddle of "The Wee Wifie in the Funny Coat.", I am raking the vitual midden for more images. My close associates in The Berlin Bunker may have some pre-dating the var, you know.

The Luffwaffle did a better job of collecting aerial images of Glasgow than our RAF Blue Jobs did. Mind ye the RAF did not have any nefarious intent.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 24th Jan 2012, 05:25pm
Post #81

Mega City Key Holder
This picture shows the wooden gym hall down the side of the school.The buiding between the tenements in Agnes Street was a garage.
One of the things that jumped out was the density of the housing in such a small area which is unrecognisable today.

+Quote Post
*c canning*
post 28th Jul 2012, 11:46pm
Post #82

im sure thats 14 kelvinside avenue. I stayed there. I even think the kid is me looking down the grate ito the dunnies. Its about 1965. There were shops on the right when you looked down kelvinside avenue. Cant remember what the first one was. but the whitish bit further down was mr singhs

+Quote Post
Lornamck
post 6th Jan 2013, 05:20pm
Post #83

Unpacking
Member No.: 17,678
[quote name='c canning' date='29th Jul 2012, 12:03am' post='3583207']
im sure thats 14 kelvinside avenue. I stayed there. I even think the kid is me looking down the grate ito the dunnies. Its about 1965. There were shops on the right when you looked down kelvinside avenue. Cant remember what the first one was. but the whitish bit further down was mr singhs
[/

+Quote Post
Lornamck
post 6th Jan 2013, 05:21pm
Post #84

Unpacking
QUOTE (c canning @ 29th Jul 2012, 12:03am) *

Is that you Catherine , I lived over the landing from you in 14 kelvinside ave

+Quote Post
Lornamck
post 6th Jan 2013, 05:25pm
Post #85

Unpacking
I used to live in 14kelvinside ave , I was born in 11kelvinside ave then we left for the drum ,for4months, then back to 14,

+Quote Post
*Richard D*
post 7th Mar 2013, 12:37pm
Post #86

I used to live in Number 10, kelvinside Avenue, the chip shop (baldes).The owner had a bald head,we used to call him baldie.was next to us.The side entrance to the shop was in side our close.ABOUT The shops, There was a Shop on the left going UP, to wards the H.L.I. Pub,Maryhill Road,The Owners name was Mr Sing,it was a very small shop.He used to give everyone Tick.(pay you on pay day) lol.Over on the other side,going down towards the swing park.There was some shops,and one of the shops was turned in to a sweatshop.I remember it had double light blue doors. The picture of the lady WALKING UP THE HILL.Is where the sweatshop use to be.They made them nylon hooded zip child jackets with the furry lining in them.My mum used to get them cheap from there because it was a little factory.The owners where from Indi. My family move from Kelvinside ave in 1971 when i was 12 years old,to live in Merseyside.I still miss Glasgow to this day.We had a great childhood there.

+Quote Post
**jim**
post 12th Feb 2014, 09:58pm
Post #87

QUOTE (wee mags @ 22nd Nov 2011, 02:09am) *
when I first came to the States ,Imet a nice elderly man and woman from Kelvinside Ave ,they were so good to me ,their names were Bill &Isabel Cambell ,they came here to join their daughter Isobel and their son -in-law Stanley Brown ,the year I met them was 1959

Reply to above..

Bill and Isobel (Iza) lived top flat @ 12 Kelviside Ave, Bill was a miller at a Partick four mill. Stan brown, deceased, was my best pal in Glasgow, later in Norwalk CN after we moved to the US.

Stan is survived by a son, James whom I think served in the US military. Stan had a brother by his American mother.... lost track of Isobel in Maine circa 1970.

Jim

+Quote Post
*Shug R*
post 29th Apr 2017, 06:44pm
Post #88

Hi all, I lived in 12 Kelvinside Ave from when I was 11 till I was 16. The Campbell’s lived below us on the second floor next to the Baries and I can remember a Mr Legette in the close flat who always chased us for playing there when it rained. In number 10 the McDougall’s and the Woods lived and in numbed 14 the Gallagher’s. The Taylor lived on Maryhill Rd, and the McCluskey’s in the corner close. I remember these because they all shared the same back court as me where we played. Yes there was a chip shop you entered from number 10 and the HLI was on the corner with Maryhill RD on the same side as the chippy and that was on your left as you looked at Maryhill Rd. Opposite the HLI and chippy was the Dairy next to Agnes Lane where I helped out once for a bit as a milk boy delivering milk in the area. There was a shop at around number 18 owned by a Pakistani family, the son, who I met a few years late gained a degree in I think philosophy and one in politics.

The houses were demolished because there was old mine workings below the area and during the war the bombing caused the mine workings to become unstable and the ground to slowly sink. Our living room had a clack running from floor to ceiling that continued to reappear every time my parents decorated. The tenements were demolished because they thought they were dangerous. If anyone remembers seeing a painting of a laughing caviller on a top floor room wall after the back facade came down then that was our bedroom, my two brothers and I.

+Quote Post
*Maurice Ahern*
post 19th Aug 2017, 08:28pm
Post #89

Hi we lived in number 23, anyone remember the Wilsons or the ahern s or mcgregors? Lived there early 70s. Cheers.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.