Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thistle Street Gorbals - Lost Friends, Finding old pals
Chrissie
post 31st Jan 2011, 12:00am
Post #31

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,556
DannyH - You seem to know your way around Glasgow sites. Can I access the 1911 census wothout paying?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Fitzpatrick
post 31st Jan 2011, 05:14pm
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,260
Reply to Mat..Glasgow,
Had a look, great photos. Will contact Andy (site owner) also "ozie46" who left comment 112 Thistle st photo.
Thank you Martin,
John Fitzpatrick.

Reply to Danny H,
Found Valuation Rolls as directed. 1913/14 roll only one on site. But a very good start as I found my Grandfather at 112 Thistle St. Will search for others in nearby Streets.
Thank you Danny.
John Fitzpatrick.

+Quote Post
stevie duffy
post 1st Feb 2011, 12:14pm
Post #33

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,229
cheers danny,will do...

+Quote Post
*Conor Keogh*
post 15th Mar 2011, 12:07am
Post #34

Hello Johnny.
Mu Uncle is called Eddie Connor and he now lives in Dublin. I know he grew up on Thistle Street around that time.
Conor Keogh

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 10th Jun 2011, 08:43pm
Post #35

QUOTE (Nick Carr @ 9th Dec 2010, 04:03pm) *
Hi,

My great-grandmother was Lithuanian and we think her husband was either Lithuanian or Latvian. They lived at 40 Crown Street and was at 142 Thistle Street in 1953 according to his death certificate. I think the Crown Street address was from 1908 when they married. We believe they came across to Glasgow around 1904-1906 but again not sure.
My great grandmother's name was Magdalene (Maggie) Letuvniku and my great grandfather was Joseph Zarancha. They married in St. Luke's in 1908. Joseph was apparently a coal miner and died in September 1953. Magdalene died in 1966 in East Kilbride.
Does anyone recognise any of these names ? How about any of their children, Jonas (John) b.1909, Alphonsas b.1910, Alice b.1912, Julie b.1915, Annellia b. 1916, Charles b. 1918, Annie b. 1922. Some of the family started using the name Rankin but not sure when this started.
I'd love to hear from anyone who recognises any of these names. My mum is also very keen to learn a little more of the family history. Likewise anyone who has any photos of Crown Street, Thistle Street or Lawmoor Street, I'd be very keen to hear from.

Many thanks
Nick Carr

Hi Nick Carr
My name is Neil Zarancha my great grandma and grandad is also your great grandma /grandad,my grandad was jonas (john) zarancha my farther is Joseph (joe) Zarancha also known as joe rankin i await any reply. Thanks Neil Zaranch

+Quote Post
*Margaret Flint*
post 17th Jun 2012, 11:26am
Post #36

QUOTE (maria vesic @ 15th Sep 2010, 08:27pm) *
Was born at 75 thistle street 1945, moved to Castlemilk in 1954, I remember everything even at nine years old,those days were very innocent although we did not have much then but the people were very special and good, I remember playing in the back with just broken cups as money to play shops, and we had concerts as entertainment, the people all helped each other, I am now in the USA. Florida, and tell my kids about Glasgow,God bless!

P.S. I remember mammy throwing a piece and jam out the window, lol!

quote name='maria vesic' date='15th Sep 2010, 08:27pm' post='317838'

16 June 2012
I am researching the Philp family for my mother-in-law. James Philp died at his home, 75 Thistle St, on 5th January 1879. I wonder if the building where you were born was the same place. Any photos?My mother-in-law is 96 and is very interested.
I am writing from Australia. Unfortunately, I have never been to Scotland.

+Quote Post
**Sheona**
post 22nd Jan 2014, 05:21pm
Post #37

hello,
my Great- grandparents were Russian Morris and Rachel Green and lived in 1901 number 5 Thistle Street 1901 cencus then 1911 number 20 Thistle street Jewish family had about 8 sons and my grandmother Sarah I know my great uncle David married a Rachel Silverman
does anyone remember any of the family

+Quote Post
*Isobel Mclucas*
post 14th Mar 2014, 10:58pm
Post #38

I was born in Thistle Street in 1960. My mum and dad came over from Ireland. Would need to ask her what number We lived at but I remember she said we lived in the close next to the pub. My maiden name was Crawford.

+Quote Post
**Joan**
post 21st Dec 2014, 04:31pm
Post #39

QUOTE (momacq @ 3rd Nov 2005, 11:45am) *
I would love to hear from anyone who can help me find old childhood friends and neighbours.

Thistle St Gorbals.

William Bell.
Samuel Martin.
John Mcewan.
Eddie Connor.
Sonny Best.
Tommy Irvine.
Christine Bradley.

Also from camden st helen flynn attended hollyrood school about 1960.

All the above relate to about 1950 to 1965. My name is Johnny Gallagher born thistle st 1946 left there about 1965 lived at 227 thistle st.

Are you still looking for these people?

I knew Sonny Best, sadly passed away. Sorry.

+Quote Post
*Jim gunn*
post 20th Jul 2015, 08:06am
Post #40

Hi is there, anyone on here remembers James Gunn from Thistle Street in the Gorbals.

+Quote Post
**Anne**
post 31st Aug 2015, 10:12am
Post #41

My family lived at 80 Thistle Street.

I want to visit just to see how they lived.

+Quote Post
**margaret**
post 10th Dec 2015, 09:28pm
Post #42

QUOTE (Guest @ 20th Jun 2009, 10:01am) *
It,s such a down right shame that the gorbals is being wiped out of memory. We lived in 82 and I remember it as a vital and dynamic part of the city Alas such is not the case now. Talk about ethnic cleansing. Glasgow has made a great job of that.

+Quote Post
**rita**
post 12th Apr 2017, 09:23pm
Post #43

in 1960s govan my dad was john swan married to rita who lived 63 abbortsford place govan they had 3 children john rita and alice trying to trace relatives.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.