Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phoenix Park Terrace, Born there and lived there
phil doherty
post 7th Dec 2008, 07:30pm
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,280
Hi my name is Philomena Doherty, i was born at 38 phoenix park terrace which was my grannies house, in 1944 the family name was Divers, mother Nancy my grans first name was Annie. Does anyone remember me/or them or lived in the area at that time. If anyone has any pictures of the street that would be great, as the family left in 1955. hope this all finds you well best regards phil
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 8th Dec 2008, 01:07pm
Post #17

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
hi Phil,

I grew up in 14 Phoenix Park Terrace I remember the name Divers but cannot remember you even though you are a year younger than me. You stayed up the same close as Duncan McPhee they stayed on the top floor. Your close was the second last before the Lecky ( Electricity Board ) how long did you stay in the terrace I was there into the late 1950s my mother died in 1952 then we moved back and forth between my grans in Raglan St and the Terrace depending if my old man was on or off the sauce he took mums death very hard.

Regards Hudggy

Rab Carrigan

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Dec 2008, 08:50pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I lived in Sawfield Place just off the Garscube Road.
One of my older brothers had a friend with the surname Divers, but I can't recall his Christian name.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
leckie
post 1st Feb 2010, 10:30pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,755
Hi Phil, I stayed at 26 Phoenix park terrace and remember the docherty's at 38. I remember Phil best ( your brother?) but don't remember the names of the rest of the family except Doc ( as my father called him), He played the dulcimer and was a big hit at the end of the war when he played to the people dancing in the street and on top of the air raid shelters. I believe the Moonies and the kelly's stayed in the close 38.
Phil Divers stayed in the close at 32 opposit the McInally's, Jim McInally was a pal of mine.

I believe robert Carrigan stayed in the close at no 14 opposite the wallaces, Harry Wallace must have been off about the same age. Roberts mother used to sing with the back window raised so that the baby in the pram just outside the window could hear and lay there quite happy or sleeping, which wasnt surprising as she was good singer.

I do have some photo's of the terrace and the shops in dobbies loan and will post them when/if I can find them.

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 2nd Feb 2010, 01:01am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
phoenix park

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
leckie
post 8th Feb 2010, 08:31pm
Post #21

Unpacking
Photos of: Ann street with Phoenix Park Terrace on the right; the Terrace with Thompson's "wee shop" sign on the right; and the shops on Dobbies Loan. Plummers,Dairy, Nelly's chip shop, millers fruit shop here:Photobucket

I will look or more photo's Dan Harris

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 10th Feb 2010, 10:30am
Post #22

Lord Provost
Hi leckie,

The kids in Phoenix Park Terrace are outside number 14 where I lived. Dan I cannot remember you but feel that I should you stayed at 26 how many up did you live. My uncle Sammy used to stay 32 but that was in the in the 50s. Are you older than me or did we ever hang about the terrace as kids.

Hudggy Robert Carrigan

--------------------

+Quote Post
leckie
post 10th Feb 2010, 12:01pm
Post #23

Unpacking
Hi Hudggy,
Thanks for your reply , I stayed in the single end, three up at No 26 with my parents and brother Billy and am 74 years young at present and now stay in Chryston, You would have been only about Four when your parents bought you a big furry grey rabbit, and since I had a white rabbit I agreed to keep them together in a hutch in the back court (Too smelly and no space in the house). Unfortunately they did not survive a really bad winter, The rabbits, your mother singing and your dad's accident are the main reasons I remember you. I doubt if you will recall having the rabbit?.
Thompsons shop was taken over by Bill Gooding in the early fifties.
Did your uncle sammy have any family?, If so I should remember them.I remember the Munro and Headridge,s staying in the close at No32.

KEEP WELL! Dan Harris

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 10th Feb 2010, 03:29pm
Post #24

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,576
QUOTE (samscott @ 12th Mar 2006, 02:16pm) *
heelo. My Sister Mary Kerr lived in the Terrace . she now lives in Easterhouse. She moved there when she got married, before that she lived with us in Cedar Place.

sam, john callaghan her fay cedar st nice to hear your still with us,can remember mary when she lived in the terrace,john davies my old mate that lived next door from you died 4 years ago.lots of good memorys of you let me know how you are getting on cheers (cally )

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 11th Feb 2010, 08:10am
Post #25

Lord Provost
Hi leckie,

I have little or no recollection of the rabbit except for it being mentioned by my Dad. I believe Mr Hedrige stay in the close at 20 through the wall from us. His son Colin joined the Royal Navy and fell of his ship in port and was crushed to death. I remember Colin as he and his dad gave me my greatest pet I ever had Micky my dog that dragged me from our close along the snow to the airaid shelter in the street by my scarf with my mum and dad laughing at me from our window. The year the rabbit died would have been 1947 that winter sticks out in my mind remember sledging down Ann St on the slede my dad made in the shipyard for me. Also there were Munros on the 2nd floor of our close 14 Hugh, John, Peggy and Ann may have been another brother.
Keep well Hudggy Robert

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 11th Feb 2010, 09:03am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
Great snaps Leckie, here's a few more of the area.

Le durachd,

Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
**rumour6**
post 1st Apr 2010, 10:49pm
Post #27

Hi all just found this site... the picture of the terrace... I'm sure shows our car ( a Blue Ford Consul) out side No 32. My name (as was my dad: he drove for John Barrie the hauliers and the vans were often parked outside No 32) is Andy Allan (mum Helen: her mum (Jeanie Rowley) stayed in Crossburn St just down from Stans shop use dto work part time in teh shop at the end of the street), I stayed from birth '57 to '69 when we moved to Knightswood, at the time (we were top right) the Conroys were next door, my dads mum Alice Ure lived one down and her brother Andrew Ure (electrician in the yards until an industrial accident) stayed in the single end one down. We mostly hung around with Alan and Victor Waltham (mun and dad being Victor and Shiela: couple of closes nearer the Lecky) and the Buchanans who stayed at the Ann St end of the terrace, my Aunt Betty (Tighe) stayed opposite us.
Feels kind of odd but nice to be involved...

Andy

+Quote Post
rumour6
post 3rd Apr 2010, 03:01pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,350
Hi all, my name is Andy Allan (same as my dad, I was born in '57 and we moved in '67 just before it was demolished, my mum Helen worked part time in teh wee shop for a while) he drove for John Barries and the van was often in the street outside No 32; we were top right, the Conroys were opposite, my Gran Alice Ure stayed below and her brother Andrew Ure was in the single end, I'm sure the pic of the terrace shows our old Ford Consul..(light blue for those watching in black and white). I was pally with the Walthams (parents Shiela and Victor: a couple of closes nearer the leckie than us) and the Buchanans (rounded gable end at Ann street). unfortunately I've no pix of the street but would love to see any more. What a great find this has been.

Andy

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 3rd Apr 2010, 08:38pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
a few more ann st and dobbies loan

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
isa
post 3rd Apr 2010, 08:40pm
Post #30

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
hya, i was born in feb, 62, i was born in number 15, does anyone remember me, my mother was dorothy and father was joe patrick, we apparently lived on the top floor, does snyone remember us?
isa

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.