Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Byshot St, Resident
Wee-Sprokit
post 24th Feb 2009, 02:53pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 6,487
[font="Times New Roman"][/font][size="3"][/size]
Hello I used to live at 4, Byshot St from about 1956 untill 1963, my name at the time was McLeish, i came from a big family in fact at that time there were 9 of us weans, my Da's name was Tam and my Ma was Hannah,, it would be great to hear from anyone who know us!! I remember a wee shop accross the St called Pansy's (or thats what we called it hahaha) it was a wee grocers shop and 2 sisters used to run it, Im the 2nd oldest of the weans name of Liz (Elizabeth to my Ma and Da hehe)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
flam
post 24th Feb 2009, 07:09pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Wee-Sprokit. Welcome to the board, I had relatives who stayed around that area many moons ago, there name was Blair,it was around where the steps are, ,would the little shop that you speak about not be Carty,s which was situated at the bottom of Killearn St and the path to Carlyle St..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Wee-Sprokit
post 24th Feb 2009, 08:07pm
Post #3

Settling In
QUOTE (flam @ 24th Feb 2009, 07:56pm) *
Hi Wee-Sprokit. Welcome to the board, I had relatives who stayed around that area many moons ago, there name was Blair,it was around where the steps are, ,would the little shop that you speak about not be Carty,s which was situated at the bottom of Killearn St and the path to Carlyle St..Cheers Flim

[
Hello Flam,,, Thanks for the reply, and yes your right it was Cartys shop, we lived 2 closes away from it, the 2nd close in byshot St, im sorry i cant think of the Blairs that stayed there, like you its been many moons since i lived there, my 1st school was Keppochill School which i woulda went too around 1956/57?? In fact ive a photo from there taken when i was just 5yrs,, maybe i should put in on here to see if anyone remembers themselfs hahaha!
Thanks again Sprokit xxxxxsize="3"][/size]

+Quote Post
davdee
post 12th May 2009, 03:34pm
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 5,738
Hiya sprokit, my names Davy Duncan, I lived at 11 killearn street ,and I remember your da and brother . his namesTam as well??. Tams about my age 56 Ithink. I havent seen Tam since I was about 19 and you were all living around blackhill by then. ....I live in the south of england now ,but still see , some Byshot residents when I visit my bros in glasgow.....do you remember john dryburgh no 2 byshot, rab davis ..no 1 I think, and john haining no 8? ...we all went to kipp school. I remember mrs mclure ,teacher and mrs clark, then there was a teacher called mcdonald who loved to boast she wasnt common and lived in bishopbriggs lol I would love to hear how your Tam is ......or was it Robert, ??? am getting auld and confuzzled .

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 19th May 2009, 10:35am
Post #5

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
Hi All,
Hey Davey, Foxy here. That auld Miss McClure used to travel from Ayr everyday to Kipp School, l remember Mrs MacDonald, to be quite honest l didn't like her at all, snobbish auld b@#$%^. Her husband was an insurance collector, so he would tell her how everyone in her class, how they lived
You might remember this guy, Thomas Melvin? his big brother Robert wrote to me a few months ago, he was telling me that Mrs MacDonald had died, recently, Christ she must have been about a hunner!
Do you remember Miss Black? a wee blonde stoater so she wis, she taught a much younger class though.
Hey Wee McLeish, you never wrote back to me,
Foxy

+Quote Post
davdee
post 28th May 2009, 11:07pm
Post #6

Visitor
hiya Foxy, hope yer keeping better now. I seem to remember the name melvin , cant be sure. I still see the dodwells when i go up,but the place has changed so much i was lost in kipp road near the fire station .......It looks like that end of springburns been stolen tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 29th May 2009, 03:39pm
Post #7

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,576
david duncan/ john callaghan/i lived above you next door to the dowdwells/was drinking with john dowdwell a month ago in the brothers bar,how is tommy getting on and ian emma forget your other sisters name, loved your auld ma and da,dont know how they sufferd the noisy partys we used to have.are you living down south,where is ian and tommy living,my brothers james charles william are all living well, pansys sister chrissie goes to the chapel every day she is an old thin woman you whould not reconise her know.goerge redmand if you remember him was shot last year and died, hope to hear from you.CALLY//////

+Quote Post
davdee
post 30th May 2009, 04:31pm
Post #8

Visitor
hiya John, Iain is in springburn ,Kenny is in Pollockshaws. I`m doon south 70 miles fae London where Alex is(camden town) , Tommy and Ina been dead for quiet a few years. Emmy died last monday,(cancer) , if it gets any mair depressing I will have enuff fur a number 1 country song laugh.gif I didnt know any the redmonds other than the boys and wan sister I think.

