Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Second Betrayal Of William Wallace, Wallace's Well on brink of destruction
GG
post 9th Jun 2011, 07:42am
Post #61

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
I did a quick calculation on mortgage repayments on a Cala Inglewood property at Wallacefield, Robroyston. I assumed that the buyer had 25% of the purchase price up front, i.e. 103,750 of the 415,000 price. This would mean a current monthly repayment fee of 1,780.23 ... a wee bit pricey for a nurse or a teacher? If they've only got a 10% deposit, the monthly repayments would jump to about 2,200!

Cala Wallacefield publicity spiel:
Wallacefield offers a range of 4 and 5 bedroom detached new homes and lies just to the north of the Glasgow suburb of Robroyston, where the City of Glasgow gives way to East Dunbartonshire close to Bishopbriggs and Lenzie.

It is a land rich in history. The area has strong links to William Wallace and is the site of his capture by the English. A monument can be found close by in honour of him. Robroyston was also home to one of Glasgow’s early 20th century municipal hospitals.

In recent years this semi-rural location has grown as a popular residential setting, being well situated for the needs of today’s discerning family. Just eight miles from Glasgow’s city centre, Robroyston lies just a short distance from the M80 motorway and is therefore connected to the central belt’s motorway network and providing easy access to both Edinburgh and Stirling.

Wallace was, of course, not "captured by the English", rather, he was captured by forces loyal to – and acting on the orders of – a Scottish lord, Sir John Monteith, a one-time ally of the former Guardian of Scotland.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 9th Jun 2011, 12:24pm
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Thanks for the gen Martin, looking at those figures even some decent QC's would struggle to keep up the mortgage repayments and fill the BMW up. No sure how many units have been built but that's sure a lot of Lawyers living up there, the sewage system must be overloaded.

We did have problems with developers trying to build unnecessary rubbish in our wee village, got the local parish council on it and blocked prelim planning persmission right off the bat, sent the greesy swines aff wi the tail between their legs.

Discerning families, my arseum!

Anywan with a mere iota of common dug wit widnea be ripped aff and fork oot such astronomical sums for a pile of breeze blocks, it no like they are "exclusive properties" It's disgusting that they have been allowed to encroach on such a sacred site. Retrospective demolition should be applied for, seek out a breech of planning regs and return the land to arable farming or woodland.

Wan thing is certain, Wallace's Well and his memory will still be around when those exorbitant piles have crumbled to dust hopefully along with the capitalistic piggery system that generated them.

The spin / sales patter merchants cannea even get some basic, simple historical fact, right. Captured by the Engleesh, a primary 1 wean wid ken better. Well in oor day at any rate.

That turncoat Monteith has a lot to answer for. Did he no get his just deserts at the end of a pike? smile.gif

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 9th Jun 2011, 05:30pm
Post #63

Mr Glasgow Guide, may I congratulate you and all your friends on this forum for the sterling work done in raising the profile of what is happening at Wallacefield.

Lou. Cheerio.

+Quote Post
beezzneezz1
post 9th Jun 2011, 11:34pm
Post #64

Visitor
Member No.: 6,906
hi, i passed the sight of wallaces well today ...THEY WERE FIXING THE WALL....it looks perfect now...yeehaa biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
*Duncan Fenton*
post 21st Jun 2011, 12:08am
Post #65

Here are photos taken last Sunday.

The wall has been underpinned & totally rebuilt. It will now be repointed. The steps have been replaced, & the old concrete floor in front of the well removed & replaced by Caithness slabs.

The 6 foot weeds have been uprooted from the burn, which has been widened & deepened allowing a faster flow of water which should prevent stagnation in the future.

It will be a massive transformation when it is complete.

It looks as though we will get chevron marker boards in front of the wall, but we will still push for speedbumps, although this idea has been rejected in the past.

It is heartwarming to see this finally taking shape after 15 years of struggle.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
GG
post 21st Jun 2011, 10:53pm
Post #66

Administrator
Group Icon
Thanks, Duncan, I've not been out for a few weeks, but hope to go shortly.

It's good to see that there has been some progress at the site to restore Wallace's Well to its former state, even enhance some aspects of it. However, leaving aside the many years of council neglect for a moment, the over-riding priority just now is to put in place measures which will safeguard the well from further destruction. It will simply not be good enough for the council to walk away from this after repairing the damage which was easily preventable in the first place. There has to be a traffic management plan in place which will take into account the huge increase in traffic over the last five years. As you say, speed-bumps, perhaps, most definitely better sign-posting, both in terms of traffic warning and also to highlight the site (and the nearby Wallace Monument) as sites of national importance.

I also think that Historic Scotland should be made to reconsider its disrgaceful decision of 1993, when it quietly – with the support of the then district council – stripped Wallace's Well of its protected 'B'-listed status, deciding that the site was "of little historical interest".

Yourself, the Society of William Wallace and the Robroyston.org site do a good job of raising awareness of the issues, but at some point someone with power needs to get involved to stand up for these two sites that are, most definitely, of significant historical interest. The silence of our elected representatives at all levels has been deafening.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Jun 2011, 12:46am
Post #67

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (GG @ 21st Jun 2011, 11:01pm) *
Yourself, the Society of William Wallace and the Robroyston.org site do a good job of raising awareness of the issues ...

