Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Locked Topics
seamus1954
post 27th Jul 2012, 04:43am
Post #1

Lord Provost
Member No.: 13,082
General Question When does a post become locked???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Jul 2012, 06:48am
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Seamus,

There a number of reasons: when a newer topic takes over the subject of the topic, usually when there is a significant development in the news related to the topic; when the discussion becomes unproductive; sometimes, when a topic starter asks for the discussion to be closed. There are other reasons also.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
seamus1954
post 28th Jul 2012, 04:27am
Post #3

Lord Provost
Member No.: 13,082
Dear GG , thank you for the clairification when I looked it appeared that all my topics were locked thought I was in trouble there Seamus

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 28th Jul 2012, 05:28am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
You are! tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
kenb
post 28th Jul 2012, 05:53am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
nice to see you back thh tongue.gif

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 28th Jul 2012, 11:43pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Ken wink.gif
I'm never far away tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 22nd Feb 2013, 10:13pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
I must share my disappointment here.
"Pope Benedict Resigns"
Well that's another topic locked.
I'm not surprised since some folks seem to think that certain topics are there to be used as personal punch bags - rather than discussion platforms - where anything goes.
I read the last number of entries on the above mentioned locked topic and thought ~ Oh-Oh and found to my dismay that my fears were confirmed when I tried to post a request to cut out the crap before it gets shut down; too late of course.
Time magazine's new issue today had an interesting Title Page -

The Once And Future Pope

The New Politics Of The Catholic Church

I feel sure that this item may have added an additional interest to the above mentioned locked topic since new politics in the RC Church could be a direct result of the media attention over the recent scandals but I dare say the Catholics Vs Anti-Catholic monster would have raised it's ugly head again and the topic would have met it's fate one way or the other.
Sad really when the only way to make a point in a discussion topic is to have it closed down.
Raise a glass however to a victory for the button-pressers of cencorship.
Prost!

--------------------

+Quote Post
serabash
post 22nd Feb 2013, 10:49pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
thh a do hope your not calling me a monster laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Feb 2013, 12:35am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
The monster has many heads Sera - cut one off and two more take it's place.
An easy way to have a topic locked is to drop enough bait to get some members snapping leaving the moderator with no option than to close ít down before it turns into a slagging match - as happened within a short number of posts near the end of that one.
Don't allow yourself to be baited. I fell for it too and got a reprimand for that on Thursday. I should have taken a page out of my own book and thought for a minute before replying in a manner which I thought was relatively OK but was enough to either ring a bell for the moderator, or have some one pressing the report button.
GG knows the score - but unlike a God, he must stick to his own rules.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenb
post 23rd Feb 2013, 01:58am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
wot he said

very wel said tee

tongue.gif

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
serabash
post 23rd Feb 2013, 09:06am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
I understand what you are saying thh, although I find it interesting that GG sticking to his own rules removes posts but leaves the last word on the topic to be in my eyes a very rude one. I think there may be rules for some but different for others. only my opinion of course rolleyes.gif .

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Feb 2013, 11:45am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
I am not privvy to GG's thinking but perhaps the last word left on such a topic is his way of indicating that this is what lead to the topic being locked.
I imagine it can't be easy moderating a board of this size and I can also imagine; because I don't know otherwise, that GG has a day job which he must concentrate on.
To log on here after he's probably had his tea in the evening and find dozens of Red Flags from people who can't argue their corner ...
A'd be drappin' ma heid oan ma desktop in his case laugh.gif
Don't get me wrong tho', I'm not in support of cencorship nor do I know GG personally and I think he was wrong to close the topic in the light of new information which is surfacing about the possible reasons behind the Pope's resignation; granted at 85 years of age it might all just be too much for him to handle on a personal basis but he has his big team to do the graft for him, but the way the topic went at the end it was inevitable that it would be closed.

And it won't be the last!

Your opinions are valued, like those of all members; including myself I hope, but opinions should be tempered with consideration for the vast amount of oldies among the membership who might be easily offended; or less enlightened.
Martin has stated often enough that we should make more use of the "Preview Post" button which gives us the opportunity to see the post as it comes up on the topic - and see typos we've made.
On the short reply, if we click on "Options" the "Preview Post" is shown as one of them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
serabash
post 23rd Feb 2013, 05:03pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
I doubt my views are welcome thh as they continually being removed. Iit seems only the the oldies you talk about with fingers on the button have right on their side.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Feb 2013, 05:19pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
If you approach your replies with less aggression and a bit more thought then you're leaving it up to the others to be aggressive ... and you can push the button - if you've a mind to. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
serabash
post 23rd Feb 2013, 05:37pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
sorry I didn't realise I was being aggresive , must be because I am my daddies daughter I don't see it.
on the button, that's just not my style I will leave that for those that feel unable to post their thoughts on the threads.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th Dec 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.