Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thistle Street Gorbals - Lost Friends, Finding old pals
momacq
post 3rd Nov 2005, 11:28am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,572
I would love to hear from anyone who can help me find old childhood friends and neighbours.

Thistle St Gorbals.

William Bell.
Samuel Martin.
John Mcewan.
Eddie Connor.
Sonny Best.
Tommy Irvine.
Christine Bradley.

Also from camden st helen flynn attended hollyrood school about 1960.

All the above relate to about 1950 to 1965. My name is Johnny Gallagher born thistle st 1946 left there about 1965 lived at 227 thistle st.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rose d
post 10th Nov 2005, 02:04am
Post #2

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,237
hi johnny
sorry i dont know any you friends but i was also born in 217 thistle st (darroch) have 2 younger brothers born 1944-1946 my mum worked in reids the bakers in cumberland st and at night in kanns chip shop betwean thistle st and crown st we moved in 1948 to househillwood but mum still worked in the chip shop until late 1950s sorry welcome aboard hope you find your pals

+Quote Post
andypiscesagain
post 25th Nov 2005, 02:44am
Post #3

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,620
Hello you thistle st folks. I can never remember if my buddy " James Brady".. lived on thistle st or hospital st. If his name rings a bell and you know of his whereabouts i would love to know. He and I worked together installing lifts way back in the early 60s. Lost touch when i came to canada but would love to catch up with him again. Thanks .....andy

+Quote Post
*Steve Birrell*
post 27th Jul 2008, 09:12pm
Post #4

Hi
I was born in a room and kitchen at 125 thistle street in 1958
We had a big family mostly at Gorbals cross ballater street

+Quote Post
*Colin Portsmouth*
post 29th Aug 2008, 07:31am
Post #5

To Steve Birrell, from Colin Portsmouth.
As you were born at 125 Thistle Street, did you know a Samuel Patrick Young,who lived there until his death in 1963.
He was my 1st cousin, and I am keen to learn more about his life.
e.mail: colin@omnis4.plus.com

+Quote Post
*Guest rita **
post 8th Sep 2008, 09:02am
Post #6

hi, can someone please help me with info about thistle st gorbals. My father was born at 292 thistle st in 1911. Is this building still there, if not does someone know what is. I live in australia and am visiting glasgow next year, i would love to be able to stand in the approx. area where this was. Also if anyone knows what type of building this was. All i have is his birth certificate. Many thanks.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 8th Sep 2008, 09:51am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Hi Rita, Welcome to G.G. Thistle Street was tenement buildings, 292 Thistle Street was at the top end. near the "Gushet," and The Wynd Church. All those tenements were demolished in the 1960's. Were part of the old Gorbals. One of my teenage pals lived at 232 .
New Gorbals is very nice, costs a lot of money to own a house there now. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
*Guest rita **
post 11th Sep 2008, 02:43am
Post #8

hi stratson thank you very much for your help. would you mind helping me some more. I dont know what a (Gushet) is. Also did you mean both the gushet and the wynd church have been demolished. If this is the case where would the closest point be for me to stand where 292 thistle st. once was. this info would be much appreciated. rita.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Jun 2009, 09:53am
Post #9

It,s such a down right shame that the gorbals is being wiped out of memory. We lived in 82 and I remember it as a vital and dynamic part of the city Alas such is not the case now. Talk about ethnic cleansing. Glasgow has made a great job of that.

+Quote Post
*dominic shannon*
post 16th Nov 2009, 10:26pm
Post #10

hi my family name is shannon my father was born 1939 thistle st i think he lived with is granny my dad name is francis they moved to buddon street parkhead dose anyone know my family

+Quote Post
Skyeman
post 9th Jan 2010, 04:45pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,686
Hi All, My family name is Hepburn and I lived at 266 Thistle St. and attended Camden St. school. Left around 1957 and moved to Arden. Later attended Shawlands 1960's

+Quote Post
**Elaine**
post 10th Jan 2010, 09:43pm
Post #12

QUOTE (Guest @ 20th Jun 2009, 09:51am) *
It,s such a down right shame that the gorbals is being wiped out of memory. We lived in 82 and I remember it as a vital and dynamic part of the city Alas such is not the case now. Talk about ethnic cleansing. Glasgow has made a great job of that.

+Quote Post
**Elaine**
post 10th Jan 2010, 09:48pm
Post #13

QUOTE (Guest @ 20th Jun 2009, 09:51am) *

Hiya
I'm researching my family tree and I've traced my great-grandparents to 82 Thistle Street in 1915. They were immigrants from Eastern Europe. Can you tell me what kind of property it was? I'm assuming it was a tenement? In which case, how many rooms in each flat? Has the building been flattened? What was the area like?
Cheers.
Elaine

+Quote Post
joan wheatley
post 13th Jan 2010, 07:57pm
Post #14

Settling In
Member No.: 7,097
QUOTE (*Elaine* @ 10th Jan 2010, 09:46pm) *
Hiya
I'm researching my family tree and I've traced my great-grandparents to 82 Thistle Street in 1915. They were immigrants from Eastern Europe. Can you tell me what kind of property it was? I'm assuming it was a tenement? In which case, how many rooms in each flat? Has the building been flattened? What was the area like?
Cheers.
Elaine

Hi Elaine
Yes it was tenements. My grandparents lived there. My family all came from Lithuania. My mum was born in 1917 so they probably were there at the same time as your family. I have a very old postcard of Thistle Street showing some shops and people standing outside of them.
Joan

+Quote Post
evagard
post 13th Jan 2010, 08:02pm
Post #15

Visitor
Member No.: 6,514
Hiya

Anyone out there ever stayed at 295 Thistle Street?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.