Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

30 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Department Stores, What did I miss?
Dylan
post 5th Oct 2014, 07:29pm
Post #406

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
I got one GQ and it really does smell of London. biggrin.gif

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 5th Oct 2014, 07:50pm
Post #407

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (Dylan @ 5th Oct 2014, 07:46pm) *
I got one GQ and it really does smell of London. biggrin.gif

Diesel fumes and fast food?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 5th Oct 2014, 08:57pm
Post #408

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
biggrin.gif

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 5th Oct 2014, 09:08pm
Post #409

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
http://youtu.be/8EE4alauiS4

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 6th Oct 2014, 08:15am
Post #410

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 5th Oct 2014, 01:26pm) *
I´m the same and my wife still gets 10% discount, when we're back in Scotland. that's when she minds tae take her card ! I have to laugh at folk paying 60 quid or so for a shirt or 85 for "designer " jeans. What's to design? 2 legs and a bihookie !

This gave me such a laugh Bilbo - I haven't heard the word "bihookie" for probably 50 years! Must tell my friend Betty who was born in Hawick and has lived in ChCh as long as I have. We often have a laugh at old Scots words we have lost along the way. Thanks so much.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 6th Oct 2014, 08:39am
Post #411

Mega City Key Holder
You're very welcome, Lass. If I make someone laugh, it makes my day. Quite often, one of the old words or phrases just comes into my head out of the blue.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 6th Oct 2014, 09:48am
Post #412

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
Tried to start a new thread but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

Following on from my tongue in cheek post about the London candle
http://www.johnlewis.com/tom-dixon-london-...-large/p1611660

I was wondering what you thought a Glasgow candle would smell like.

For me, it would have hints of the subway as it used to be anyway. I will always remember that smell. I haven't found it anywhere else.

Any more ideas?

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 6th Oct 2014, 10:38am
Post #413

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
hahahaha wouldnt take it free.. what are people thinking..

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 6th Oct 2014, 10:40am
Post #414

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
The maker seems to do a wide range of strange candles. Money to burn literally.

+Quote Post
ktv
post 6th Oct 2014, 10:43am
Post #415

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
haha

every time I go on the subway it smells of the sewers so I wouldn't want that in my house lol.

cant really think of a smell that reminds me of Glasgow right enough other than dodgy chippies or the waft of mcdonalds as you walk don't sauchiehall st.

+Quote Post
*eric hewitt*
post 4th Feb 2015, 12:37pm
Post #416

QUOTE (AnneTeak @ 21st Jun 2009, 01:01pm) *
Does anyone remember the really expensive food shop in Union Street called Ferguson's? Just down a bit from the entrance to Central Station.
As a rare treat we would get some amazing cakes from there. I still dream about their peach flan!

Anne, my Mum ysed to work on that store in the 1960s.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 4th Feb 2015, 01:04pm
Post #417

Mega City Key Holder
I remember it well, as I used to accompany my aunties, doing their shopping in the 50s at Masseys nearby, with the occasional purchase at Fergusons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
**NMurison**
post 27th Jul 2015, 10:31pm
Post #418

QUOTE (RAW @ 8th Feb 2009, 03:24am) *
I worked in Lewis's department store in Argyle street in the Accounts department on the third floor.

There was 4 juniors Ros Wingate (myself from the Drum), Liz Farrelly (lived in Bellshill, now in Oz living near me, meet up again after 37 years, a couple of weeks ago), Margo White (engaged to Michael Ward in 1973) and Roseann Wood (I think they both came from the east end of Glasgow).

Our boss was May Cairney and her assistant was Jean Foley (lived in Erskine). Have been trawlin the internet to find the others without any luck. If anybody knows these people Liz and I would love to be in touch. My pal Carol Woodside worked in the service bureau on the 6th floor. I have found her as well living in the USA. Hope to meet up with her in Glasgow later this year.

What a great start in life we were all around 15-20 years in age and treated like family a great place to work, staff dances and mystery tours by bus to Saltcoats, loved every minute of it.

Beautiful wooden pillars in the store and lifts with heavy metal gates and someone to call out the departments. Santas Grotto at xmas. The windows of Lewis's were a joy, all fairy lights and a credit to the window dressers. Great shop you could buy anything from wierd breads in the foodhall, book your holidays in the travel agents and have your hair done in the hairdressers. It had everything you needed at one point even had it's own store currency a fore runner of the store credit card.

Anybody out there work in Lewis's Ltd in 1971-1974 biggrin.gif

I also worked in Lewis's Basement (Tooling and haberdashery) as a Saturday job in the mid 70's. I also helped out on the Sologlide (curtain rail) counter also in the basement. First 'real" job, lol Norman Murison.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 28th Jul 2015, 07:37am
Post #419

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Aw Lewis's how we miss that fabulous shop in Glasgow. Nothing these days comes anywhere near it for just being fabulous. sad.gif Also Arnott Simpsons just a bit further along Argyle Street was a lovely store.

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 28th Jul 2015, 09:53am
Post #420

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
Does anyone recall a D M Hoey, I think that they were on the corner of Henderson street and Maryhill road.

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.