Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Butts... We're Not Coming Back!, Canadian tourists shun Glasgow
Jupiter
post 28th Jul 2011, 07:20am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Bilbo,if you were unaware that there was a bye law in force and contravened it then I would suggest you would have a good defence.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chas1937
post 28th Jul 2011, 07:54am
Post #32

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,795
Here in Corkerhill where there is a chidrens playpark,I'm fed up lifting up empty beer and spirit bottles that folk just throw away anywhere instead of 1 of the 5 litter bins.If these are left they get smashed and although police do chase them and pour out their drink that doesnt happen very often.There is also loads of cig butts lying where that have been so these so called Clean glasgow wardens should be having a look here

+Quote Post
GG
post 28th Jul 2011, 07:54am
Post #33

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 28th Jul 2011, 05:35am) *
Can anyone tell me how these people operate? What happens if a butt tosser refuses to give the butt buster his name and address or gives false partics? Do they arrest you?
I seem to recall that as far as litter is concerned if a person drops,for example a cig packet in a public place,he would be given the opportunity to pick it up and dispose of it,only if he failed to do so would the offence be complete.
I wonder if the Canadian butt tossers were asked to pick up the offending butts by the butt busters?

No, Jupiter, the litter enforcement officers are under strict instructions from their bosses that they should not give the alleged litterer the chance to pick up the cigarette butt to avoid a fine.

I've seen these guys (they are mostly male) in action many times and they act in a very abrupt manner, mostly, I think, because they want to get the individual's personal details before the (usually) cornered member of the public figures out the officers have no real powers. Anyone can simply refuse to give them any details and there is nothing they can do except call for police support. You can imagine how happy the police would be with that!

In my opinion, it's a very counter-productive situation. I've always believed that the money should be used to employ more street cleaners, in addition to having more bins.

The irony of this episode is that the leader of the council, who is ultimately responsible for the conduct of the officers, is also chairman of the city's tourist board. How's that for a potential conflict of interest?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 28th Jul 2011, 08:01am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
GG,That is very interesting.On many occasions I came across minor litter offences(cig packs,cans etc) but I had the power in law to give the offender the chance to dispose of the litter legally.It was only if he refused would he then be reported to the PF and he usually got a warning letter.Im about to check the Litter Act.
Joop

+Quote Post
Negotiate Now
post 28th Jul 2011, 08:21am
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,951
I wonder how much authority these jobsworthies really have. What they could they do if anyone refused to pay? They have the power to give people fines but dropping a cigarette butt isn't really a criminal offence is it? I guess the uniform just scares people especially tourists who might think they are the Police or have the same powers. Does anyone know about this? It would be interesting to find out.

--------------------
www.negotiatenow.co.uk

+Quote Post
George Brown
post 28th Jul 2011, 08:30am
Post #36

Visitor
Member No.: 676
My sympathies go with the tourists. Appreciating that the visitors may not be familiar with our local laws, a bit of diplomacy should have been applied, but then as regular visitors ?
I mildly wonder at how an instant fine is applied to someone with no permanent UK address, do these petty little dictators carry cash machines and reciept books about with them as well as cameras ?
If so, they obviously don't do much business otherwise one would expect to see them kitted out with little cash trolleys on tow.
I remember being stopped and asked by a tourist for directions in Argyle St when we were rudely interupted by one of those 'know all' indiividuals. As a 70year old Glaswegian I found his explanation incoherent and confusing, I just crept off.
We have so many clowns uniforns on the streets nowadays they run the risk of making a mockery of dedicated professionals.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 28th Jul 2011, 08:37am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
There are far worse crimes than dropping litter surely? Do we want to live in a sterile empty city? This is surely a case of throwing the baby out with bath water. I thought that a friend of mine was once charged forty pounds for dropping a cigarette end in town, not one hundred. They don't half come up with some horrible ideas for making money. Yes, litter is a problem but it's wrong in my opinion to chase tourists away in an effort to keep the city clean and certainly does not reflect the attitude of the Glasgow people.
A warning would have quite adequately sufficed to anyone I feel.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 28th Jul 2011, 08:41am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
George,Ive been having a wee look and it appears that you are issued with a fixed penalty notice giving you fourteen days to pay,so Id imagine if the tourist gave his address to the butt buster as,eg,10 High St Vancouver it would create a bit of an impasse because there would be a likliehood of the tourist would not pay.Interesting.