Iain ,Alec ,Betty and some others coming here fur funeral on thursday(emmy lived close to me)
So it will be a good swally time laugh.gif ye know wat they say....theres more fun at a scots funeral than there is at an englishmans wedding .

+Quote Post
tassiedevil
post 30th May 2009, 11:29pm
Post #9

Super Visitor
Member No.: 5,332
QUOTE (davdee @ 31st May 2009, 04:00am) *
ye know wat they say....theres more fun at a scots funeral than there is at an englishmans wedding .

I've not heard this saying before Daydee, but I just love it. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 2nd Jun 2009, 11:11am
Post #10

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
QUOTE (davdee @ 30th May 2009, 01:00pm) *
hiya John, Iain is in springburn ,Kenny is in Pollockshaws. I`m doon south 70 miles fae London where Alex is(camden town) , Tommy and Ina been dead for quiet a few years. Emmy died last monday,(cancer) , if it gets any mair depressing I will have enuff fur a number 1 country song laugh.gif I didnt know any the redmonds other than the boys and wan sister I think.

Iain ,Alec ,Betty and some others coming here fur funeral on thursday(emmy lived close to me)
So it will be a good swally time laugh.gif ye know wat they say....theres more fun at a scots funeral than there is at an englishmans wedding .

Hi Davy, Foxy here. Man, sorry to hear about your sister Emmy,Say hello to the rest of the family though. Was Emmy older than you?
The reason l am asking is one time in Ms McClures class your brother Tommy got in a fight with another guy, can't remember his name, but someone sent for the "Heidie", Mr Strathern, commonly known as "Job" maybe because he resembled a big shit. Anyhow, he came barging into the class and grab tommy, your other brother alex tried to kick Job, but then ran home and brought 2 of your older sisters. They beat the crap out of Job, before it was all over the cops were there, the class was in an uproar, it was great.
I didn't know George Redmond, but l do remember Paddy,

+Quote Post
Wee-Sprokit
post 24th May 2017, 09:37pm
Post #11

Settling In
QUOTE (davdee @ 12th May 2009, 04:34pm) *
Hiya sprokit, my names Davy Duncan, I lived at 11 killearn street ,and I remember your da and brother . his namesTam as well??. Tams about my age 56 Ithink. I havent seen Tam since I was about 19 and you were all living around blackhill by then. ....I live in the south of england now ,but still see , some Byshot residents when I visit my bros in glasgow.....do you remember john dryburgh no 2 byshot, rab davis ..no 1 I think, and john haining no 8? ...we all went to kipp school. I remember mrs mclure ,teacher and mrs clark, then there was a teacher called mcdonald who loved to boast she wasnt common and lived in bishopbriggs lol I would love to hear how your Tam is ......or was it Robert, ??? am getting auld and confuzzled .

Hiya Davy, I've found this site again after I lost contact with it for some reason, or rather this part of the site, Yes my Da's name was Tam as was my brother who was also Tam or Tommy as I called him, he was my 'wee' brother as was Robert too,, My brother Tam woulda been about 63yrs now? As Robert will be 60 in a couple of weeks,, I remember the headmaster at Keppochill School as a Mr, Strathearn,, we left Byshot st, and moved to Royston (Garngad ) in 1963 my brother Tam died in 2006 aged 51yrs. Sorry if I've wrote and answered you before Davy, but I kinda find this site quite hard to keep up with there's 'loads' more stuff going on in it from when I joined many moons ago, will really have to get back into it as it's a great wee website with loads of info,
I'm getting auld and confused tae haha Take care Luv Liz x

+Quote Post
**davdee**
post 27th Jun 2017, 06:58pm
Post #12

Hi sprokit, I don't visit this page very often myself anymore, sorry to hear about Tam, last time I saw him must have been around 1971.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.