Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Townhead 1940's To 1960's , Do you remember me?
Rating 3 V
MissT
post 6th May 2011, 06:13am
Post #16

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,318
I was born in 1953 and lived on Roystonhill Townhead, went to St Rollox School until 61 when shipped off to Quarriers homes after mother died
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 6th May 2011, 10:24am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (RobBob @ 27th Mar 2011, 10:02pm) *
Here is an interesting coincidence....My great great great grandfather, James Carswell, Wright and Builder in Glasgow lived at no. 10 Canning Place in 1851 at the age of 80. I am guessing that he originally built the house. He lived there with a widowed daughter, an unmarried daughter and an unmarried son. I would be moswt interest to learn what happened to 10 Canning Place after the 1950s as I cannot seem to find it on the google maps. Can anyone help me.
RobBob
Toronto

Canning Place still exists but not in its original form. The Canning Place I know is a wee lane that runs from Cathedral Street to St James Road, Between what was Allan Glens and Collins. Should be able to pick it taking a ride doon Cathedral Street on Google Street map.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
kitnian
post 14th May 2011, 10:42am
Post #18

Settling In
Member No.: 10,822
Hi Patsy born in 1948 at the Rotttenrow Hospital and lived at 103 Kennedy street. went to Kennedy street primary and then on to city Public and left scotland for England 1963 Knew Helen Mc Keever and Marian Kane who went to Charlotte Street in1960 they also lived in Kennedy Street 103 across the street from the garage where the Ribble Buses parked and Glebe street was the nearest road the Argyle Arms was the nearest pub
Cheers Kitty Knight
Email Kitnain48@bigpond.com
Have now lived In Western Australia for 42 years

+Quote Post
kitnian
post 24th May 2011, 07:45am
Post #19

Settling In
Member No.: 10,822
Dear Patsy,
Did you work at Gizzi s in the 60 s my moms name was milly and my sister s was Megan they worked there and I also did but you left soon after I started I worked after school and Saturdays
our surname was Knight

+Quote Post
lesley brown
post 24th May 2011, 08:12am
Post #20

Visitor
Member No.: 10,927
My family lived most of their days in Toonheid. They were the Maxwells. Matt and his 3 sisters Marion Cathy and Mary. All married and lived in Toonheid apart from Cathy who moved to Liverpool. We stayed in Parson Strret next to the green door if anyone knows what i'm talking about. Stayed there untill our building was condemned and then moved to the new Toonheid. I had great memories of being brought up in a tenement especially in the Toon. We used to go up Sauchie down Buchie and alang Argyle. (Another wee Glesga saying). They were the good auld days.

--------------------
Marriage is a wonderful invention but then again so is a bicycle repair kit.

+Quote Post
*tommy short*
post 17th Nov 2011, 02:26pm
Post #21

i went to st rochs left in 1956 ,worked as a bookies runner for john smith the bookie in parson street,used to hang about gizzies in parley rd, was born in hartfield st then moved to blackhill,live down in yorkshire now

+Quote Post
roxyanne
post 18th Dec 2011, 04:06am
Post #22

Settling In
Member No.: 9,283
i lived at 64 parson st from 1947 till it was pulled down family name was hampson it was my granmothers house and grandad but my father got house when both died so it had been in family for a very long time my friends at time were betty gallacher and margaret halligen and betty miller helen cairns went to st mungos school in stanhope st then st rochs i had a siser mary and brother mark who was blind also sister violet and brother peter my uncle lived in the funeral parlour in gleebe st with his wife and two children had an aunt mary paul who lived in mcauslin st and i had frind anne pitt who also lived there would love to here from anyone who remembers me my name was alice hampson then used to play in the greener back in st mungos st

+Quote Post
roxyanne
post 18th Dec 2011, 04:06am
Post #23

Settling In
Member No.: 9,283
i lived at 64 parson st from 1947 till it was pulled down family name was hampson it was my granmothers house and grandad but my father got house when both died so it had been in family for a very long time my friends at time were betty gallacher and margaret halligen and betty miller helen cairns went to st mungos school in stanhope st then st rochs i had a siser mary and brother mark who was blind also sister violet and brother peter my uncle lived in the funeral parlour in gleebe st with his wife and two children had an aunt mary paul who lived in mcauslin st and i had frind anne pitt who also lived there would love to here from anyone who remembers me my name was alice hampson then used to play in the greener back in st mungos st

+Quote Post
garden04
post 22nd Dec 2011, 11:41am
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,262
You must have been in my class at school then Andy, those names bring back loads of memories.
What about Joe Kelly, Andy Kirwan, Leo Dodds, Stanislaw Czajkowski and Miss Smith.[/quote]

Hi,
My name is Tom Kirwan not Andy and I was in the same class in St Mungo's Primary and
the Acadamy as Leo Dodds,Stanislaw Czajkowski, Billy Shaw an many others - Miss Smith was our teacher in the Primary School I went to prep in St Rochs Primary School Royston Road('64), then onto Duke Street('65), Kennedy Street'66-'68) and finally Barony Street.('68-'69)
If my memory hasn't faled me I think Leo went on to study Law, I met up again with Billy Shaw
in the early 70's when we started attending football matches, but have now lost touch with all as
I moved to Ireland in '73.
I lived in Garden Street, Townhead opposite the Townhead Baths.

