Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crazy Weather, hail and frost
tottie ann
post 31st Oct 2016, 09:17pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 1,953
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
yesterday we had thunder storms and hailstones today we woke up to a heavy frost what's so unusual about that you may ask well here in New Zealand we are almost into out third month of spring with summer just around the corner It's summer clothes one day and winter ones the next
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
angel
post 1st Nov 2016, 01:23pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (tottie ann @ 31st Oct 2016, 09:17pm) *
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
yesterday we had thunder storms and hailstones today we woke up to a heavy frost what's so unusual about that you may ask well here in New Zealand we are almost into out third month of spring with summer just around the corner It's summer clothes one day and winter ones the next

just think tottie Ann , the fun you are having wondering what next to wear . biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 16th Nov 2016, 11:00pm
Post #3

QUOTE (angel @ 1st Nov 2016, 01:23pm) *
just think tottie Ann , the fun you are having wondering what next to wear . biggrin.gif

Drought here in north N.S.W. The state had record rain fall this year and we got none. Don't have to worry about what to wear here; cargoes, shorts, T shirts. Saves a fortune in clothes.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 17th Nov 2016, 11:33am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
I know its not weather related but I have noticed Kiwi girl has not been around since the last NZ earthquake. Hope she is alright.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 18th Nov 2016, 11:54am
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 17th Nov 2016, 11:33am) *
I know its not weather related but I have noticed Kiwi girl has not been around since the last NZ earthquake. Hope she is alright.

I am fine thanks Dave but still feeling a bit nervous.

When the two big quakes (7.5 and 7.8) hit just after midnight on Sunday I initially thought it was yet another aftershock which we are still getting following the Christchurch earthquakes in 2010 and 2011. This was different though and rather than intense shaking it was more the rolling type, with no noise. I then thought it could be main Alpine fault going off so I got under the dining table. There was no damage, only to nerves, but everything was swaying for a good two minutes. Then the phone calls from family and friends to check if we were all okay. What would we do without them?

As you probably know, Kaikoura, a small place on the eastern coast, was badly hit and is a shambles. Tourists have now been evacuated by air and sea as the main access roads are closed. Thank goodness the quakes hit during the night as there could have been more casualties if it had been daytime.

Wellington felt the quakes strongly of course and many buildings are now closed, probably to be demolished. The epicentre was close to Hanmer Springs, a small thermal resort just north of Christchurch. It didn't get any major damage, which is amazing. I am going there with my family for 5 days in January, so am now wondering about the wisdom of going at all.

These latest quakes have us all thinking that we will never get to the end of them and wonder what is coming next. We all try to get on with life and stay positive but it gets you down at times. Next May, I am coming over to the UK to spend several months with my daughter. I've still not booked my return flight - who knows, I may not want to come back? I say this partly I jest as I love New Zealand and have lived here for 53 years.

Thank you Dave for your concern.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 18th Nov 2016, 02:56pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Glad to hear you are OK and that your property also escaped. I believe you about your nerves, it cant be nice going to bed not knowing if you will wake up next morning with no trouble.
I am also in Glasgow next May. I leave here on the 25 April and land next morning on my young brothers 69th birthday. Really looking forward to it. I have a return date booked but may end up changing it if I feel like staying longer. Qatar Airways, I managed to get a good price a couple of months ago.
Take care SKL, I remember years ago lying in bed and was awoken by the roar of a train rushing toward the building we lived in, as the tremor passed underneath us the windows and walls started vibrating. Not a nice experience to wake up to.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.