Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brexit News, We told you so.
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2020, 02:58pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (DannyH @ 20th Jan 2020, 11:23am) *
Thought I would submit a post for the benefit of overseas readers. Some of the posts submitted by Jagz and his pals must give the impression that the UK citizens are faced with starvation. Food shortages!

So for overseas readers, please ignore these scare mongers. Their constant searching for links to uphold their argument is pathetic. Jagz and others quote the National to support their argument, but express disdain for the Daily Express.

Danny

When did i post about "food shortages", "starvation" or even "shop closures" Danny?

Why should "overseas readers, please ignore these scare mongers", is your opinion the only valid voice?

I think you'll find that i have used links to Daily Express stories before, so instead of complaining about the content of my posts then why don't you debunk them by using facts than just saying everyone who has a different opinion from you is wrong?

Perhaps you can start with proving me wrong and that the farmers are actually delighted that their present EU financial support is being cut, maybe the fishermen are happy that they'll still have to share Scottish waters with EU fishing fleets after all ?

Try and reply without using childish insults.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 20th Jan 2020, 04:31pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (ashfield @ 20th Jan 2020, 01:05pm) *
Danny, just in case it has escaped your notice, we’ve not officially left the EU yet. I’m not sure if you class me amongst JAGZ pals, but I can’t recall ever claiming that food shops would close as a result of Brexit. I did say that I thought that food would increase in price and that remains my view. I also think it’s inevitable that we will have less of a choice of fresh foods. The full impact of leaving won’t be felt today, tomorrow, next week or perhaps even next year. It will eventually change our way of life and the lives of our children and their children, and it remains my opinion, not for the better.

Hello Ashfield

Thank you for your polite response.

I do not class you as one of Jagz pals.

I will pick up on your point that in your view, that food will increase in price. So, what I would like you to do is give the reasons for that opinion. My view is that, just as in the distant past, we will now be free to do food trade deals throughout the world. At the moment, even although we are in the EU, much of the fruit I buy comes from non-European countries, such as Chile, Brazil, South Africa. I also buy wine produced in non-European countries. The meat and vegetable products I buy are mainly Scottish.

I agree that the full impact of us leaving the EU won’t be realised for a considerable number of years. That being the case, neither of us can say with certainty which way it will go. However, there are people who are much more savvy about making a fast buck than your average working man. Guys like the founders of Amazon and other entrepreneurs. They will get consumer goods to the UK if there is a demand.

What seems to be ignored is that in Scotland we have high rates of obesity, drug addiction etc. We as a nation are so obsessed with Brexit, Independence, that politicians of all parties have forgotten their day job. That is, to do what they have been elected for, not to keep campaigning for Independence etc.

Danny

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 20th Jan 2020, 05:36pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 17th Jan 2020, 05:01pm) *
I wish i'd thought of doing a "We Told You So" thread on the morning of 19th September 2014. ;)

I think this was your response to, amongst other issues, shop closures Jagz

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2020, 05:36pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
First Holyrood withholds Brexit bill consent now Stormont.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51174448

Come on Wales join us, let's give England it's independence. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2020, 05:40pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 20th Jan 2020, 05:36pm) *
I think this was your response to, amongst other issues, shop closures Jagz

No, wrong again Danny, i was responding to Kems "we told you so" thread idea, not the post #3 he made above my post.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 20th Jan 2020, 06:29pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (DannyH @ 20th Jan 2020, 04:31pm) *
Hello Ashfield

I will pick up on your point that in your view, that food will increase in price. So, what I would like you to do is give the reasons for that opinion. My view is that, just as in the distant past, we will now be free to do food trade deals throughout the world. At the moment, even although we are in the EU, much of the fruit I buy comes from non-European countries, such as Chile, Brazil, South Africa. I also buy wine produced in non-European countries. The meat and vegetable products I buy are mainly Scottish.

Danny

Danny, I'm not a retail expert but there are a few obvious issues on the horizon. UK Farmers have been told to get used to the idea of not relying on subsidies and that coupled with the likelihood of them having to meet a higher wage bill for seasonal labour will push up their selling prices. As you rightly say, much of our food and drink in our supermarkets originate from non EU countries, but it gets to us via the EU ports and the costs associated with imports will be outwith our control or influence. Much will also depend on how strong the pound is, it's doing okish right now but will that be sustained? I don't think it will as the full impact of our departure becomes evident.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
wombat
post 20th Jan 2020, 08:21pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
rolleyes.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 21st Jan 2020, 06:49pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
"Brexit Party MEP complains about not having say on EU law after Brexit"

Most of us knew that the English Nationalist separatists weren't' the brightest buttons in the box, but this really isn't a spoof story. laugh.gif

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...n-a9294051.html

She clearly wants her Eccles cake and eat it. wink.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 21st Jan 2020, 07:31pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 21st Jan 2020, 06:49pm) *
"Brexit Party MEP complains about not having say on EU law after Brexit"

