Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Townhead 1940's To 1960's , Do you remember me?
Rating 3 V
*patsy doyle*
post 2nd Jul 2010, 08:12am
Post #1

Is there anyone out there from Townhead/ ie. Montrose Street - and all the streets around it - from John St. to the end of Cathedral St. then from Mc Auslin Street to the bottom of High Street along George Street to John Street If you are from this area and lived there in 1940,s thru. 50,s 60,s and 70,s I Patsy Doyle of 113 Montrose Street.

Would like to get in touch here....

P.S. I enjoyed the topic in GGs "30's thru 70's very much brought back great memories.

Good Luck and God Bless u all.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 4th Jul 2010, 09:41am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
Dear patsy
i was born in townhead actually .At number 90 parliamentary Road .In my grannys house I spent a lot of my youth there as my cousins lived in the 'pen close' number 92.
Names were Vioncent and Francis (Vincy and Francy )
wouls love to hear from you
Tommy Mc Sorley

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
*patsy doyle*
post 4th Jul 2010, 06:04pm
Post #3

Vinny,
I`m so glad to hear from someone from Townhead i`m one of the Doyle`s from 113 Montrose St .I was born in Maryhill my parents then moved to Montrose st early 1940s. My first memories of Townhead started to mature as i started school 1943 when i was 4yrs old St. Mungo`s Stan-hope St. then St Mungo`s Glebe St. 1947 till 1952 then St Roch`s Royston Rd. left in 55 to go out into the wide wide world. Here is my email patjohndoyle@yahoo.co.uk i hope to hear from you soon.

Your`s Sincerely Pat Doyle

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 4th Jul 2010, 06:08pm
Post #4

sorry Tommy i called you Vinny

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 5th Jul 2010, 06:17pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
No problem Pat.
i have been called much worse. I moved to Cwcaddens in the 30's.Crossburn street
Lost my leg in the army in 1948 when i was blown up by a land mine in ITALY.
If you like my e mail is ,,,, tmcs26@hotmail.co.uk

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
*tam murphy*
post 16th Jul 2010, 06:05pm
Post #6

i was born in 1947 at 10 tarbet st my father was dan my mother margaret cartwright all there familys lived around the rottenrow
:rolleyes:

+Quote Post
betty2
post 23rd Jul 2010, 05:03am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
hi Patsy and welcome, not from your area , I.m an eastender, but I had a pal from school {charlotte st} who lived T NO 10 Canning place off cathedral st . This was in the early 50,s. After leaving school in 1954 I lost touch, But I knew the district well have happy memories from that time

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
charles gillan
post 2nd Aug 2010, 04:19pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,694
my name is charlie gillan i lived at 37 stanhope st townhead st i also went to st mungos stanhope st and glebe st and also st rochs i left school in 1955 its always good to hear about townhead would like to hear from anybody who may kknow me take care

+Quote Post
zascot
post 3rd Aug 2010, 09:38am
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
I`m another one born in Toonheid. I was born in 48 in Kyle Street and also started school at St. Mungo`s primary before moving to the country (Ruchazie ) in around 55 when they knocked Kyle Street down. I checked on Google maps to see if maybe they had put a wee plaque up wi ma name on it but maybe I wiz no that famous, it`s now a printers with a BMW showroom next door.If that showroom had been there when the houses were there then there would have been a lot of knocked off Beamers in Kyle Street lol.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
*andy wilson*
post 30th Aug 2010, 02:53am
Post #10

Born 1953 in 36 Couper st Townhead,moved roon the corner tae posh big hoose in 214 Parliamentary rd in 1959-went to St Mungos primary then got shanghaied in 1964 to Johnstone Castle as "Glasgow overspill"-hated the place with a vengance and still do! - scuttled back to Toonheid every weekend till they pulled it doon!-lost track of all my pals now-Eric Clark-Hughie Brawley,Ian Blythe,Billy Shaw-hunners of them-all in their late 50's now!-where did all thae years go? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 28th Sep 2010, 11:21am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (zascot @ 3rd Aug 2010, 12:40pm) *
I`m another one born in Toonheid. I was born in 48 in Kyle Street and also started school at St. Mungo`s primary before moving to the country (Ruchazie ) in around 55 when they knocked Kyle Street down. I checked on Google maps to see if maybe they had put a wee plaque up wi ma name on it but maybe I wiz no that famous, it`s now a printers with a BMW showroom next door.If that showroom had been there when the houses were there then there would have been a lot of knocked off Beamers in Kyle Street lol.

