Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Castlemilk, the good ole days
Teeny
post 30th Sep 2005, 01:00pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 37
Hi Keelie

I lived in Machrie Road, just off C'milk Drive.

Remember the wee shops well, my parents still live in Castlemilk in one of the new houses as their house was demolished.

I was in the same class as Andy Ashcroft and Carol Johnston at Braeside Primary. I also knew a Welsh and Waters, but can't recall their first names, gettin' auld laugh.gif

Cheers - Teeny
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marina
post 1st Oct 2005, 11:05am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
tenny i had a susan welsh in my class at braeside

--------------------
Slāinte mhor a h-uile lā a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
keelie gal'
post 2nd Oct 2005, 02:02pm
Post #18

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,406
hi marina aye i remember the camerons and the crebars aswell and the jones family and thomas rainy the big tall fella wi the runny nose i remember brenda and sandra tees aswell and the hunters but i remember sandra hunter she would have been the older sister i think biggrin.gif

--------------------
keelie gal'

+Quote Post
marina
post 2nd Oct 2005, 03:30pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
aye thats right, ive remembered bettys surname its green

--------------------

+Quote Post
keelie gal'
post 4th Oct 2005, 09:51pm
Post #20

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,406
thanks marina wink.gif i do remember betty and it brings back some good ole memories

--------------------
keelie gal'

+Quote Post
Charli
post 28th Oct 2006, 09:25am
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,199
QUOTE (keelie gal' @ 29th Sep 2005, 11:53 PM)
i remember the castlemilk shops and can remember every shop keeper too my gran used to work in the centra shop on that wee row of shops ye had the newsagents then the butchers then the centra shop then ya had saunders hardwear shop then the chemist shop does anyone remember the harpers the welsh's 'taggarts 'molloys 'mackays 'the waters' and the sinclairs the mansons .the rieds.the mcleans mrs mooney the ashcrofts and the johnsons nancy young .joe porter all from machrie drive in the 60,s n 70,s and castlemilk house was in ruins when i was there we had many a fun time when weans could be weans in them days roaming the streets when everyone felt safe and everyone knew each other and looked oot for each others weans the pond the bridge and the waterfall fall bluebell woods behind castle house before it was demolished summers were braw ther the mammies used to come oot n play wi us weans in all sort of street games wi the neebours taking it in turns to make the tea whilt the men went tae rutherglen fer ther pints and games o dominoes ie the glen bar is one i remember my wee da used and ye always knew ya stairs in the close were clean as the wummin took it in turns .....mind the smell o bleach or distenfentant when the stairs were just washed ooor close i remember 63 machrie drive even had nets on the landin windaes and noone even thought tae lock there doors ...ochhhhh gone are the days noo i know wit my wee gran told me aboot the gool ole days.. wub.gif

I was just going thru some of these posts.... and although theyre quite old now.... I know you guys are all still regulars here.

The Welshs in Machrie Drive were my lot.... I think it was Jimmy that lived there. His parents lived Camden St - but had died by '61. If anyone can remember a bit, let me know please as I'm coming up to Glasgow next week to do some research at the Mitchell. Relations are the Goffs, the Halligans and of course The Welsh's. Mostly from the Milk arrea. My nana Rose worked aat the Marlboro hotel? Glen Hotel and the icerink tea shop at crossmoor?(croftmoor?)
My grandad Bill worked at the Britannia? pub for a few pints after a hard day grafting at the shipyards:-)
Any excuse not to buy a pint eh??
Hope everybody is well, you certainly have fun.
Regards smile.gif

+Quote Post
marina
post 28th Oct 2006, 11:45am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
hi charli, i went to school with a susan welsh she would be 36 now, and there was an ice rink at crossmyloof its now a morrisons good luck in your research

angela i knew ellen hart and her son scott

--------------------

+Quote Post
marzanne
post 28th Oct 2006, 08:22pm
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,941
I remember the bluebell wood an a' and gettin chased by sally pickles and her gang. I remember Mason's fruiterers and my mammy buyin' us oranges for wir christmas stockin's and gaun tae the laundry wi' a' the other mammies and them havin a good gossip while us weans messed aboot gettin in the way.

My Da (we lived in Dougrie Drive) bought a second hand zephyr it was his first car he was 42.

I wonder where a' thae people are now?

Thanks keely girl for the memories.

