Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thistle Street Gorbals - Lost Friends, Finding old pals
**Elaine**
post 16th Jan 2010, 08:01pm
Post #16

QUOTE (joan wheatley @ 13th Jan 2010, 07:55pm) *
Hi Elaine
Yes it was tenements. My grandparents lived there. My family all came from Lithuania. My mum was born in 1917 so they probably were there at the same time as your family. I have a very old postcard of Thistle Street showing some shops and people standing outside of them.
Joan

Hi Joan
Thanks for your reply. What a coincidence - my great grandma was Lithuanian - we're not so sure about my great-grandpa as he may have been Ukrainian or Russian. Anyway, my grandma was born in 1910 and so was a little older than your mum - but the families may have known each other, given the Lithuanian connection. I think my great-grandparents moved round the corner to Crown Street in 1916. After that great-grandpa went to the war and never came back. I would love to hear more about the neighbourhood - I hope your mum passed on her memories of her childhood. Sadly my grandma died quite a few years ago, so I never had the chance to ask her more. I think my great grandma had a fish and chip shop at one point and maybe a boarding house but it's all very vague. Cheers. Elaine
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Laura Whiston Hank*
post 2nd Feb 2010, 02:33pm
Post #17

I will be visiting Glasow in October. My father Donald Whiston and Family was born and grew up on Thistle Street. Does anyone remember them. How far is Thistle Street from The Glasgow Thistle Hotel where we will be staying?

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 4th Mar 2010, 03:29am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (Laura Whiston Hank @ 2nd Feb 2010, 06:31am) *
I will be visiting Glasow in October. My father Donald Whiston and Family was born and grew up on Thistle Street. Does anyone remember them. How far is Thistle Street from The Glasgow Thistle Hotel where we will be staying?

Don't know if the old Thistle St is still standing...but the area is about 10 to 15 minute taxi ride from the Thistle Hotel in the City.......cold in October!!!..Brrrr!

+Quote Post
*Edward Kessler*
post 16th Mar 2010, 12:46pm
Post #19

Hi Elain My Dad was from a family that imigrated to Thistle St' in About 1910-15. Our Family name is Kessler. Any Help?

+Quote Post
**Elaine**
post 23rd Mar 2010, 09:09pm
Post #20

QUOTE (wellfield @ 4th Mar 2010, 03:46am) *
Don't know if the old Thistle St is still standing...but the area is about 10 to 15 minute taxi ride from the Thistle Hotel in the City.......cold in October!!!..Brrrr!

Sadly, Thistle Street no longer exists. There is a modern hotel there on the site that I think used to be Thistle Street - but not event a street sign is there anymore. The whole area now has modern flats and a nautical college, so nothing remains of the old buildings. Very sad.

+Quote Post
**Elaine**
post 23rd Mar 2010, 09:27pm
Post #21

QUOTE (Edward Kessler @ 16th Mar 2010, 01:03pm) *
Hi Elain My Dad was from a family that imigrated to Thistle St' in About 1910-15. Our Family name is Kessler. Any Help?

Hi Edward

Thanks for your message. Sadly everyone of my grandma's generation has passed away, so I can't ask if the Kessler name rings bells. But I have the impression that the Thistle Street area at that time was a real melting pot of immigrants and, having visited a few months ago, I can understand why. Given its location close to the Clyde, it must have been a hive of activity back in the day. A pity that none of the original buildings remain. At some point between 1915 and 1929, the Berestovskis family moved across the river to Clyde Street - the end nearest The Briggait (Paddy's Market). At this point they shortened their name to Brest. This has got me wondering if my great-grandfather came from Brest-Litovsk in the Ukraine (now Belarus) and took his name from there. I cannot find any other Berestovskis anywhere in the Scottish records even up to present day. Alas, so many unanswered questions!

Elaine

+Quote Post
*Whiston 4*
post 4th Jun 2010, 02:49pm
Post #22

Could you email me a copy of the picture?