Most of us knew that the English Nationalist separatists weren't' the brightest buttons in the box, but this really isn't a spoof story. laugh.gif

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...n-a9294051.html

She clearly wants her Eccles cake and eat it. wink.gif

Has anybody told her about her pay packet yet tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 21st Jan 2020, 08:25pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 21st Jan 2020, 07:31pm) *
Has anybody told her about her pay packet yet tongue.gif

No doubt she'll have a large pension to fall back on. wink.gif

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 21st Jan 2020, 09:37pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 20th Jan 2020, 06:29pm) *
Danny, I'm not a retail expert but there are a few obvious issues on the horizon. UK Farmers have been told to get used to the idea of not relying on subsidies and that coupled with the likelihood of them having to meet a higher wage bill for seasonal labour will push up their selling prices. As you rightly say, much of our food and drink in our supermarkets originate from non EU countries, but it gets to us via the EU ports and the costs associated with imports will be outwith our control or influence. Much will also depend on how strong the pound is, it's doing okish right now but will that be sustained? I don't think it will as the full impact of our departure becomes evident.

Ashfield, let me start by saying it is refreshing to be able to debate in a friendly manner with someone who has a different opinion than me regarding the issue under discussion.

So regarding the UK farmers and their reliance on EU subsidies, I think what has happened to modern Western society is that we have become Americanised. That is, we have become a must have society. We must have the latest iPhone at 400 say, which is produced in China. However, we as a society take for granted that food should be cheap. If British farmers need subsidies to make a living, surely they are no different from a company which manufactures motor cars. The product has to make a profit, so you cost the product accordingly. The farmers can’t do that because the supermarkets control the market price for farm produced food. So the reality of the situation is that Governments have the choice of subsidising our food production, or saying to the public, “Look, if you want food on the table, you will have to pay the market price that the farmers need to make a profit”.

I am aware that there are many, many families in the UK who are struggling to put food on the table. There are millions who are not struggling to do this. I came home tonight on a packed train during the peak period. I can state with confidence that the majority of them had a smart phone or other digital technology device in their hands. This is not a criticism. It is the reality of modern day living. So my question to them is, “Would you stop using that device, in order that you could put food on the table for your family”?

Danny

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd Jan 2020, 08:30am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 20th Jan 2020, 05:36pm) *
First Holyrood withholds Brexit bill consent now Stormont.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51174448

Come on Wales join us, let's give England it's independence. laugh.gif

Well done Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-51181641

I would love to hear one of our regular Unionists explain how this is a union of equals again, how about it Kem, Carmella, DJ...?

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 22nd Jan 2020, 08:55am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Danny, I'm not an expert in lots of things and how and why farmers get subsidies is one of those many things. My belief is that it relates to the UK wanting to ensure we did not have to rely on imports in times of conflict. What seems clear is that many farmers and food producers only survive because of them so a different way of life is ahead for all of us. I'm even less of an expert in understanding why rich (often absent) landowners get outrageous grants, but that's a topic for elsewhere.

At the risk of getting into yet another off topic issue, the latest Apple phones actually cost around 1000. Having said that, Aldi were selling a "smart" phone for just under 40 last year so they are not all excruciatingly expensive. Having said that, I think there is a danger in measuring the wealth of individuals based on possessions. I still think life will change for many people and the tightening of belts will feature amongst those changes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 22nd Jan 2020, 11:50am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 22nd Jan 2020, 08:55am) *
Danny, I'm not an expert in lots of things and how and why farmers get subsidies is one of those many things. My belief is that it relates to the UK wanting to ensure we did not have to rely on imports in times of conflict. What seems clear is that many farmers and food producers only survive because of them so a different way of life is ahead for all of us. I'm even less of an expert in understanding why rich (often absent) landowners get outrageous grants, but that's a topic for elsewhere.

At the risk of getting into yet another off topic issue, the latest Apple phones actually cost around 1000. Having said that, Aldi were selling a "smart" phone for just under 40 last year so they are not all excruciatingly expensive. Having said that, I think there is a danger in measuring the wealth of individuals based on possessions. I still think life will change for many people and the tightening of belts will feature amongst those changes.

Ashfield, thank you for your reply. Like you I am not an expert on the subject of farmers subsidies. I have assumed they get subsidies because they would otherwise be running at a loss. So moving on to the cost of Apple phones, thank you for informing me of the actual cost. I was hurrying to Central Station along Union Street, in Glasgow, about 6 pm. It was dark, and I passed a shop window full of Apple phones. They were all priced around 400. In my ignorance, I thought they were new. I guess they must be trade ins.

I am sure, like me, you don’t want to get into an ongoing argument about food subsidies, so let’s wait and see what happens.

Danny

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd Jan 2020, 05:37pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
The new Brexit clock has been unveiled. laugh.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th Apr 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.