Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1430 Pages V  « < 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
bilbo.s
post 24th May 2017, 09:44pm
Post #20086

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 24th May 2017, 09:46pm) *

wink.gif

Your best post ever! What took you so long? laugh.gif Keep it up!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 24th May 2017, 11:42pm
Post #20087

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 24th May 2017, 08:46pm) *

wink.gif

I'm assuming that is supposed to be tumbleweed?

You do realised you've just made a rod for your own back?

Here's one of your heroes take on the Vow.

http://www.thenational.scot/politics/14888...filled_The_Vow/

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 25th May 2017, 12:02am
Post #20088

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

Hold on, your evidence that the vow was not fulfilled is an article from 2015 before either Holyrood or Westminster voted on the Scotland act, which the SNP Politicians in both houses voted for..

Gotcha!

Now of course I did not want you trawling the internet for articles from 2015 to see if Brown thought the Vow was fulfilled, I asked YOU to post the vow, thats the wording from the actual VOW that you say has NOT been fulfilled.
Its a small request jagz and I figured it would be an easy one but 3 days later and you still haven't done it.

I'll hold off on the rod for now.

PS I see you've got the wee cry baby face again saying someone else is my hero.. Why do you and yer Spanish mate get so offended at me saying I will vote for someone else...I'm just waiting ro be called an apostate, thats what cultists do dont they?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 3rd Jun 2017, 05:10pm
Post #20089

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
'All Under One Banner' is the latest name for this weekend's indy march.

Some photies from the web:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Two things:

Firstly, where I come from marching is nothing new.

Attached Image

Secondly, it's 'All' radical Yessers, it will never be all people.

It's divisive,
it's Scotland,
and it's getting worse.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 3rd Jun 2017, 05:54pm
Post #20090

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 3rd Jun 2017, 07:10pm) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Two things:

Attached Image

It's divisive,
it's Scotland,
and it's getting worse.

You're fairly coming out with sound-bites now. Anything political is divisive. Elections are divisive. Referenda are divisive. Parliamentary debates are divisive. Council meetings are divisive. Discussions in pubs are divisive. Religions are divisive.

You don't want divisive? You want everyone to think the same? Try "Brave New World", if that's your idea of Utopia, a dictatorship ruling the populace by means of tranquilising drugs. Oh wait, we're almost there, with the media the new "***IGNORED WORDS***", and it's definitely getting worse. When "all people" are successfully conditioned, we won't have any more marches- whoopee! Westminster and you will be happy.

BTW, I had no idea you hailed from Lonach, haha!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 3rd Jun 2017, 09:37pm
Post #20091

Mega City Key Holder
We had our referendum, thank you very much.

In spite of the institutionalised denial of the Governing Party, a section of its support is obsessed with a Political outcome.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 3rd Jun 2017, 09:50pm
Post #20092

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 3rd Jun 2017, 11:37pm) *
We had our referendum, thank you very much.

In spite of the institutionalised denial of the Governing Party, a section of its support is obsessed with a Political outcome.

Very colourful, but rubbish.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 4th Jun 2017, 08:01am
Post #20093

Mega City Key Holder
Sadly, there is worse news than a silly little march making the headlines this morning, and Sturgeon has other things on her mind. Sadly, your point about religion has been proven right yet again last night in London. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 4th Jun 2017, 09:20am
Post #20094

Mega City Key Holder
Call the Topic Polis- there's been a murdurr!

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 4th Jun 2017, 12:54pm
Post #20095

Mega City Key Holder

The SNP manifesto promises “a fairer, more equal Scotland” and a “clear alternative to continued austerity”.

But does it pass the FactCheck test?

A manifesto for Scotland?

This is one of the more confusing manifestos of this election, as it flips between discussing policies set by the government in Westminster and those under the control of the Scottish Government.

For instance, the SNP are promising “the continuation of free university education in Scotland”.

But it is constitutionally impossible for their MPs in Westminster to do this, because education is a devolved issue in Scotland.

Only members of the Scottish Government can make this promise – but they are not the ones being elected in this election.

Whole swathes of this manifesto discuss issues that are simply not at stake in this general election.