Stumbling accross these pages the names just pop out at me

Cheers Tom K

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 24th Dec 2011, 11:11am
Post #25

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
Roxyanne did the Betty Miller you knew live in Glebe St?

+Quote Post
klingon
post 26th Dec 2011, 02:40pm
Post #26

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (zascot @ 3rd Aug 2010, 08:57am) *
I`m another one born in Toonheid. I was born in 48 in Kyle Street and also started school at St. Mungo`s primary before moving to the country (Ruchazie ) in around 55 when they knocked Kyle Street down. I checked on Google maps to see if maybe they had put a wee plaque up wi ma name on it but maybe I wiz no that famous, it`s now a printers with a BMW showroom next door.If that showroom had been there when the houses were there then there would have been a lot of knocked off Beamers in Kyle Street lol.

Jeeze a Kylie!-I was born in Couper st (36) and my maw warned us not to go near Kyle St as the Kylies were all mental cases!-we went all upmarket and moved to a big flat in Parly rd-(214) then emigrated to Johnstone in the early 60's as part of the Glasgow overspill,the hoose we moved to was that wee compared to the big victorian flat we had in toonheid my maw had to toss oot half the furniture!-her wardrobe widnae even go through the front door! biggrin.gif

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
klingon
post 26th Dec 2011, 02:58pm
Post #27

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (ionnsaigh @ 15th Feb 2011, 11:00am) *
You must have been in my class at school then Andy, those names bring back loads of memories.
What about Joe Kelly, Andy Kirwan, Leo Dodds, Stanislaw Czajkowski and Miss Smith.

Joe Kelly's da wiz a paper seller nicknamed "auld plum" by Joe and his brothers-of which there were plenty! I seem to remember Miss Smith belting Joe across the face for refusing the belt and his brothers appearing 10 minutes later to sort her out with a big barking Alsatian dug!-Stan Czaykorkski-(remember the spellin after hearin it 500 times!) was always being asked if he was ok as he was the palest faced boy I ever met!-I was always in competition with Leo Dodds to be first in the class-one year it was him,then next it was me!-Miss Smith?-greetin faced auld psycho of a wumman!-also Ian Kent,Eric Clark,Hughie Brolly, Tommy McCourt,Pete Handibode,Marcus Smythe,John Clark,Michael Donohoe,Paddy Stewart,Billy Shaw,-and thats just a few from my recollection!-remember just before leaving St Mungos to move to Johnstone my teacher was a Mr Quinn-after the school holidays I went to St Davids primary in Johnston and my teacher was?-Mr Quinn!-he got a new hoose in Johnstone as well!-Still remember some of the teachers names-Mr Milton,an ancient auld music teacher called "Mr Sheepshanks"-Miss Mc Bride,and Brother Wilfrid who bore an uncanny resemblance to Boris Karloff!-(Think he was the headmaster!) laugh.gif

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Dec 2011, 06:46am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (klingon @ 26th Dec 2011, 02:59pm) *
Jeeze a Kylie!-I was born in Couper st (36) and my maw warned us not to go near Kyle St as the Kylies were all mental cases!-we went all upmarket and moved to a big flat in Parly rd-(214) then emigrated to Johnstone in the early 60's as part of the Glasgow overspill,the hoose we moved to was that wee compared to the big victorian flat we had in toonheid my maw had to toss oot half the furniture!-her wardrobe widnae even go through the front door! biggrin.gif

Hi Klingon
Like Zascot I also lived in Kyle st we played together until he moved socially downhill by moving to Ruchazie. laugh.gif
The one thing I remember about the rivalry between Kyle st and Couper st was a couple of street fights organised to sooth the egos of who knows who? when every wean in both streets was dragged out to defend the honour? of the respective streets, one of the fights we managed to invade Couper st as far down as the stables before being chased with our tails between our legs back up the hill to Kyle st. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
zascot
post 28th Dec 2011, 09:03am
Post #29

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Aye Dave yer right but if you go to Kyle Street today you will see a big plaque that proclaims " Zascot was born here" or was that jist a dream. Anyway all the best over the festive season from the ex toonheidies in South Africa.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 29th Dec 2011, 06:35pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Here is a wee bit of reading history regarding the development of the now defunct Pinkston Power Station.

The article is dated from May 20, 1947.

Attached Image

They were well out with the proposed height of the cooling tower it was near 360 feet when completed, not 260 feet!

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.