Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Burnhouse Street, Maryhill, Anybody grow up there in the 50s/60s
Isobel
post 12th May 2005, 02:58am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Hi Joanne I had a friend called Mary Docherty who lived in that area .She also lived in Drumchapel and now in Milngavie. She had a sister called Theresa and a brother called Joe. Do you think it might be her .

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
winnie.d
post 13th May 2005, 05:20am
Post #17

Settling In
Member No.: 1,962
Hi Tom
Thanks for the picture. My house is right there in the middle top flat.
Winnie.d

+Quote Post
*Chris Lindsay*
post 7th Dec 2005, 11:19am
Post #18

hi there im currently living in the wyndford but my family are from the "VALLEY" sadly most of collina street and burnhouse street are gone as is stirrat street and soon niven street . the old gairbraid school is gone to this place has really gone down hiil the past few years

+Quote Post
*Chris Lindsay*
post 7th Dec 2005, 11:20am
Post #19

hi there im currently living in the wyndford but my family are from the "VALLEY" sadly most of collina street and burnhouse street are gone as is stirrat street and soon niven street . the old gairbraid school is gone to this place has really gone down hiil the past few years

+Quote Post
Rebecca
post 8th Dec 2005, 01:20am
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,694
Hi, I together with my brother and sister lived on Burnhouse St. My brother continued living there after he got married. My mother and father moved there in 1935 after they got married.My mother lived there until the tenement was condemned and she moved into the barracks. I lived there until I got married in 1960

+Quote Post
andypiscesagain
post 8th Dec 2005, 02:44am
Post #21

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,620
Welcome rebecca, lots of maryhill folk in this group. I am from queens cross myself. check out the maryhill topics and who knows you may know someone.....andy

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 3rd Feb 2006, 10:24pm
Post #22

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
Howzit Gaun! I lived in Collina St from 1947 till about 1956. I lived in a prefab at 8 Collina St. Now long gone. I went to Gairbraid School, also now gone. Dont want to be boring but I wrote a wee story of my childhood there and its on www.ourglasgowstory. along with lots of other ordinary folks stories. I and my brothers used to be 'babysitted' by the Donnelly sisters, Anna and Mary. They lived just across the road. I remember Jack the grocers shop round the corner in Burnhouse St with very fond memories. Sibbalds the fruit shop in Gairbraid Ave. Happy days!
Alex

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 4th Feb 2006, 12:29am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
Hi Alex nice to have you on board we are a great bunch here I came from Guthrie St,along Gairbraid Ave ,I remember Sibalds,and wee Tommys Dairy ,it wasnt his but that ,s what evryone called it,then how about Franks on Guthrie St ? and the fish shop across from the baths and the steamie,there was a wee dairyon Gairbraid Ave it slod hot pies and peas at lunch time ,and there was a wee buthchers next doo,there is a few posts on the board about Maryhill and some people who lived in Burnhouse St have also posted ,enjoy the board biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 4th Feb 2006, 05:26pm
Post #24

City Key Holder
Hi Mags. I remember the chip shop well. Thats where I acquired my taste for pie suppers! I seem to remember a shop on the same side as the chippie, on the corner of Gairbraid Ave and Burnhouse St. Was it no a wee Cochranes? I remember the shop well 'cos a got a skelpt bum from my ma. She sent me down for a bag of broken biscuits, on the way home I got delved into the bag. My ma didn't believe me when I said that was all I got. So I got a skelpt bum and put to bed!MyAunt Mary lived in Dick St , way down Maryhill Rd. She used to shove her pram to the steamie. She often came round to the prefab and had a cup of tea with my ma before walking home. Hope you'll read my wee story on the other site.
Alex

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 6th Feb 2006, 01:50am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
noo youve done it Alex am going to the wee store up in Wilton there is a wee store that sells all kinds i Scottish goodies a so Iam going to have my self a pie supper wae pickled onions as well there tongue.gif
I will also get some peas,a can of hienz tomato soup maybe a wee penguin biscit,and a tunnocks carmel wafer,she might hiv some snoballs or a macaroon bar noo youve done it ,am aff ma diet [again]

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 6th Feb 2006, 06:54pm
Post #26

City Key Holder
Well, Mags, if your aff the diet, jist blame me. Am the eldest in my family and ma da blamed me fur everything. So a can handle it. ENJOY!!
Alex

+Quote Post
*tina clark*
post 11th Nov 2007, 02:03pm
Post #27

i know this is a long shot but for the last couple of years iv been trying to trace my late father william g clarks sister he lost touch with her in the late 60s ( i think ). her name was mary mcgovern clark she was born at 67 burnhouse st (her grandparents home ) in 1933 any help would be great

+Quote Post
*tina CLARK*
post 17th Nov 2007, 10:35am
Post #28

i was wondering if anyone could give me info on burnhouse st iv been trying to find my late fathers family who he lost touch with in the 60s iv so far discovered he has /had a sister called mary who was born in 1933 at 67 burnhouse st glasgow this was hwe grandparents home as far as i can make out the grandparents surname was gilmour any info on the area or family would be interesting as i never knew my fathers family and he never soke about his life before he met my mum

+Quote Post
ScubaNurse
post 1st Jan 2008, 06:56pm
Post #29

Visitor
Member No.: 5,262
Hi,

I lived on Kelvindale Road - right beside Gairbraid primary school. What school did your husband attend?

Catherine smile.gif

I'm now in the US

+Quote Post
*Guest tina **
post 11th Jan 2008, 05:39pm
Post #30

QUOTE (tina clark @ 11th Nov 2007, 02:10 PM) *
i know this is a long shot but for the last couple of years iv been trying to trace my late father william g clarks sister he lost touch with her in the late 60s ( i think ). her name was mary mcgovern clark she was born at 67 burnhouse st (her grandparents home ) in 1933 any help would be great

thought i would try reposting this request with a few other things iv found out as someone out there must have known my fathers family iv discovered my dad was born in craigmont st maryhill in 1934 his father died in 1968 he was living in clouston st maryhill his name was allan clark thanks

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.