just joined the board and happy to see somebody from Kyle st posting, we lived there from 51 to 58 at 35 and then 39 Kyle st, so before you moved away we probably played fitba together roon at wurdies. and took a shortcut to jacks mountain through the mile long tunnel under the cuddies park, wee bit scary when a train belchin smoke came in while you where still walking through.
also live in Joburg maybe we can get together sometime

+Quote Post
*christine knight*
post 21st Nov 2010, 06:52pm
Post #12

QUOTE (betty2 @ 23rd Jul 2010, 04:49am) *
hi Patsy and welcome, not from your area , I.m an eastender, but I had a pal from school {charlotte st} who lived T NO 10 Canning place off cathedral st . This was in the early 50,s. After leaving school in 1954 I lost touch, But I knew the district well have happy memories from that time

Hi Betty2 my grandparents Mr & Mrs McIntyre lived at No16 Canning Place until 1960, when my Grandmother died and also have happy memories from when I visited them as a child of 8 in 1953 and then 14 in 1959. My mother Christina McKintyre lived there as a child. I now live in southern england as my father was english.

+Quote Post
ionnsaigh
post 15th Feb 2011, 11:41am
Post #13

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,122
QUOTE (andy wilson @ 30th Aug 2010, 02:31am) *
Born 1953 in 36 Couper st Townhead,moved roon the corner tae posh big hoose in 214 Parliamentary rd in 1959-went to St Mungos primary then got shanghaied in 1964 to Johnstone Castle as "Glasgow overspill"-hated the place with a vengance and still do! - scuttled back to Toonheid every weekend till they pulled it doon!-lost track of all my pals now-Eric Clark-Hughie Brawley,Ian Blythe,Billy Shaw-hunners of them-all in their late 50's now!-where did all thae years go? ohmy.gif

You must have been in my class at school then Andy, those names bring back loads of memories.
What about Joe Kelly, Andy Kirwan, Leo Dodds, Stanislaw Czajkowski and Miss Smith.

--------------------
The Dear Green Place.

+Quote Post
roxyanne
post 11th Mar 2011, 12:11am
Post #14

Settling In
Member No.: 9,283
QUOTE (ionnsaigh @ 15th Feb 2011, 11:04am) *
You must have been in my class at school then Andy, those names bring back loads of memories.
What about Joe Kelly, Andy Kirwan, Leo Dodds, Stanislaw Czajkowski and Miss Smith.

hi patsy i lived in 64 parson street from 1947 till 1963 went to st mungo;s primary then st roch my friends all lived around townhead betty gallacher betty miller margaret halligan and one of the samson girl cant remember her first name i remember we used to have a gang called the greener gang as their back had grass rolland st james burn;s and his cusion the donnelly;s toni ,sister;s margaret and marie and brother pat and my friend anne pitt she lived in mc auslin st my whole family lived all around that part is you know me let me know please my maiden name is alice hampson thanks

+Quote Post
RobBob
post 27th Mar 2011, 08:54pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,707
QUOTE (betty2 @ 23rd Jul 2010, 04:26am) *

Here is an interesting coincidence....My great great great grandfather, James Carswell, Wright and Builder in Glasgow lived at no. 10 Canning Place in 1851 at the age of 80. I am guessing that he originally built the house. He lived there with a widowed daughter, an unmarried daughter and an unmarried son. I would be moswt interest to learn what happened to 10 Canning Place after the 1950s as I cannot seem to find it on the google maps. Can anyone help me.
RobBob
Toronto

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.