Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

17 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Glasgow Apologise For Slavery?, Increasing calls for the city to say sorry
wombat
post 2nd Aug 2016, 10:13pm
Post #211

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
rolleyes.gif what happened to the human cargo they impounded ?

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sumac
post 25th Jul 2020, 04:07pm
Post #212

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
I came across this thread and had to say how relevant it is today. We have had statues pulled down over the slavery and abuse of blacks and, yes, there are calls for more statues to be pulled down and for apologies to be given for our country’s involvement in black abuse and slavery. So bad has the situation become that we now have footballers and policemen “taking the knee”.
I am angry about this. I am not racist, never was, never will be, but I refuse to bow to anyone, black, white or purple with yellow dots. Nor will I apologise for things over which I had no say or control.
It’s time people realise that we can never change history by obliterating everything bad that happened or memorials to that. When we start to change or delete historical facts, we are on the road to a very scary future.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
sumac
post 25th Aug 2020, 09:07am
Post #213

City Key Holder
Here we go again! Land of Hope and Glory is only to be instrumental at the Proms - no singing or flag-waving. I know there won’t be a Proms as we know it, but where is all this going to end? Will we obliterate everything that upsets anybody from history? LoHaG is completely Imperialist and pro-English but I love it! Having been to the Proms in the Kelvin Hall in my younger days, I waved my flag and sang with gusto. It was all very English but what an atmosphere. I didn’t think how wonderful England and the Empire were. I didn’t stay mute. No thoughts of how we stuck it to the rest of the world, just a rousing tune and so uplifting.

I love Scotland and being Scottish. Why do we have to scrutinise everything that happened in history and rubbish the bits we don’t like?

God help us as this madness goes on. What next?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 25th Aug 2020, 12:55pm
Post #214

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Years ago I worked at The North British Hotel, Edinburgh and never gave the name a second thought.
Nowadays I recognise it for what it is - a deliberate attempt at national obliteration of Scotland. I bet I would have been like you at Last Night at the Proms, ( in fact I probably enjoyed it on TV. ) but I know better now, a lesson which seems to have evaded you.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 25th Aug 2020, 01:11pm
Post #215

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 25th Aug 2020, 01:55pm) *
Years ago I worked at The North British Hotel, Edinburgh and never gave the name a second thought.
Nowadays I recognise it for what it is - a deliberate attempt at national obliteration of Scotland. I bet I would have been like you at Last Night at the Proms, ( in fact I probably enjoyed it on TV. ) but I know better now, a lesson which seems to have evaded you.

Face facts - you and I , and millions of others are victims of brainwashing, which goes on until this day through the English orientated media and especially TV programmes.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 25th Aug 2020, 01:16pm
Post #216

City Key Holder
Not at all! Why shouldn’t our nations be proud of their heritage? Why must we analyse everything and what it means in our politically correct times. Can we not enjoy songs, statues, stories for what they are - feel-good entertainment. Must everything have a deeper, hidden meaning?

I’m sorry but I look at history as something that happened in the past and cannot be changed, like it or not. I am very strongly Scottish and uphold my right to sing Scottish songs of how we massacred the English and how they massacred us. I do not believe that, because I enjoy these songs, it makes me want to go out and massacre a few more. They are songs - entertainment, feel-good, dealing with past events which helped to shape our country.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 25th Aug 2020, 01:23pm
Post #217

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (sumac @ 25th Aug 2020, 02:16pm) *
Not at all! Why shouldn’t our nations be proud of their heritage? Why must we analyse everything and what it means in our politically correct times. Can we not enjoy songs, statues, stories for what they are - feel-good entertainment. Must everything have a deeper, hidden meaning?

I’m sorry but I look at history as something that happened in the past and cannot be changed, like it or not. I am very strongly Scottish and uphold my right to sing Scottish songs of how we massacred the English and how they massacred us. I do not believe that, because I enjoy these songs, it makes me want to go out and massacre a few more. They are songs - entertainment, feel-good, dealing with past events which helped to shape our country.

History is happening at present!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 25th Aug 2020, 03:13pm
Post #218

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (DannyH @ 30th Jul 2016, 10:22pm) *
... We could have told you all about Blantyre, and David Livingstone. There is a memorial Park in Blantyre, Scotland, which thousands of people visit every year. I mention Blantyre, Scotland, because there is a town named Blantyre in honour of him in the African continent.

Danny Harris

I was born in Glasgow and rtaised from a baby in Blantyre.
My older brother was a greenkeeper/gardener in the Livingstone Memorial; where I spent lots of time with him during the summer school holidays, and the church our school used was David Livingstone Memorial Church on the Glasgow Rd. in Blantyre: every time we marched to church we had to pass the Catholic school about 100 yds away on the same street and they'd give us laldy rolleyes.gif
So I grew up knowing the history of slavery full well.
The 2nd Blantyre, as we called it, was in Nyasaland; later renamed as Malawi, and founded by the Church of Scotland.
I quite often got to see or even meet chiefs and dignatories when the came over to Blantyre which was named by the Jedborough monks who fled the borderlands during the Reformation.
It's name meant The place by the warm waters: the river Clyde.
A coal mine on the Clyde about a couple of miles downstream from Livingstone's Memorial was called The Priory Pit where we spent much of our childhood playing there. It was always rumoured that a tunnel existed which ran from the then ancient Priory under the Clyde to Bothwell Castle on the other side.
We never found iy: and not for the want of trying, and neither did the generations before us rolleyes.gif
A website called Blantyre's Ain has had many bold adventurers trying to locate where it mikght have been but also, as far as I know, without success.

