Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ronald Street, Dennistoun
*Christine Dyos*
post 27th Mar 2008, 01:51pm
Post #1

Can anyone tell me where this was? My Scott ancestors lived at no 24 in 1903. I cannot find any old maps showing its location. Grateful for any info.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 31st Mar 2008, 03:25am
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
I don't think there was a Ronald Street in Dennistoun.

There was, however, a Ronald Street in Townhead and Christine can find it on this map of Glasgow [1894].

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/scottishhisto...aps/glasgow.asp

+Quote Post
Eimear
post 9th Feb 2011, 03:02pm
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,335
Dear all,

I'm new here, so please be gentle!

I have relations that also lived at 24 Ronald Street, in 1922 definitely. I'm awaiting the release of the 1911 census in March/April to hopefully tell me more.

It's the only Ronald Street in Glasgow that I can locate, that existed then and is on this map (St. Rollox c.1913 ) near Parliamentary Road (under the LL of St. Rollox). I understand that it's either classed as St. Rollox or Dennistoun (were there boundary/district changes?)

Christine Dyos, I'd be interested in exchanging info, as maybe we have the same relations?! (I know it's a while between 1903-22!)

Yours
Eimear

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 9th Feb 2011, 03:29pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Ronald St was deffo in Toonhied, I lived just up road from it. prolly on the top part of it in the new toonhied flats.

Ronald St was cobbled! and was bordered by Parson St, Taylor St and St. James Rd, last tenement on it was knocked doon about summer 1970.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
wheeghee
post 9th Feb 2011, 03:55pm
Post #5

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,999
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 9th Feb 2011, 03:07pm) *
Ronald St was deffo in Toonhied, I lived just up road from it. prolly on the top part of it in the new toonhied flats.

Ronald St was cobbled! and was bordered by Parson St, Taylor St and St. James Rd, last tenement on it was knocked doon about summer 1970.

Bang on with Ronald Street I used to drink in the pub at the corner of Glebe Street Eaddie Lee the funeral undertaker owned it he used to sleep in a coffin, never sober

--------------------
Nullis in verba

+Quote Post
*Henry Lewis*
post 23rd Aug 2011, 11:10am
Post #6

I also have a distant relative, Miss Elizabeth Russell, living at 19 Ronald Street in February 1909. Any help with location etc would be a great help as its difficult to search the census by address when you are in NZ!!

+Quote Post
**Enigma**
post 21st Oct 2011, 05:51pm
Post #7

Hi *Henry Lewis*,

I too have family who lived at 19 Ronald Street, St Rollox, Glasgow, in 1901.

The following link may assist you ~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_Road

It gives a brief history and a small map giving location.

Hope this helps, all the best,

John

+Quote Post
*Robert Tait*
post 30th Oct 2011, 03:11pm
Post #8

I knew Ronald Street well... Spent many a day there in the late 50's early 60's ...... My father used to own the bakery there... Tait's Bakery.....His name was Samuel Tait , but most knew him as "wee sammy" My mother used to serve in the shop... her name was Jean .... The bakery was right next door to the pub mentioned in other post re Undertake...Happy Days..

+Quote Post
Garth Fletcher
post 24th Mar 2013, 10:27pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 269
Greetings from Newfoundland. I just came across this thread while looking for Ronald street. I knew the area had been destroyed much like Springburn. However what was most interesting was the address "24 Ronald street" My father's best friend Joseph Ewing lived there in the 1940s---also possibly earlier. Joseph was a marine engineer and served on several tankers. Unfortunately he died in 1942 when his ship the Empire Gem was sunk by a UBoat off the coast of US. Tragically his father had died in 1918 due to the effects of the Spanish Flu.

Mary his wife remarried in 1928 to Robert Forrest. My dad's friend had two younger brothers Henry (Harry) and Sam who would likely have lived on Ronald street around the same time.

I would really like to hear from anyone who knew them.

Regards
Garth

+Quote Post
teddy christine
post 15th Apr 2013, 10:31pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,828
QUOTE (Robert Tait @ 30th Oct 2011, 03:28pm) *
I knew Ronald Street well... Spent many a day there in the late 50's early 60's ...... My father used to own the bakery there... Tait's Bakery.....His name was Samuel Tait , but most knew him as "wee sammy" My mother used to serve in the shop... her name was Jean .... The bakery was right next door to the pub mentioned in other post re Undertake...Happy Days..

Hi well there is a walk down memory lane - wee Sammy Tait. The best hot pie and peas in the land!!! The smells in the backcourt when Sammy's back door or window were open were sheer brilliant!
He shared our outside loo up the stair at 48 Ronald Street. We were the Sweeney's! Apologize to your brother young Sammy can always mind opening up the outside door to the loo which he forgot to lock. Getting such a fright and thinking I was in big trouble. I ran off forgetting to close the door again in my shocked state. Poor young Sammy, ages with myself was yelling for his dad! So sorry! The pub Alex's bar, before that Grant's was where my daddy frequented. Big John Sweeney - there were 5 in our family - Anne, my late dear brother John, Jean, David and myself. Ronald Street was Townhead. Glasgow C4 now know as G4. The pub was on the corner of Ronald Street and St James Road. We live above it. Across the street was City Public Secondary School and down a bit was St. David's Primary School. Across from us was old Mr. Smith's newsagent. Up just past the pen was Reid's newsagent 36 or 34 Ronald Street and Davy's Dairy I think it was called, a bit further than that. x

+Quote Post
teddy christine
post 15th Apr 2013, 10:35pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,828
Hi well there is a walk down memory lane - wee Sammy Tait. The best hot pie and peas in the land!!! The smells in the backcourt when Sammy's back door or window were open were sheer brilliant!
He shared our outside loo up the stair at 48 Ronald Street. We were the Sweeney's! Apologize to your brother young Sammy can always mind opening up the outside door to the loo which he forgot to lock. Getting such a fright and thinking I was in big trouble. I ran off forgetting to close the door again in my shocked state. Poor young Sammy, ages with myself was yelling for his dad! So sorry! The pub Alex's bar, before that Grant's was where my daddy frequented. Big John Sweeney - there were 5 in our family - Anne, my late dear brother John, Jean, David and myself. Ronald Street was Townhead. Glasgow C4 now know as G4. The pub was on the corner of Ronald Street and St James Road. We live above it. Across the street was City Public Secondary School and down a bit was St. David's Primary School. Across from us was old Mr. Smith's newsagent. Up just past the pen was Reid's newsagent 36 or 34 Ronald Street and Davy's Dairy I think it was called, a bit further than that. x

+Quote Post
*John Nelson*
post 2nd Jul 2017, 02:07pm
Post #12

QUOTE (teddy christine @ 15th Apr 2013, 10:31pm) *

I was born in the house at 48 Ronald Street on June 1954, remember most of it well and am sure there was a Penn just along from us where the rag and bone man had his place, also remember that Rattery's bike shop was round the corner, think it was on McAslin Street or Parson Street.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.