+Quote Post
greta
post 28th Jul 2011, 08:45am
Post #39

Settling In
Member No.: 6,565
I think this was way over the top and a warning would have been more in line. While I dont agree with littering anywhere and of course in my home town of Glasgow in particular. I know that some people when given authority can turn into right little hitlers (police included). There is also the fact that chewing gum on the pavements is far worse and more costly to clean up. People are always going to drop rubbish and it would be better to stay on top of this with more city council refuse staff. Incidentally I wonder how much of the £100 fine will go towards this ,if any.

+Quote Post
*Terry Dunlop*
post 28th Jul 2011, 09:06am
Post #40

£6 fine would have sufficed the price of a packet of cigarettes.

+Quote Post
enrique
post 28th Jul 2011, 09:28am
Post #41

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
I know its hard to take when you have been caught out , we all feel a bit stupid afterwards, in this case though being visitors to our shores a bit of common sense would have helped, i live in a town in the east of Scotland and we also have a large fine for dropping litter , on one occasion i saw a young mother with her baby in the pram being stopped in our shopping pedestrian precinct , she was being given an instant fine of £30, and while the community officer was writing out the fine , they were both nearly run over by a speeding cyclist , after the mother went away i asked the officer why she did not stop and fine the cyclist , she told me that although there are signs up in every entrance to the precinct, they were only advisory notices asking people not to cycle there and it was not possible to enforce it , whit a laugh, a tiny wee fag end £30 , for nearly getting injured nowt

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 28th Jul 2011, 09:41am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 28th Jul 2011, 10:06am) *
Bilbo,if you were unaware that there was a bye law in force and contravened it then I would suggest you would have a good defence.

I was under the impression that dropping litter was a criminal offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, and not just a matter for local bye-laws.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Kerry Gill
post 28th Jul 2011, 09:42am
Post #43

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,330
Typical. Hit a couple of smokers because they are an easy, and politically correct, target. Meanwhile, Glasgow must be one of the muckiest cities in Europe, or anywhere else, because of litter and general filth. Approaches, ie. roundabouts and junctions are virtual rubbish dumps. Vanmen and car drivers pull up and throw out their used drinks cans, coffee mugs, food packaging - a disgrace.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 28th Jul 2011, 09:57am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
I think a warning would have been enough in there circumstances But it there's wan thing that gets up my nose is the amount of litter and dogs dirt that fouls oor streets I have spoke aboot this afore on another site, this is a thing that i drummed intae my weans fae early on never throw anything on the street put it in yer pocket if theres nae litter bin and take it hame.

This seems tae be rampant in glesga the wife and I spent many great wee holidays in different parts o England ranging fae Scarborough on the north east tae Torquay in the south west and the thing that used tae strike us first thing on coming back either fae alighting fae bus or train and making oor wey through the city centre was the amount o rubbish o aw sorts littered o ower the streets .

I live 8 minutes walk fae Silverburn centre and go doon fer the shopping twice a week the amount o dugs dirt is eye wattering my latest count was 28 wee messages littered o ower the place, these carry o sorts o germs which are harmful especially tae young children and tae my mind a bloody disgrace.

Hang them ah say hang them highhhhhhh ,lol

+Quote Post
Plain Jane
post 28th Jul 2011, 10:43am
Post #45

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,684
QUOTE (Plain Jane @ 27th Jul 2011, 11:47pm) *
Oops sorry about that - must do better. sad.gif

--
GG: no problem, I've edited!

Thank you, but you missed my wee piece of chat. ...

Found it - thanks - promise to be more careful in the future mellow.gif

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.