... And, of course, the late David Ross:

http://video.stv.tv/bc/scotland-history-20...llace-monument/

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 22nd Jun 2011, 01:20am
Post #68

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Marvelous news. Heart-warmin' picture.
A first step in the required direction of preserving this historic feature.
It must not be allowed to become a make-do-and-mend measure.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 22nd Jun 2011, 01:48pm
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
I think I have said this before about this topic ( getting old ohmy.gif ) but what exactly is stopping the cooncil putting up the road signs and speed bumps? I really don't get it as surely this would be much cheaper than keeping having to repair a wall which will one day at this rate end up being unrepairable.

+Quote Post
*Duncan Fenton*
post 16th Jul 2011, 09:16am
Post #70

I have umpteen letters from HS quoting all silly & weak reason for not re-listing the well. The only way this will be resolved is post-independence, when this Westminster-run government quango is forced out of existence & replaced by a body who actually care about Scotland’s heritage. The abrupt & high-handed tone of some of the replies I have received are a disgrace.

QUOTE (Scotsman @ 22nd Jun 2011, 01:41pm) *
I think I have said this before about this topic ( getting old ohmy.gif ) but what exactly is stopping the cooncil putting up the road signs and speed bumps? I really don't get it as surely this would be much cheaper than keeping having to repair a wall which will one day at this rate end up being unrepairable.

I have been told that there is a law which prevents speedbumps being installed on a road with no street lighting. We are trying to do a work-around with the council on this. I think there are exceptional circumstances here.

I have been informed that the road signage problem will now be addressed, which we have campaigned for since the first houses went up in 1999. As more rounabouts & roadworks went in, people couldn't find their way to the annual commemoration in August.

+Quote Post
**Delia**
post 15th Aug 2011, 05:52am
Post #71

Is there any update on progress at the site?

Delia.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 16th Aug 2011, 07:25pm
Post #72

There had been some work at the site a couple of months ago as I viewed it every day when working, and back to school tomorrow! Look forward to seeing how it has progressed.

+Quote Post
GG
post 16th Aug 2011, 09:57pm
Post #73

Administrator
Group Icon
Funnily enough, Delia, there was an article in the Scottish Daily Mail yesterday about the Robroyston Wallace Monument and Wallace's Well. I can't find it online (the SDM doesn't put content online), though I do have the paper version somewhere. I'll look it out and relay the contents.

Duncan, don't know if you saw this artilce, but email me and I will send on a copy. There's a couple of rather questionable quotes from Historic Scotland.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 23rd Aug 2011, 07:49pm
Post #74

Administrator
Group Icon
A reference in the Scotsman today to the Robroyston Wallace monument from columnist Hugh Reilly:

Hugh Reilly: Labour again on the wrong side of history

I often wonder what became of Wullie Melrose. Affectionately known as Melly by his friends (and Smelly by his enemies), he was an early version of Bear Grylls. If feeling peckish, he would nibble strangely coloured plants, his vegetarian snack washed down by sooking water from puddles.

One day, he and I were in the rhubarb fields of Robroyston and, as was his wont, he gorged on several stalks of unripened rhubarb. Half an hour later, we chanced upon a dilapidated monument to some loser called William Wallace. To us, he was an unknown warrior. From our History lessons, we knew Richard the Lionheart had given Moslem squatters a bit of a kicking in the Holy Land and we could recite the names of most Tudor and Plantagenet monarchs. But this mysterious Wallace character appeared to be Scottish and, as such, did not merit a mention in the history curriculum of our school.

As I read the inscription, Melly suddenly darted behind a large tree and screamed as the purging effect of chomping on unwashed rhubarb rapidly drained his digestive system. Being a good pal, I tossed some dock leaves in his direction to assist the clean-up operation.

Thanks to Mel Gibson's Braveheart, the Wallace Monument has been refurbished. Historians believe it is the spot where Wallace was betrayed and carted off to London for execution. In any other land, this site would have been preserved for visitors to imagine the freedom fighter lying in the long grass, seeking to evade capture. Instead, due to the scale of the Wimpey housing surrounding the memorial, a tourist could be forgiven for thinking Wallace was caught hiding in the insulated loft of a three-bed sem. ...

Full article here:
http://news.scotsman.com/hughreilly/Hugh-R...n-on.6823396.jp

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 24th Aug 2011, 11:09am
Post #75

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
From the same article ...

I'm speculating here, but Scotland must be the only country in the world where teaching children the history of their own nation is perceived to be treason. The idea that introducing Scottish Studies to the national curriculum is brainwashing our children is farcical beyond belief. By this flawed logic, allowing biology students to dissect creatures increases the likelihood of turning them into limbs-in-the-loch killers.

When I went to Scotland with big Kriss, the German - TeeHee's Trip - two of the things to see on Kriss' list were
i) the battlefield at Falkirk and
ii) Rob Roy's grave.
We found Rob Roy's grave with great difficulty after stoppin' at wee shop somewhere in the likely area and asking.
I think if you go down this wee road somewhere you might find it.
But the battlefield was a maybe/maybe not job where even the tourist information people at the site of the Falkirk Wheel had absolutely no clue.
After a long search we did eventually find a commemorative post, on a dangerous bend on a road, which stated that the battle might have taken place in one of the adjacent fields so we had to find a safe place to park-up and the task then was to look through all the fields and work out which one would be the most likely venue for a full scale battle.
We selected our field and; using my German Army bayonet which I'd brought along as a camping tool, cut out a wee patch of grass to put into a wee flat sweetie tin for Kriss (who knew more about Wallace than I did) to bring back home to Germany - where his wee bit of the battlefield still flourishes after 2 years.

Yes, Mr Reilly has made a good point; sad to say ... hidden history indeed.
Mary thought Rob Roy was a fictional character but she's part Swiss where their greatest hero; William Tell, was fictional - so she can be forgiven. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.