Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ginger Wine Sweet Wine, New years drink for the kids.
Kenny Hill
post 1st May 2013, 11:15am
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 10,339
I remember back in the early 60's my old granny would make us kids (although the tee-total adults loved it too) a drink at the new year that I remember being called 'Ginger Wine', it had a weep nip to it and kind of caught the back of the throat on the way down.....but it was great! She also made a Sweet Wine...that was REALLY sweet...this was by far the favourite of us kids, but owing to it being too sweet it was hard to drink a lot of it.

I know she used to make these two drinks in bulk and fill old ginger bottles with it and my Ma always got a bottle of each to take home for me and ma wee brother to scoff.

Does anyone remember this 'wine'?.....I don't believe it was a wine at all, more like a syrupy ginger. If anyone remembers it or has a recipe for either one I would love to see it posted here.

I know it couldn't have been expensive to make because my auld granny was as poor as they come. I kind of remember some relatives when asked about the recipe mentioning a ginger essence or something that was bought from the co-op as one of the ingredients, but not sure if this was just idle chat or not.

Much appreciated hearing from anyone with any info.

Kenny
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CAT
post 1st May 2013, 11:22am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
Oh the memories of ginger wine. My mum used to make it when i was wee and I didn't like it much. I remember as a teenager my friend Ann's mum used to make it still carrying on with tradition. She gave me a glass once and I politely told her it was delicious. Every time I went up over the festive period she always poured some especially for me and would also give me a bottle ( always in a ginger bottle) to take home. I didn't have the heart to tell her I hated it. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
CAT
post 1st May 2013, 11:24am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
I am going to my mums tonight she's 91 now but I am sure she'll remember how its made. Only worry is she might make some. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kenny Hill
post 1st May 2013, 01:43pm
Post #4

Settling In
QUOTE (CAT @ 1st May 2013, 11:41am) *
I am going to my mums tonight she's 91 now but I am sure she'll remember how its made. Only worry is she might make some. laugh.gif

Good stuff Cat....If your Mum remembers the recipe please post it......Oh and if she makes some and gives it to you.....I'll gladly drink it for you!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
CAT
post 1st May 2013, 02:32pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Your welcome to drink it. I just remember it being quite spicy.

+Quote Post
serabash
post 1st May 2013, 03:45pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
yule ade ginger cordial and raspberry corial bought from the co-op and still available today.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 1st May 2013, 04:04pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
The recipe has been on another thread in here a few times, can't remember which one, sorry!!
My friend made some recently and gave me a bottle on my birthday last month. It was delicious, nippy but so good smile.gif

+Quote Post
CAT
post 2nd May 2013, 08:23am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Can't believe it she say's she never made but bought it. I remember it in recyled ginger bottles.
Her sister used to make it so she is going to ask her. I can feel a whole batch of this stuff coming on laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kenny Hill
post 2nd May 2013, 08:24am
Post #9

Settling In
QUOTE (Elma @ 1st May 2013, 04:21pm) *
The recipe has been on another thread in here a few times, can't remember which one, sorry!!
My friend made some recently and gave me a bottle on my birthday last month. It was delicious, nippy but so good smile.gif

Elma could you maybe ask your friend for the recipe and post it here?......That would be great if you could.

+Quote Post
Kenny Hill
post 2nd May 2013, 08:26am
Post #10

Settling In
QUOTE (serabash @ 1st May 2013, 04:02pm) *
yule ade ginger cordial and raspberry corial bought from the co-op and still available today.

Thanks serabash, I'll check these two out, but the ones I am talking about were home made recipes......I doubt the co-op's will be as good, but you never know.

+Quote Post
Kenny Hill
post 2nd May 2013, 08:30am
Post #11

Settling In
QUOTE (CAT @ 2nd May 2013, 08:40am) *
Can't believe it she say's she never made but bought it. I remember it in recyled ginger bottles.
Her sister used to make it so she is going to ask her. I can feel a whole batch of this stuff coming on laugh.gif

Thats how I remember it too Cat in the recycled ginger bottles.....My wee maw said she remembered that the co-op sold some kind of ginger extract or something in a wee bottle that ma granny added to the mix....but ma wee maw's dotin noo so she could be haverin. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
*guvinya bass*
post 5th May 2013, 07:19am
Post #12

QUOTE (serabash @ 1st May 2013, 04:02pm) *

The yon co-op ginger wine wis whit usyins weans ayewis drank at n'erday an uistae stagger aroon stoshious when yea so called adults got oaf their face an' fell oot their tree.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.