+Quote Post
lexi
post 27th Nov 2006, 07:42pm
Post #24

Settling In
Member No.: 4,091
Amazing to hear of all the talk from you ladies about the shoaps at Machrie . I remember when the two main shops were in competition with each other. You had the Co-op and next to it Cochranes. They were like wee supermarkets. Saunders was a funny wee shop. Run by a wee Jewish couple they sold all sorts of stuff. It was as if the shop had no Theme. They had a boy who got onto Hughie Greens talent show in the sixties..........talk of the steamie seeng him on the telly. It was kind of unreal in those days to see someone you knew on the box.
The big newsagents at the end was always the best as it sold the quality sweets. Chemist at the other end with the obligatory weighing machine outside........which you only ever put a penny in if you were flush from a bung and then thought ..bugger I.could have bought two caramels with that.The chip shop opened later and it was a Godsend. Freezing winters meant chips to warm you up when you had the spare. My mum and her pal did the tatties during the day. I have lots more stories etc like you all.

Cheers Alex

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 12th Jan 2008, 10:08pm
Post #25

QUOTE (marina @ 30th Sep 2005, 11:18 AM) *
i knew a scott hart from castlemilk, his mums name was ellen

i lived up the next close to the dowling family, next to them was the camerons (their dad was a train driver) then next to them was the crebars jaqueline, karen and caroline and thomas rainy lived round the corner (he was dead tall and always had a runny nose)

+Quote Post
*Guest carol **
post 15th Jan 2008, 01:19am
Post #26

Anyone remember the strain that was my family lived in marchie above the shops beside the betting shop my nana lived there many years and had 6 children

+Quote Post
auchenshuggle
post 19th Feb 2008, 08:41pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,409
hiya all. i remember coming to "the milk" from the gallowgate when i was about 5. we used to stay in the sarry heid buildings, where the wifies would watch the weans playing while sitting on sentry duty at each end of the back to keep anybody that didni belang there oot. watching all the drunks coming oot the sarry heid and going ower tae the barras fur the jigging. anyway we moved upto castlemilk and landed in downcraig road number 39. i went to netherton primary, old mrs kirkland the headie, the old witch. we used to cut through the woods at the side of st maggys to cross the carmunnock rd to get to school, if you were brave enough to not get caught by old skelly eyes. (the bogey man) i remember when they were building the "new houses" at ardencraig crescent, that was a big playground for the weans, and some adults. after downcraig we went to glenacre drive, then onto glenwood secondary, where they succeeded in making me even mare stupider, still it kept them happy. dogging it to go swimming helped take the edge off it but, in the front gate and oot the back gate and up the ressys fur a swim, get a number 14 bus ootside the school up tae the terminus cut through the farm to carmunnock and up the lane towards east kilbride and into the reserviors for s swim . great fun. another trip fur swimming was waterfoot, that was like the canterbury tales when we done that trip. andersons hole in busby was quite good annaw. we left the milk and moved to e.k., then i moved doon to london where ive been for 28 years.

--------------------
i saw a coo upon a hill its no there noo it mustve vanished.

+Quote Post
auchenshuggle
post 19th Feb 2008, 08:49pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,409
QUOTE (marzanne @ 28th Oct 2006, 08:29 PM) *
I remember the bluebell wood an a' and gettin chased by sally pickles and her gang. I remember Mason's fruiterers and my mammy buyin' us oranges for wir christmas stockin's and gaun tae the laundry wi' a' the other mammies and them havin a good gossip while us weans messed aboot gettin in the way.

My Da (we lived in Dougrie Drive) bought a second hand zephyr it was his first car he was 42.

I wonder where a' thae people are now?

Thanks keely girl for the memories.

sally pickles theres a name from the past, i remember getting belted stupid by mr campbell the p.e. teacher for no dancing with her, we had a big stooshie ower that had ma maw up to gie him laldie.

--------------------
i saw a coo upon a hill its no there noo it mustve vanished.

+Quote Post
wee tricia
post 20th Apr 2008, 09:34am
Post #29

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,017
Hi Keelie, I remeber the Water's from Machrie my brother was best man at Nancy's wedding and godfather to her frst baby. He is still in touch as she married his best friend and they now live in croftfoot.

+Quote Post
*JJ*
post 24th May 2008, 12:00am
Post #30

Do any of you remember the Delargy's from Castlemilk? The lived on Dougrie - there wiz loads of them - Josephine, John, Peter, Elizabeth, Teresa, Avril and Stephen I think. They left about 1979 to move to the New Town in Cumbernauld?

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.