Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phoenix Park Terrace, Born there and lived there
*Guest*
post 18th Apr 2010, 10:35pm
Post #31

Gosh, how fantastic this is. My grandparents, William & Catherine Skilling, lived at 39 Phoenix Park Terrace in the 1901 census; they married while at 12 Northburn St and before that thethe family was in 134 West Graham St. Ring any bells with anybody?

gordon

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leckie
post 23rd Apr 2010, 09:05pm
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,755
Andy Allan was correct that is a blue ford consul of about 1955/56 on the far right. the original photo is in poor quality colour and looks better in black and white.

This photo was taken in the back court at No 26 Phoenix Park terrace.
The close No 32 is on the left, with the "lucky?" midden and the high railing on the canal bank on thr right.

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 24th Apr 2010, 07:06am
Post #33

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi leckie (Dan)

Have you any names for the people in the backcourt, I remember the fire brigade had to come out to get my head out from the railings at the girls backs must have been around 1950 of so. If you have any more pics keep them coming I have been sending them to my wee sister Mary in Tazmania she loves and told me to tell you thanks for the memories. Dan the old gent in the pic with the kids outside 14 do you remamber his name I think he lived up 32 but can't remember his name.

Thanks again mate Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 24th Apr 2010, 08:24am
Post #34

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,576
the big van on the left in that close bottom right lived a guy called stuart or stewart his wife was called may and son ronnie they had relations from cedar place the guy worked for the AA his motorbike sat outside the close anybody remember cheers c/b photo of pheonix pub.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Java
post 24th Apr 2010, 09:14am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Sorry to butt in, I've no connection here, but had to say the photies are great biggrin.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 24th Apr 2010, 07:17pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
ceader bhoy wee davie gow jim graham myself used to play dominos in the pub cheers jw

+Quote Post
leckie
post 25th Apr 2010, 05:23pm
Post #37

Unpacking
Hi Hudggy (Robert). I'm sorry But I dont know the Old Gent in the photo, The shot was taken in about 1963 when I was passing, I left the terrace in 1954.

The names of the two girls in the photo you asked about are Margaret Young on the left and Nancy Harris. Both cousins of mine.

The railings in the back court always puzzled me since half had been removed and the other half left in situ. At the start of WW2 most railings were removed to aid the war effort, perhaps the workers forgot where they had left off or could not be bothered to finish the job. Now I will never know.

The picture below shows the canal bridge at the top of Ann Street looking south over the City, Phoenix Park Terrace can be seen on the right behind the Bridgekeeper's (Bob Mc coll) hut. The tower of the Normal school can be seen through the ever present haze. The Bollards on either side of the bridge were to give protection from heavily loaded horsedrawn wagons etc;

The photo below is taken from the south side and shows the steel bollard to the left of the bridge which was of hollow steel. Which the local kids painted to give a nice effect. The brothers John and William mooney are shown, John being the elder. they stayed at No38 Phoenix Pk terr;.
Hay's shipping office is behind them .

I hope you like the photo's

+Quote Post
notaneastender
post 26th Apr 2010, 12:04am
Post #38

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,296
You do all digress even if the photies aren't half bad but to ansewr isa would be great so does anyone remeber Dorothy and Joe Patrick of number 15 arond 1962?

+Quote Post
leckie
post 26th Apr 2010, 09:30am
Post #39

Unpacking
I am a bit puzzled by not an eastenders comment about digression. perhaps it would help if he explained the topic to which we should adhere. Hopefully Isa will recieve a reply to her request for information, I would certainly help if I could.
I would think the lack of response to the original thread would be self explanatory, but then perhaps a new thread should be started. I wonder what we could call it?.

Dan

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 26th Apr 2010, 03:34pm
Post #40

Lord Provost
As for helping Isa I believe I went to the Mitchel one day and got the electoral roll for the year she is enquireing about. But since the info was people that were still living I sent her a PM and also gave her how to find out who the police officer was who dealt with her at the time she is looking at.
So therefore using the heading about Phoenix Park Terrace is not diverting from anything.

Hudggy

--------------------

+Quote Post
macatuni
post 20th Nov 2010, 01:51am
Post #41

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,248
Hi Andy Allan and all other Phoenix residents. The picture of Dobbies Loan brought back memories for me. My name is Dorothy Watson. I was born in Govan in'57 and shortly afterwards, brought up at 552 Dobbies Loan, next door to the dairy and lived on the top floor in a single end. I was the second eldest of eight children; four sisters and three brothers;James, me, Gary, Shirley, Heather, William, Tracy, and Yvette was born the year before the January storm of '68.
When the storm damaged the roof, we were decanted to Stornoway Street, Milton. Jamie and I played with the Buchanan boys from the Terrace. My pal was Margaret Craig who had a brother called Maurice. Other friends were Hanif Myer; Mary and Marion Main (twins: I know that Mary died around 1990+); all from the Terrace; Anyone know where they are now? We all attended Dundas Vale school, then when it closed we were moved to Milton Street primary school where our Headmistress, Mrs Nicholson also moved with us - suffice to say we did not like her!
I do not have rose-tinted glasses about the poverty of the times but there is always something to be salvaged from the time for memories' sake.

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 25th May 2012, 08:22pm
Post #42

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
QUOTE (leckie @ 1st Feb 2010, 10:28pm) *
Hi Phil, I stayed at 26 Phoenix park terrace and remember the docherty's at 38. I remember Phil best ( your brother?) but don't remember the names of the rest of the family except Doc ( as my father called him), He played the dulcimer and was a big hit at the end of the war when he played to the people dancing in the street and on top of the air raid shelters. I believe the Moonies and the kelly's stayed in the close 38.
Phil Divers stayed in the close at 32 opposit the McInally's, Jim McInally was a pal of mine.

I believe robert Carrigan stayed in the close at no 14 opposite the wallaces, Harry Wallace must have been off about the same age. Roberts mother used to sing with the back window raised so that the baby in the pram just outside the window could hear and lay there quite happy or sleeping, which wasnt surprising as she was good singer.

I do have some photo's of the terrace and the shops in dobbies loan and will post them when/if I can find them.

hi leckie was the kelly's who lived at 38 phoenix park terrace william and violet if so willie was my dads brother. was phoenix park terrace right up that big hill. i can remember going to visit ,was there a fire station up there or is it my imagination.

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 26th May 2012, 07:46am
Post #43

Lord Provost
Cathy52,

It was near the top of Ann Street there was no fire station but the Leckie (Electricity Board) was at the end of the Terrace at the top of Corn st red brick wall with large gates.

Hudggy (Robert Carrigan)

--------------------

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 27th May 2012, 12:44pm
Post #44

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
QUOTE (hudggy @ 26th May 2012, 07:44am) *
Cathy52,

It was near the top of Ann Street there was no fire station but the Leckie (Electricity Board) was at the end of the Terrace at the top of Corn st red brick wall with large gates.

Hudggy (Robert Carrigan)

thanks hudggy for that information the last time i was there was to visit my uncle willie and aunt violet all i can rememer is going up that hill. sadly i dont know where they moved to when they left there. both dead now i suppose. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Melissa
post 17th Jul 2012, 12:28pm
Post #45

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,150
Just to say how good it was to see some photos of the Phoenix Park Terrace area. My father was born at no.14 in 1907. His name was Archibald Donald, same as his father, and his mother was Jeanie née Johnson. I have tried to trace his mothers side of the family with no luck. I understand she died leaving three children, (my dad plus two girls, Elizabeth and Flora)., but I can't find any record of her. Her husband took the children and emigrated to Canada in 1911. Would love to discover any relatives in Scotland.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.