Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Executions, For murder in glasgow
Rating 5 V
*davygartshore*
post 16th Aug 2004, 10:58am
Post #16

Re the execution in 1960 of Tony Miller, what happened to his co-accused Denovan, when was he released and what is he doing now? Why have no film or television companies made a film on the Manuel case?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*davygartshore*
post 17th Aug 2004, 10:44am
Post #17

WHAT HAPPENED TO DENOVAN WHO WAS CONVICTED WITH TONY MILLER IN 1960? WHEN WAS HE RELEASED AND WHAT IS HE DOING NOW? WHAT HAVE NO TELEVISION OR FILM COMPANIES MADE A FILM ON THE MANUEL CASE

+Quote Post
*Lynn Harris*
post 17th Oct 2007, 11:31am
Post #18

Hi there! I came accross this, looking for some info on my Grandfather, Paul Christopher Harris! Im the daughter of his son, Paul Harris! I know ur posts are from a while back, but I would be interested in finding out what more u found on the case, and happy to give u any little information I perhaps would have!

Thanks

+Quote Post
*John Todd*
post 23rd Mar 2008, 02:48pm
Post #19

QUOTE (martinjmurray @ 16th Feb 2004, 07:20 PM) *
I am researching executions in Scotland and most happened due to cases in Glasgow. Additionally mosat of the areas are now demolished. eg Plantation: Blackburn street the only plce in Scotland where two murders 40 years apart led to executions, Neptune Stret in Govan here two brothers were due o be hanged until the day before one confessed. And the carraher murders in gorbals and townhead, until jimmy boyle the only man to be tried twice for murder. Can anyone help me as even Duke Street Prison site of many executions is no more.

One of my relations Patrick Leggett was the first man hanged in Scotland in the 20th centuary. You can read about the case at my family history website www.weetoddy.com under "The Whiteinch Murder" section, Like wise he was buried in Duke St prison and his body consumed with lime shells, I have all the courts records and copies of a diary that the wardens kept on him for 2 weeks prior to his execusion

+Quote Post
GG
post 13th Apr 2008, 04:47pm
Post #20

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
From Yvonne Cortright, posted as a 'Report link' by mistake:
When I was a little girl on the way to visit my grandma in Carntyne, we had to take a tram connection to the Carntyne bus. I can remember all traffic , even the carthorses, was stopped and there were many people on the street standing in silence and I had a very eerie feeling. When my mum asked the conductor what was going on he told her that someone was being executed. All I can really remember was the cobbled street and the silence on the road.

I think this was in the late '40's or early '50's. I shall never forget this experience and it still haunts me today.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Geraldine McNealey*
post 29th May 2008, 04:57am
Post #21

Hi

Its a bit late but wondered if you are still researching executions in glasgow. My cousin Jeannie Deveney (nee Todd) was murdered by her husband Patrick Deveney on 26 Feb 1952 at 115 Blackhall St. He battered her with a hammer and then strangled her with a necktie. He was hanged at Barliniie Prison on 29 May 1952. They had 5 young children.

+Quote Post
*Guest Hutchie **
post 29th May 2008, 07:03pm
Post #22

QUOTE (martinjmurray @ 16th Feb 2004, 07:20 PM) *
I am researching executions in Scotland and most happened due to cases in Glasgow. Additionally mosat of the areas are now demolished. eg Plantation: Blackburn street the only plce in Scotland where two murders 40 years apart led to executions, Neptune Stret in Govan here two brothers were due o be hanged until the day before one confessed. And the carraher murders in gorbals and townhead, until jimmy boyle the only man to be tried twice for murder. Can anyone help me as even Duke Street Prison site of many executions is no more.

Patrick Carraher, the so called Fiend of the Gorbals, was hanged in Barlinnie Prison on 6 April 1946, aged 40 years.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 11th Sep 2008, 06:25pm
Post #23

Visitor
Member No.: 962
How do you know Claude Harris died in mid 1980's? I was trying to track him down for interview?
Also does anyone know of the wherabouts of James Douglas Denovan? who was the accomplice to Tony Miller of Govanhill who was Glasghow's last execution. He was 16 in 1961? He lived Calder Street, Miller was a few streets up.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 11th Sep 2008, 06:28pm
Post #24

Visitor
QUOTE (Geraldine McNealey @ 29th May 2008, 06:01am) *
Hi

Its a bit late but wondered if you are still researching executions in glasgow. My cousin Jeannie Deveney (nee Todd) was murdered by her husband Patrick Deveney on 26 Feb 1952 at 115 Blackhall St. He battered her with a hammer and then strangled her with a necktie. He was hanged at Barliniie Prison on 29 May 1952. They had 5 young children.

