Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hate Thatcher? You Must Be Thick!, Budding Tory MSP hits the headlines
GG
post 7th Oct 2010, 10:04pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow businessman and prominent Tory backer Ivor Tiefenbrun earlier this week caused quite a bit of fuss after he made controversial remarks claiming that Scots were "thick" because they hated Margaret Thatcher. Mr Tiefenbrun also claimed that Baroness Thatcher had, in his oipinion, "saved Scotland's cities", broken the "corrupt power" of the trade unions, and changed society for the better by "enabling people to buy their own homes".

Speaking in an interview with The Scotsman newspaper on Tuesday, Mr Tiefenbrun said:
"The way Labour work is that they have demonised Thatcher as if she was an evil force. It's only because Scots are so thick that this was swallowed."

The budding politician then added:
"Margaret Thatcher saved our cities. She broke the power of the corrupt trade unions. She enabled people to buy their own homes and we can contrast that with what the Labour governments did in harming the economy and increasing taxation and debt."

Labour has debased life in Scotland in the name of class hatred and people think that the only way to solve a problem is to throw money at it.

We have to look at the education system and ask if we have got too many teachers."

At the time of his remarks – made during the Conservative Party conference – Mr Tiefenbrun was the prospective Tory candidate for Glasgow Maryhill and Springburn.

Commenting on Mr Tiefenbrun's remarks, Patrick Harvie, Green Party MSP for Glasgow, said:
"Scotland's decision to reject Thatcher and all her works should be seen as a sign of collective wisdom. It's no wonder Cameron's Conservatives still struggle here when their candidates make numpty comments like this. The Tories should deselect Mr Tiefenbrun forthwith and pick a candidate who can open his mouth without insulting his electorate."

Mr Tiefenbrun 'volunteered' to resign as a candidate for the country's poorest constituency the next day.

Attached Image

Glasgow Springburn and Maryhill, where Mr Tiefenbrun will not be the next MSP

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 7th Oct 2010, 10:34pm
Post #2

I think Margaret Thatcher was missunderstood .... mind you I also thought I saw Elvis on Shergar at Ayr races recently smile.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Oct 2010, 10:36pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
What's in a name? Just as a matter of interest Tiefenbrun could be translated as deep trough, from Old Germanic, so I guess he could lead a horse to water but ...

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
RonD
post 7th Oct 2010, 10:55pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
What kind of strong language is that? "Do You Hate the Tories?" Do we need that type of polarization. Wouldn't have been better to say would you vote for the Tories? or something along that line. The first question sounds like a headline for a Tabloid that is bent on being inflammatory. !

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Macbeast
post 7th Oct 2010, 10:55pm
Post #5

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,656
Doesn't it mean " In deep shit " ?

+Quote Post
Macbeast
post 7th Oct 2010, 11:01pm
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,656
What kind of strong language is that? "Do You Hate the Tories?"

I agree. The poll should have been " Are Scots thick " or " Is Tiefenbrun a wally ? "

And he didn't say Scots were thick because they hate Thatcher, he said they were thick because they swallowed Labour propaganda.

+Quote Post
Jazzsaxman
post 7th Oct 2010, 11:51pm
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 8,324
I hate all politicians. Only in it to line thier own pockets these days. Have we forgotten about the expenses scandal already.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 8th Oct 2010, 12:27am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
This is one of the problems we have in the UK as I've just posted on 'Ed's the ed boy' thread
We are still very much an 'Us & Them' society as are our 2 major political parties are 'Us & Them'I think the vote will come out for: Yes - hate for Tories and if you asked Southern English counties if they hated 'Labour it would be yes, even more if you said despise.

The English upper class still see 'England' as Britain and have contempt for Scotland/Wales/Ireland......indeed I would even say the North of England also

+Quote Post
campsie
post 8th Oct 2010, 12:52am
Post #9

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
QUOTE (RonD @ 7th Oct 2010, 11:51pm) *
What kind of strong language is that? "Do You Hate the Tories?" Do we need that type of polarization. Wouldn't have been better to say would you vote for the Tories? or something along that line. The first question sounds like a headline for a Tabloid that is bent on being inflammatory.

I agree with you RonD I found Mr Tiefenbrun's remark about Scots being thick insulting I also think asking people to vote using the word HATE in this instance inapropiate.

This country is in deep trouble and Tony Blair and his cabinet did not inherit what this present goverment has been left to clear up. There are hard times ahead for most people and yes the goverment is going to get some things wrong but they have to start somewhere at least they are trying.
I have voted for different parties in my life time, always for whatever party I think will put this countries interests first be that Labour, Liberal, or Tory. How I wish John Smith had not died and become Prime Minister for he I think had the makings of a great statesman and he was a GENTLEMAN, something Mr Blair will never be.

+Quote Post
jamie cee
post 8th Oct 2010, 01:52am
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,740
QUOTE (Jazzsaxman @ 8th Oct 2010, 12:47am) *
I hate all politicians. Only in it to line thier own pockets these days. Have we forgotten about the expenses scandal already.

no your right they are all the same greedy selfish liars that cant understand they are the reason this country is in the mess its in and only we the people will suffer to get it back on track with our hard earned cash high taxes and low income the common people who fight and work for this country and always have and will tories just use the scottish people for new laws that change our way of life if it doesnt work here they dont use it in england as we dont vote for them any way so what do they care about us always been like that always will be like that

+Quote Post
don.stuart
post 8th Oct 2010, 03:32am
Post #11

Settling In
Member No.: 6,063
Thatcher was what I dislike and detest in snobby upper class English Tory politicians as she saw herself. She made millions for herself and for her fugitive son, while doing a hatchet job on the miners and creating a class of youngsters who don't know what it is to have a job. Blair is probably worse. He took his country to war following that cretin Geo Bush against everyones advice, except the USA. He lied and cheated and yet still has time to make his millions while costing his country Billions. No wonder Britain is on the slippery slope.Heah heah!

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 8th Oct 2010, 04:00am
Post #12

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
Can anyone in their right mind even LIKE a politician? Jazzsaxman has it very correct in his statement that they are only in it for what they can get out of it! It's the same no matter where one lives.

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”

+Quote Post
Mike Docherty
post 8th Oct 2010, 05:20am
Post #13

Visitor
Member No.: 5,607
It is common knowledge that in the ancient Celtic tongue the name 'Thatcher' translates as 'The Spawn of Beelzebub'. Seriously...

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Oct 2010, 06:53am
Post #14

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (RonD @ 7th Oct 2010, 11:51pm) *
What kind of strong language is that? "Do You Hate the Tories?" Do we need that type of polarization. Wouldn't have been better to say would you vote for the Tories? or something along that line. The first question sounds like a headline for a Tabloid that is bent on being inflammatory. !

A fair point, Ron, however, it's my hope that we can gauge the opinion of these boards on this subject prior to a certain event later this month.

Also, the former candidate's assertions are themselves fairly inflammatory, especially when viewed in the context of him campaigning in a constituency where many, many thousands of jobs were wiped out during the Tory governments of the eighties. One example: in 1986, St Rollox Locomotive Works closed with the loss of 1600 jobs when most of the heavy repair work was transferred to England.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
greta
post 8th Oct 2010, 07:12am
Post #15

Settling In
Member No.: 6,565
I think living in Scotland, during thatchers reign you would have had to have been thick to have liked her. She used Scotland as a testing ground for her policies for the simple reason that she knew we didnt have the numbers to vote her out. Do I hate thatcher, the answer is of course, and so should any sane minded Scot who lived through her intolerant government. P.S. Dont think much of that rabble thats in charge down there just now either.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.