Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Executions, For murder in glasgow
Rating 5 V
wee mags
post 11th Sep 2008, 10:06pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
after I came to America one of my older brothers friends had been killed by a young lad I had grown up with the young lads name was Clark,sorry I dont remember his first name but when I knew him he was a quiet young lad. then while visiting Glasgow in 1998 one of my old neighbours son had been found guilty of murder sad.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 12th Sep 2008, 07:48pm
Post #32

Visitor
Member No.: 962
QUOTE (Rab @ 11th Sep 2008, 09:53pm) *
Here is a link to the only woman executed in Scotland in the 20th Century.
http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/susan.html
Surprisingly, there were only 32 executions up to the removal of the death penalty in 1963.

Thans for thsat Rab. I found a woman in Gmrangemouth whose father had arrested Susan Newall in the close at Duke Street where she dumped the body. Yes only 322. 1900-1965 and the murder rate was a lott lower too. Yet they claim irt was ot ac deterent.! It was susopeneded in 1965 anmsd abolished in 1969.Cheers

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 15th Sep 2008, 02:20am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
I seem to remember a James Smith from Springburn being among the last to be hung in Scotland

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 15th Sep 2008, 03:44pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 14th Sep 2008, 08:24pm) *
I seem to remember a James Smith from Springburn being among the last to be hung in Scotland
You're right big brother,I think he was second last to be hung,I knew his brother Tony,they were from Blackhill,and the stabbing was at the Hibs Hall.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 15th Sep 2008, 07:01pm
Post #35

Visitor
QUOTE (wellfield @ 15th Sep 2008, 04:48pm) *
You're right big brother,I think he was second last to be hung,I knew his brother Tony,they were from Blackhill,and the stabbing was at the Hibs Hall.

Is his brother still alive?

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 15th Sep 2008, 09:47pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (martinjmurray @ 15th Sep 2008, 01:05pm) *
Is his brother still alive?
I couldn't tell you,its been ages since I saw Tony Smith he'd be about 69 years old by now and went to St Roch's school 52-55 ish The whole Family was very well known in the 50s and 60s in Blackhill and may well still be around Glasgow----also ''martinjmurray'',a few months ago I came across a site that gave you all the execution dates and places in Scotland,I'm afraid I dont remember the name of it.We haven't had an execution in California for ages 'though there are more than 500 to 600 on death row---President Bush is the man to talk to about executions,his State of Texas is one of the leading Execution States,and Utah has finally done away with shooting their condemned---It's been proven over and over it's no detterant,and it costs millions to keep a man on death row here,I believe they appeal for about 20 years,or at least that's as long as some appeals take' though the Oklahoma Federal Building bomber was swiftly taken care of---Mexico won't extradite prioners back to the U.S if the death penalty is to be considered.

+Quote Post
*Gayle Lyon*
post 16th Sep 2008, 12:23pm
Post #37

My great great uncle was John Lyon who was hung for murder in Barlinnie in 1946. Its popular knowledge in the family that he was innocent of the crime he was convicted of. I know basic facts about this because although even my mother wasn't born at the time, it is a subject i have always been interested in and even more so when it is a member of your own family! If anyone knows anything more about this case, esspecially about proof of his innocence then i would be very interested in hearing from them.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 17th Sep 2008, 09:10pm
Post #38

Visitor
QUOTE (wellfield @ 15th Sep 2008, 10:51pm) *
I couldn't tell you,its been ages since I saw Tony Smith he'd be about 69 years old by now and went to St Roch's school 52-55 ish The whole Family was very well known in the 50s and 60s in Blackhill and may well still be around Glasgow----also ''martinjmurray'',a few months ago I came across a site that gave you all the execution dates and places in Scotland,I'm afraid I dont remember the name of it.We haven't had an execution in California for ages 'though there are more than 500 to 600 on death row---President Bush is the man to talk to about executions,his State of Texas is one of the leading Execution States,and Utah has finally done away with shooting their condemned---It's been proven over and over it's no detterant,and it costs millions to keep a man on death row here,I believe they appeal for about 20 years,or at least that's as long as some appeals take' though the Oklahoma Federal Building bomber was swiftly taken care of---Mexico won't extradite prioners back to the U.S if the death penalty is to be considered.