The last time I was on that part of the riveer was while I was in The RAF and on sick leave after a very big accident. I was enjoying the joys of life with a boonie young lassie . early Sunday afternoon when I looked up and saw a minister with his two daughters looking down from the edge of a field about 12 feet or more above us.
He appeared to be quite shocked ... naturally I didn't let on to the girl I was with till after they'd gone but she wouldn't believe me unsure.gif
Ah, the good ol' days biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 25th Aug 2020, 03:28pm
Post #219

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (sumac @ 25th Aug 2020, 01:16pm) *
... They are songs - entertainment, feel-good ...

No, that's The Stnes tongue.gif
Patriotic songs are always a form of propaganda:aka brainwashing.
And juszt before they could pen songs about George Floyd we had Jacob Blake taking seven in the bak: where's Bob Dylan when we need him?
History is being made as we speak.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 25th Aug 2020, 03:59pm
Post #220

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (sumac @ 25th Aug 2020, 10:07am) *
Here we go again! Land of Hope and Glory is only to be instrumental at the Proms - no singing or flag-waving.

You're falling for the right wing nationalist propaganda designed to whip up outrage and hatred of all thing non English Sumac, it was clearly explained that there would be no singing this year in line with coronavirus distancing rules, because singing is just about the most effective way of spreading viral particles other than sneezing, and that the singing would return next year.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 25th Aug 2020, 04:27pm
Post #221

City Key Holder
I know all of the reasons for not singing. I understand all of that. They had actually planned to remove LoHaG and Rule Britannia altogether but decided they could get away with no singing. It would not have stopped them having a sung rendition as they are having singers, socially distanced.

As for history being made as we speak! Sorry but that’s a bit demeaning, gents. In answer to that, I am not happy to go down in history as bowing to opinion which is not a majority decision and which insists that history was wrong. History has happened. Let’s get on with creating a history of which our future generations would be proud.

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 25th Aug 2020, 09:35pm
Post #222

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 25th Aug 2020, 10:55pm) *

I still have family living in Glasgow and years ago my sister in law told me the outrage that when they were talking on the telly (maybe about the weather ) they said ,"and now for the REGIONS,meaning Scotland,and she said there was a big uproar about that,Scotland is a country NOT a region. Give them an inch and they`ll take a yard right enough.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th Aug 2020, 07:00am
Post #223

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (sumac @ 25th Aug 2020, 05:27pm) *
... It would not have stopped them having a sung rendition as they are having singers, socially distanced.

I remember as little kids how we'd steal totties from a local field for the purpose of roasting them in a fire we'd build when we reached the river Calder on our hikes. We'd set out to gather kindling and heavier branches then get to work on the fire. You'd have one guy on his knees, bum in the air, blowin' his lungs out tryin' to get the kindling to take light: finally screamin' oot C'mon, gies a haun'
Then we'd all have to get down and blolw into the fire and ... lo and behold with the force of our accumulated breath the fire took light and the wee flames grew and spread biggrin.gif
I'd want those social distancing singers to be wearing masks as well; as well as face sheilds that is, and maybe even Hazmat suits intae the bargain.
We live on the ground floor in a house built brick by brick by Mary's dad back in 1960.
Her dad fell victim to cancer thirty odd years ago and her mum is now in a care home with dementia. Her neice now lives in her mum's apartment above us having rented out the attic dwelling that was hers to a young couple who only seem to fight and scream at each otheer at every opportunity.
The couple gave us some peace and quiet by going off on holiday three weeks ago to split their time away between ... Italy and Spain (last month Mary spend her three weeks off work on our balcony which, mostly, had between 35C and 38C, making her as brown as a berry)
The young couple came back on Sunday night and he is now laid up with a temperature of 40C while awaiting the result of his covid-19 test: as if we don't know what that'll be.

Mary has been busy didinfecting the stairwell and door handles.
He is onee who had his wee parties with his mates upstairs at weekends as he thought it was all exageration with these masks and distancing; being young, fit and healthy.
I feel like puting on a mask and taking my wee 6.35mm and euthanising the stupid barsteward: Italy and Spain ffs!
Mary says we should look on the bright side: if she tells her boss (which legally she must) that we have C-19 in the house then she'll be asked to work from home on her laptop. rolleyes.gif
You do have to consider others at these times: it's an aerosol virus. mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sumac
post 26th Aug 2020, 09:05am
Post #224

City Key Holder
What idiots people like these are. Unfortunately, everybody round about suffers seriously. These numpties then complain that they’re “forced” to come home early. On Jeremy Vine’s daily programme here, every day we are regaled with people on the phone complaining bitterly about having to come home early or quarantine for 2 weeks when they have work to go to. The latest gripe is that the government should now compensate them for having to pay for another flight to get home! Lord and saints above!

As for parties - don’t get me started! On our new estate there are parties going on all the time, usually during the day so all the weans can go. A couple who came back from living in Saudi (he’s a pilot who lost his job) didn’t even bother to self-isolate or quarantine, with friends going inside and the couple visiting old pals.

Sorry. Off topic but I needed a moan!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sumac
post 2nd Sep 2020, 12:00pm
Post #225

City Key Holder
I’ve just heard that, after an outcry, singing of Land of Hope etc and Rule Britannia is to be allowed at this years Proms. Yay! 🥳

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Sep 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.