Many thanks Yes any information would be great. I spoke with a guy qho was a guard in Barlinnie who said Deveney was a nice guy. Reports in paper said a psychopath! How are rthe Kids? I thought it was Blackburn Street Plantation? If so it was the only street in Scotlad where two murders led to hangings. A young boy was killed there 50 years earlier. All now rebuilt. Many thanks

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 11th Sep 2008, 06:44pm
Post #25

Visitor
QUOTE (Lynn Harris @ 17th Oct 2007, 12:35pm) *
Hi there! I came accross this, looking for some info on my Grandfather, Paul Christopher Harris! Im the daughter of his son, Paul Harris! I know ur posts are from a while back, but I would be interested in finding out what more u found on the case, and happy to give u any little information I perhaps would have!

Thanks

Hi Lynn, o sorry its taken so long but I lostmy log in. I have extensively reseacrched the case of your dad and his brother. Apparently they were drinking in a pub in Orkney Street or Kintra Street when he slashed somebody for saying saomething. They then at the behest of his brother in law, went to the house of a guy calledcMurray, no relation of mine as far as I know. This was because he had apparently assaulted his wife, who was his sister. A fight broke out and both Paul known as Christie and Claude were seen by a woman in a flat in Kintra street kicvking Martin Dunleavy.
He then was next seen coming out the close with a cut to the neck, and died in surgery at the southern general. There were four men charge, your GF, his brother their brother in law and a man from Ireland.
The other two were acquited and both Harris brothers were due to be executed. Thecase was of interest as only once in england were two brothers executed for the same murder.
They were both in the same cell and asked for paper. Then you GF wrote stating he had delivered the fatal blow. Claude was reprieved for a week initially, then given a life sentence. Niot sure hen he got out of jail but he died in a doss house in the mid 1980's choking on his own vomit.
Seems both has previous convictions, but nothing major. The wholwe areawas demolished when I started to look and is now breing rebuilt. Seems to have been very run down, as was spoken about in Sean Damer's book Glasgow for a siog as rough in 1920's. Accroding to press reports Martin Dunleavy's funeral had loads of people lining the streets as he was popular buyt I';ve no idea why. No idea if your GF actually knew him.
Apparently the kids in the house lowered themselves out the window to escape the fight. Got that in another book. I can be e mailed on martinjmurray77@hotmail.com. Any information would be useful. Told his wife to tell his kids, your dad and his sister not to drink. hope this helps. M

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 11th Sep 2008, 06:47pm
Post #26

Visitor
QUOTE (Geraldine McNealey @ 29th May 2008, 06:01am) *
Hi

Hi Geraldine be gla of any indformation. I spke with Frank McQue who was a prison warden on death duty at BarL he described deveny as a nice guy. JHowever his report in the paper was that he was a psychopath. Had been violent tio o you cousin beforwe. What happened to the kids?
I thought they lived at 115 blackburn street. If so it was the only street in Scotland where two murders kllead to hanging. An wearlier one around 1905 of a young boy by his step father led to a hanging then too.
Sorry its late but I lost my log in details. M

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 11th Sep 2008, 06:50pm
Post #27

Visitor
QUOTE (davygartshore @ 17th Aug 2004, 11:48am) *
WHAT HAPPENED TO DENOVAN WHO WAS CONVICTED WITH TONY MILLER IN 1960? WHEN WAS HE RELEASED AND WHAT IS HE DOING NOW? WHAT HAVE NO TELEVISION OR FILM COMPANIES MADE A FILM ON THE MANUEL CASE

Hi I think Denovan may be dead. Not sure but heard nothing more. Another boy weas involved with them Crawford Mure he may still be around. Would like to finsd out abour Devovan. Saved by being 16. No documentrary about Manuel until recently I rthink.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 11th Sep 2008, 06:51pm
Post #28

Visitor
QUOTE (Guest @ 18th Feb 2004, 03:06am) *
Hi Martinmurray if you tell me the years you are looking for,I have info on all the executions of the last century

Hi anything over the 20th Centuary. I'm trying to look at levels of murder. patterns of victims and wherther death penalty was a deterent.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 11th Sep 2008, 06:53pm
Post #29

Visitor
QUOTE (GG @ 13th Apr 2008, 05:51pm) *
From Yvonne Cortright, posted as a 'Report link' by mistake:

Thanks for this. There were several executions at BarL late 1940's abnd a few more early tio mid 1950's, before Manual 1958 anmd Miller in 1961. m

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 11th Sep 2008, 08:49pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Here is a link to the only woman executed in Scotland in the 20th Century.
http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/susan.html
Surprisingly, there were only 32 executions up to the removal of the death penalty in 1963.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.