Many thanks that's the kind of insight I bneed to giive a balanced to m research. The contray point is the rise in murder since abolition is massive.. Hundered in Glasgow every year. Used to be headlines in 1950's arounf that case. now page 14. Many thanks for this. The Guy he killed was a martin joseph malone. I'm martin joseph too. He had a younf family. A guard from Bar L at the time I spoke too recentlysaid "spider" smith was a bad guy. Family infamous. Talies with your idea.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 17th Sep 2008, 09:14pm
Post #39

Visitor
QUOTE (Gayle Lyon @ 16th Sep 2008, 01:27pm) *
My great great uncle was John Lyon who was hung for murder in Barlinnie in 1946. Its popular knowledge in the family that he was innocent of the crime he was convicted of. I know basic facts about this because although even my mother wasn't born at the time, it is a subject i have always been interested in and even more so when it is a member of your own family! If anyone knows anything more about this case, esspecially about proof of his innocence then i would be very interested in hearing from them.

Hi Gayle, This is interesting. I heard he was stuitched up by his co-accused who werre related. Thew rest of them came from Gorbals but John Lyon didn't? is that right. Why do you feel he was innocant? Basis was they went across the river in a tram, jumped off looking for folk from another gang, and a guy who was a recently demobbed sailor was stabbed to death. If you e mail me on martinjmurray77@hotmail. com I'll send you what I have got on this. It was first hanging in Glasgow for 17 years

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 17th Sep 2008, 10:09pm
Post #40

Visitor
QUOTE (martinjmurray @ 17th Sep 2008, 10:18pm) *
Hi Gayle, This is interesting. I heard he was stuitched up by his co-accused who werre related. Thew rest of them came from Gorbals but John Lyon didn't? is that right. Why do you feel he was innocant? Basis was they went across the river in a tram, jumped off looking for folk from another gang, and a guy who was a recently demobbed sailor was stabbed to death. If you e mail me on martinjmurray77@hotmail. com I'll send you what I have got on this. It was first hanging in Glasgow for 17 years

In my research I came accross a film made in Barlinnie of the execution shed which was in D Hall. Now used to house Youn g Offenders. The guy in it I have spoken too on the phone. May give you siome contemoporary info. I was on VC later that decade.Things had nbeen demolished by then. site is shootingpelope.org. or look up hanging with frank. Its a 15 minute film.

+Quote Post
kmacc
post 18th Sep 2008, 05:14am
Post #41

Resident
Member No.: 185
Hi Gale, John Lyon was the first man to be hanged in barlinnie,
he was with the Crosbie brothers who were his brothers in law
they came from Govan.
There was a gang fight in washington st and John Brady was killed.
John Lyon and Alex Crosbie,Alex was sentenced to death on his 18th
birthday, but later it was changed to life inprisonment, he done ten years
and came out in 1956.
I spoke to him then and he told me that John Lyon was innocent but he never
woud say who did it

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 18th Sep 2008, 12:54pm
Post #42

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 15th Sep 2008, 05:24am) *

QUOTE (wellfield @ 15th Sep 2008, 06:48pm) *

QUOTE (wellfield @ 16th Sep 2008, 12:51am) *
I couldn't tell you,its been ages since I saw Tony Smith he'd be about 69 years old by now and went to St Roch's school 52-55 ish The whole Family was very well known in the 50s and 60s in Blackhill and may well still be around Glasgow

QUOTE (martinjmurray @ 18th Sep 2008, 12:14am) *
Used to be headlines in 1950's around that case. now page 14. Many thanks for this. The Guy he killed was a martin joseph malone. I'm martin joseph too. He had a young family. A guard from Bar L at the time I spoke too recently said "spider" smith was a bad guy. Family infamous. Talies with your idea.

I remember coming across this Daily Record article while GOOGLING Garngad (Royston).

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/special-...86908-19978330/

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 18th Sep 2008, 03:42pm
Post #43

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
Hi Martin Murray.

The following is a list of all the executions in Scottish prisons in the 20th century. All 34 of these executions were for murder.

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/scottish.html

I am sure there is a list of Glasgow's 19th century public executions on display at the People's Palace in Glasgow. It is a much longer list than the above list and it is unbelievable by today's standards what some of these people were executed for. The 19th century executions were by no means all for murder. Many were for robbery and housebreaking.

The last public execution in Glasgow was held on Glasgow Green in 1865.

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 18th Sep 2008, 04:11pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Paul Kelly for that article from the Daily Record about the coviction of James Smith.

+Quote Post
*Diane Deveney*
post 21st Sep 2008, 09:18pm
Post #45

If Geraldine mcNealey is still following this discussion i would be very interested in making contact with her. I am Patrick Gallagher Deveney's grandaughter.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.