+Quote Post
*alan barclay*
post 16th Aug 2010, 07:04am
Post #23

i was born 1951 at 286 thistle st stayed there for a couple of years and then moved to cally rd where i had a west indian neighbour and then moved to castlemilk, i now live in OZ i was born in a single end and my next door pals were called Leitch

+Quote Post
*maria vesic*
post 15th Sep 2010, 07:12pm
Post #24

Was born at 75 thistle street 1945, moved to Castlemilk in 1954, I remember everything even at nine years old,those days were very innocent although we did not have much then but the people were very special and good, I remember playing in the back with just broken cups as money to play shops, and we had concerts as entertainment, the people all helped each other, I am now in the USA. Florida, and tell my kids about Glasgow,God bless!

P.S. I remember mammy throwing a piece and jam out the window, lol!

+Quote Post
*Nick Carr*
post 9th Dec 2010, 03:55pm
Post #25

Hi,

My great-grandmother was Lithuanian and we think her husband was either Lithuanian or Latvian. They lived at 40 Crown Street and was at 142 Thistle Street in 1953 according to his death certificate. I think the Crown Street address was from 1908 when they married. We believe they came across to Glasgow around 1904-1906 but again not sure.
My great grandmother's name was Magdalene (Maggie) Letuvniku and my great grandfather was Joseph Zarancha. They married in St. Luke's in 1908. Joseph was apparently a coal miner and died in September 1953. Magdalene died in 1966 in East Kilbride.
Does anyone recognise any of these names ? How about any of their children, Jonas (John) b.1909, Alphonsas b.1910, Alice b.1912, Julie b.1915, Annellia b. 1916, Charles b. 1918, Annie b. 1922. Some of the family started using the name Rankin but not sure when this started.
I'd love to hear from anyone who recognises any of these names. My mum is also very keen to learn a little more of the family history. Likewise anyone who has any photos of Crown Street, Thistle Street or Lawmoor Street, I'd be very keen to hear from.

Many thanks
Nick Carr

+Quote Post
*Ronald Gray*
post 20th Jan 2011, 05:46pm
Post #26

My name is Ronald Gray.

I was born 214 Thistle Street on the 11th of January 1950. My sister Joyce was born on the same address in 19th of May 1951. I had two older brothers Gordon and Arthur. My Mothers Name was Sarah and my Father was Thomas.

We moved to Mansewood Glasgow in 1952.

Always interested in getting old photos of our Street, if anyone has any, it would be fantastic to see them.

R.G.

+Quote Post
stevie duffy
post 24th Jan 2011, 09:09pm
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,229
i was born in thistle st.in 1948,my father was a painter and decorator who pushed his barrow around with his paint,sheets ect..my memories of the low down flat in the close of 1room and kitch.outside toilet,was actually playing with rats , there were plenty of them.i also lost my sister,she died of scarlet fever 6years old,her name was anne duffy,father stephen,mother annie and me..we moved to cranhill around 1953ish,i think the boyles also stayed there same time and also moved to cranhill

+Quote Post
John Fitzpatrick
post 29th Jan 2011, 06:29pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,260
Hello All,
My family “Fitzpatrick”, Cousins “McGinley”, Cousins “Turk” All lived in and near 112 Thistle Street From about 1899 through to the 1950s My grandmother Mrs Fitz had the Sweetie shop at 112. Until 1940 then some of us Fitzpatrick moved south. I lost all the family photos in a flood. Including some taken in that area.
Now doing Family Research for my grandchildren I would love to get a scanned copy of photo for Thistle street, I was only 2yr old when we left so only remember the street from the photos we had.

Kind Regards to all,
John.

+Quote Post
mat_glasgow
post 30th Jan 2011, 11:41am
Post #29

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,814
Hi John...Have a look at this site...

Martin......

MEMORIES OF A GORBALS BOY

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 30th Jan 2011, 11:31pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello John

If you go to the 'The Glasgow Story' website, probably via Google, you will get the name of every tenant who lived in Thistle Street in 1913.

Once you get on to this site, scroll down and click on the red writing for the Valuation Roll for 1913-14.

Once you get on to the next page, look for the box 'Where' and type in Thistle Street.

This will open up another page with a list of pages giving the details of the close numbers and the residents. You have to click on 'enlarge view' to be able to read it.

Hope you are succesful in finding your family.

Regards

Danny Harrris

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.