Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Italian Immigrants
WeeJean
post 30th May 2007, 08:48pm
Post #31

Visitor
Member No.: 4,792
Paul yes it was Cumberland Road.
I was hoping that someone somewhere might have had some old photographs of the shops in that area taken around 1892-1903. Sratson was telling me that there were quite a number of fish/chip shops in that area but the area has be redeveloped and the shops are long gone.
Thanks for replying Paul
Wee Jean
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 26th May 2008, 07:34pm
Post #32

Visitor
Just cant believe how quickly time passes. Just had an email today to remind me its a year ago since I posted a request for help in trying to find out some information about my grandfather.
A year on and I still havent found out any other information about where he sold icecream or where the shop was.
A friend did find out where my father's youngest brother was buried in Glasgow but we still searching to try to find which cemetry my grandfather and my grandmother were buried. If and when I do find any information about my request I will certainly post it to keep you updated.
Wee Jean

+Quote Post
RonD
post 2nd Oct 2008, 12:04am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
We hud two ice cream trucks in Bishopbriggs, one was called Tony's and the other was called Ted's (Tedesco) we preferred Tony's. It was funny the dug wid sit up when Tony's van rang its bell but it widnae bother when Ted rang his.!

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
*LAC*
post 23rd Mar 2009, 02:18pm
Post #34

Hi Wee Jean - don't know if you're still interested in this subject but I just picked up the site when doing some research. My grandfather had an ice-cream shop/cafe on Crown Street near Cumberland Street (from memory, just along from the Hutcheson Boys' Grammar School. The cafe may at some point been called the Rainbow. My grandfather's name was Sebastian Pacini but the locals called him Ricky (I think his middle name may have been Ricardo).

If anyone else has any information/memories about this I'd love to hear!

+Quote Post
stratson
post 23rd Mar 2009, 02:23pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Used to go into the aforementioned cafe in Crown Street with my pal for a cuppa when we were out pushing our babies in their prams, that would be onwards from 1954. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
LAC
post 23rd Mar 2009, 03:27pm
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,695
Oh my - memories; you may remember my mum then - Helen (Nell) Cairney. She used to serve in the shop up until about 1955 - and I used to pretty much have the freedom of the shop (I would have been a wee blond 4year old in 1954!).

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 8th Apr 2009, 05:51pm
Post #37

Visitor
Sorry I've taken so long to reply but I am still looking for information sad.gif but I'm going back to 1895- to the very early 1900's and as far as I know they sold Fish/chips as well as ice-cream.
It seems it must have been in the blood because I married into an Italian family, yes before you ask they sold ice-cream and fish/chips biggrin.gif
But it was so nice to read that Stratson remembered your grandfather's shop.
Good luck for future finds and thanks for posting me the message.
Wee Jean

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 22nd May 2009, 08:54pm
Post #38

Visitor
Hi Its me again
Just to say still havent found that shop. But a cousin recently told her son that she remembered standing in the doorway of the shop and that she had helped out in the shop too, but that's all she could remember. Sadly she has just died recently.
So it seems there definatlely was a shop but it also seems I'm not meant to find it.
Earlier on I mentioned the family had changed the name to 'De Phillips' from recent research it seems they may have just used the name Phillips without the De in front of it. Dont know if this would make any difference to finding any information.
But thanks for all the information everyone had given.
Wee Jean
xx

+Quote Post
angel
post 23rd May 2009, 12:38am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (WeeJean @ 27th May 2007, 03:51pm) *
Sratson
I forgot to say I was told that another family (Demarcos) used to visit my grandparents and my uncles in Glasgow. They would bring pasta etc as gifts to the family It seems this family (Demarcos) had a big car and they were well dressed- white spats etc. but I have no idea if they came from Glasgow or south of the border, or if they had known my Gparents before they came here.
Wee Jean

Hi Jean I just thought I,d throw this in........ there was for years and years a Demarco
ice-cream shop just past the F n Fs Ballroom in Partick . smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
angel
post 23rd May 2009, 12:43am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Sorry Jean I made a mistake, that one was called the criterion,
Demarcos I believe was further along the dumbarton Rd, but still
Partick. Maybe Merkland St. ohmy.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 23rd May 2009, 03:29pm
Post #41

Visitor
Thanks Angel
I'll check that out with my cousin who is also helping me trying to solve this mystery.
I'll post any outcome of the search.
Thanks again, it could be just one such wee remark that could open Pandora's box
Wee Jean smile.gif

+Quote Post
*charles kelly*
post 9th Oct 2009, 07:01pm
Post #42

my grandfather came from italy but i think he was born on the boat coming here he was a riviter in yarrows ,i also worked with nicky demarco on his icecream vans in drumchapel.my grand father name was cascarina

+Quote Post
klingon
post 22nd Oct 2009, 12:46pm
Post #43

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (charles kelly @ 9th Oct 2009, 09:00pm) *
my grandfather came from italy but i think he was born on the boat coming here he was a riviter in yarrows ,i also worked with nicky demarco on his icecream vans in drumchapel.my grand father name was cascarina

Nicky DiMarco used to have a Garage just along from the cafe in Partick and did a lot of body repair work for all the hirecar places at the airport,this would be in 1974-I seem to remember everyone in the garage drinking Lemsips instead of tea-healthy lot!

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 6th Aug 2010, 09:02pm
Post #44

Visitor
Hi everyone who has answered my post.
Just thought you may be interested in what's been found.
It has taken a while but another Jean who is a very good friend and is a relation has been doing a lot of research to try to find out if / where my grandparents had a shop in Glasgow.
Well I feel like putting the flags out to say thank you to 'Jean' because after many months researching records etc she has finally found that my grandparents did indeed have an ice-cream/confectioners shop which was at 215 South Wellington Street.(This was about 1895/1896) There was the front shop where they sold the ice-cream etc and it seems they may have lived in the room at the back of the shop. My grandfather went round the streets selling the ice-cream.
What we cant find is a photograph so if anyone out there has an old photograph of that address we would be ever so grateful.
Thanking all who have contributed to my original post.
Wee Jean

+Quote Post
South Portland
post 1st Feb 2011, 06:22pm
Post #45

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,112
I'm a McKnight, and I had family members in many of the streets mentioned in this thread. Do you have more information on your McKnights?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.