‘Responsible’ public finances?

The SNP pledge to balance the current budget – so that government spending equals the money brought in by taxes – by 2021-22.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies says the plans “imply a net increase in taxes”, but most of the money will have to come from more government borrowing.

The SNP put it differently, saying their plans would “free up” £120 billion of extra public spending between 2017-18 and 2021-22. That language disguises what is actually just more borrowing and more debt.

The SNP seems to be the only party openly flouting one of the “golden rules” of managing public finances: that governments should only borrow money to fund long term investment in the economy, rather than just plugging holes in tax revenues.

Labour and the Tories have both said they’ll follow that rule from this year if they’re elected. But the SNP say they’ll only bring it in from 2022.

How effective would the 50p tax be?

The SNP want to raise the additional rate of income tax (i.e. on earnings over £150,000) from 45 per cent to 50 per cent from 2018-19.

They want to make sure this is a UK-wide, because “there is a risk that an increase in the additional rate … in Scotland alone would lead to a loss of revenue”.

At first glance, that makes sense. People on higher incomes have access to the means to avoid, and even evade, taxes. If Scotland sticks its neck out with a 50p additional rate and the rest of the country doesn’t, those top earners could simply divert their money to other parts of the UK, and the Scottish taxman will lose out relative to the rest of the country.

But even if the 50p rate was rolled out nationwide, can we guarantee that it would bring in more money for the UK Exchequer?

The last time the top rate of tax was this high was 2009, when the Labour government announced a new additional rate. It was expected to raise £2.5 billion for the Treasury, but data from HMRC published in 2012 shows that the change probably brought in much less than originally predicted because of “forestalling”. Top earners heard about the change in the 2009 Budget and brought forward their self-declared income to avoid paying the 50 per cent rate the following year.

Given that the ultimate revenue is partly down to human behaviour, all anyone can do is make an educated guess.

Are the SNP really anti-austerity?

Although it’s an opposition party in Westminster, the SNP already has control of the devolved Scottish parliament (albeit as a minority government).

It has responsibility over key areas such as tax, health, and education and social services. But the party’s actions have not always tallied with the rhetoric.

During the last General Election the IFS claimed the SNP’s plans would mean a longer period of austerity than any other party was proposing.

In government, the SNP have failed to protect services from what their manifesto calls “damaging Tory cuts”.

In some cases, they have gone along with the austerity or even gone further than the Conservatives.

Healthcare spending in England increased by 9.2 per cent in real terms between 2011/12 and 2015/16, according to the Treasury. In Scotland, meanwhile, the SNP oversaw an increase of just 3.7 per cent in Scotland.

The manifesto says the SNP will “commit – as we always have done – to implementing the recommendations of the pay review body”. Labour’s manifesto, by comparison, unequivocally promises to “scrap the NHS pay cap”.

And, unlike Labour, the SNP has no plans to increase tax for big business. They plan to increase public subsidies paid to the oil and gas industry, but could not tell FactCheck what the cost to the taxpayer would be.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 4th Jun 2017, 01:18pm
Post #20096

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 3rd Jun 2017, 05:10pm) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Two things:

Attached Image

It's divisive,
it's Scotland,
and it's getting worse.

Where there any EU flags among them?

I see some people are saying if you want a strong Labour government then you should vote SNP in Scotland and Labour in Wales/England wacko.gif

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 5th Jun 2017, 07:51am
Post #20097

Mega City Key Holder
http://marksimonfrankland.blogspot.com.es/...o-read.html?m=1

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 5th Jun 2017, 07:53am
Post #20098

Mega City Key Holder
http://marksimonfrankland.blogspot.com.es/...o-read.html?m=1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 5th Jun 2017, 09:11am
Post #20099

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Good for a laugh, he thinks 95000 is 2% of the Scottish population.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 5th Jun 2017, 10:17am
Post #20100

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 5th Jun 2017, 11:11am) *
Good for a laugh, he thinks 95000 is 2% of the Scottish population.

OK, great mathematician,you tell us what percentage to the nearest whole number it is.

--------------------

+Quote Post

1430 Pages V  « < 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.