Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ever Heard Of 'the Cheeky 40' ?
marie87
post 5th Aug 2010, 01:13pm
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,917
Willy, I think there was a Charlie McCaig and a Johnny McCaig, not sure which one or if both were nicknamed Cheeky McCaig. I know that Johnny definitely was in Spain for the Civil War in the 30's.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Anne Marie Timoney*
post 26th Aug 2010, 10:51am
Post #17

Dear Pauline,

I believe I am a cousin twice removed of Charlie (Cheeky) McCaig who was the leader of the Cheeky 40. He fought in The Spanish Civil War and I have heard various stories about him. I will however have to speak with my father to find out more. Keep an eye on this space.

Anne Marie

+Quote Post
Paulines47
post 27th Aug 2010, 10:57pm
Post #18

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,555
QUOTE (Anne Marie Timoney @ 26th Aug 2010, 12:53pm) *
Dear Pauline,

I believe I am a cousin twice removed of Charlie (Cheeky) McCaig who was the leader of the Cheeky 40. He fought in The Spanish Civil War and I have heard various stories about him. I will however have to speak with my father to find out more. Keep an eye on this space.

Anne Marie

Interesting Anne Marie....thanks for your reply. I'll look forward to hearing a bit more.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 28th Aug 2010, 09:48am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
I have a vague memory of hearing talk of the ‘Cheeky 40’ when we lived in the Garngard in the mid 30s

+Quote Post
Paulines47
post 28th Aug 2010, 10:00am
Post #20

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (Tommy Kennedy @ 28th Aug 2010, 11:50am) *
I have a vague memory of hearing talk of the ‘Cheeky 40’ when we lived in the Garngard in the mid 30s

That's roughly the period I would be looking at, my dad was born in 1933 so his recollections of Uncle Willie would be from about 1935 to about 1953-ish.

I started this thread off ages ago & all the time little bits & pieces are being added. I'm gonna find out who this Uncle Willie was if it's the last thing I do. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 28th Aug 2010, 01:57pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Probably have more luck if you look for Uncle WULLIE rather than WILLIE smile.gif

+Quote Post
Paulines47
post 28th Aug 2010, 10:06pm
Post #22

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (Tommy Kennedy @ 28th Aug 2010, 03:59pm) *
Probably have more luck if you look for Uncle WULLIE rather than WILLIE

Never thought of that Tommy.......I'm trying to picture my dad saying it dry.gif .....& you may have a point there. Thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
*Anne Marie Timoney*
post 29th Aug 2010, 08:26pm
Post #23

Dear Pauline,

I have had a quick conversation with my dad and our family were related to John (cheeky) McCaig not Charlie as I thought. I have asked my dad to have a chat with Cheeky's neice to find out what she knows about him and whether or not he was a member of the Cheeky 40. My dad thinks yes. He fought in Spain with the International Brigade as my dad remembers him coming home and he gave him a lighter in the shape of an old bomb. Lighter is long gone but the memory is still very keen for my dad.

He has a couple of recollections of getting him out of sticky situations due to Cheeky being his cousin. There was an age gap of about 10-15 years between them so dad doesn't remember much about that time other than what he and his pals were getting up to...football etc

My dad was born in the Calton but is positive that the Cheeky 40 were from Garngad. He is also not entirely sure if John (Cheeky) McCaig was the leader of the the Cheeky 40 or if your Uncle was a part of that gang. As he was from the Calton I doubt he would have any news of your uncle. I will keep you up dated as soon as I know more.

Good luck with your search

Anne Marie

+Quote Post
Paulines47
post 4th Sep 2010, 09:20pm
Post #24

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (Anne Marie Timoney @ 29th Aug 2010, 10:28pm) *
Dear Pauline,

I have had a quick conversation with my dad and our family were related to John (cheeky) McCaig not Charlie as I thought. I have asked my dad to have a chat with Cheeky's neice to find out what she knows about him and whether or not he was a member of the Cheeky 40. My dad thinks yes. He fought in Spain with the International Brigade as my dad remembers him coming home and he gave him a lighter in the shape of an old bomb. Lighter is long gone but the memory is still very keen for my dad.

He has a couple of recollections of getting him out of sticky situations due to Cheeky being his cousin. There was an age gap of about 10-15 years between them so dad doesn't remember much about that time other than what he and his pals were getting up to...football etc

My dad was born in the Calton but is positive that the Cheeky 40 were from Garngad. He is also not entirely sure if John (Cheeky) McCaig was the leader of the the Cheeky 40 or if your Uncle was a part of that gang. As he was from the Calton I doubt he would have any news of your uncle. I will keep you up dated as soon as I know more.

Good luck with your search

Anne Marie

Thanks for that Anne Marie. Perhaps you could PM me.....I recently found out a snippet re my dad & his brother that might tie in a bit. Also, as a Southerner myself (!) the districts don't mean much to me but my dad was born '33 & his bro' in '36.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 7th Sep 2010, 12:06pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Maybe you should see if you can check the records of Barlinnie Prison, Pauline. rolleyes.gif

I was told I was named after an 'Uncle Tommy' - Fathers brother, who went out to Kenya in the 20s.
When I was in Kenya in the 50s I checked up on him. Found he was wanted for bank robberies in S.Africa, imprisoned and escaped to Kenya - caught there and sent back to prison in S.Africa. Escaped again and made his way back to Scotland!!!

+Quote Post
Paulines47
post 7th Sep 2010, 04:34pm
Post #26

Super City Key Holder
I've just spent the best part of 2hrs hunting through NAS re Ballinnie Prison but didn't have a lot of joy.

Part of the problem is not knowing 'Wullie's' real name or any idea of a date.

Lots of interesting things on that site though....thanks.

+Quote Post
*Backcauseway*
post 7th Sep 2010, 09:39pm
Post #27

I used to work in Parkhead in 1948 or so and thought the "sally came from Salamanca Street. Ran parallel to East Wellington Street. Real bad crowd. I recall someone got beaten up in the "Horse or Hare and Hound"? I think. Pub between Salamanca St and East Wellington Street.Anyhow the police found no witness's. However the guy that did it was murderded by someone in the "sally".
The guy got "fingered" and the "sally"! were told to fix him by the guys wife.Again no one was ever caught. It was the talk of the work for weeks.

+Quote Post
vegadave
post 27th Oct 2010, 09:47am
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,141
hi.
i am cheeky ('john') mckeag's grandson. ive read with great interest all these posts about him. unfortunately all his children are gone now, but me and a couple of my cousins still know a few things about him. i know he joined the international brigade and went to fight in spain. (left a note on my grannys mantlepiece saying- 'away tae fight in spain, see you when i get back!'---
theres also a story here about someone being arrested?, well, in actual fact cheeky was court marshalled and sentenced to be shot, put in front of the firing squad. ( i know the reasons for this, but would rather not go into them just yet.) thanks to his brother-in-law jimmy mclay, he was released and sent home. he died fairly young, but by all accounts had a very eh..colourful life. anyway, im pushed for time at the moment, but would be happy to discuss this further with anyone who has an interest.
david mckeag

+Quote Post
Paulines47
post 27th Oct 2010, 11:57am
Post #29

Super City Key Holder
Hi Dave, fascinating stuff.

As it was me that started this search off in the first place, I'd love to hear more.

You can always PM me.

+Quote Post
angel
post 27th Oct 2010, 06:48pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Hi Pauline I just googled ..the cheeky forty ,you might just get some info. there. smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.