Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eveline Street, Any body...
Oor Wullie
post 3rd Apr 2007, 01:06am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
...know where it is / was ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 3rd Apr 2007, 03:35am
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 318
Wullie....a lot of years ago we had friends in Dennistoun. For some reason I think I remember seeing Eveline Street there, think being the key word. I've a street map from the eighties and can't find it there so maybe I'm all wet....or it's another old street that's gone. Maybe The Mitchell Library will offer some help?

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
Java
post 3rd Apr 2007, 04:36am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Hi Wullie,

I have a ninth edition of the official guide to Glasgow (sorry dont know the year, but it cost a shilling biggrin.gif) and it shows Eveline Street east of the Necropolis coming off Ark Lane...see attached...
Attached Image

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 3rd Apr 2007, 06:13am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
Many thanks to both cb and Java.

Java's map was particularly helpful and confirms that Eveline Street was, indeed, in Dennistoun .

The street appears within the Dennistoun area on my map of 1894 Glasgow, but is not named.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 3rd Apr 2007, 10:49am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Hi Oor Wullie,

We had a 2 room and kitchen at 92 Eveline Street, Dennistoun when we got married at first. It ran across the top of Dunchatten Street which was off Duke Street (it was a dead end to the left and went up to Cardross Street to the right). We stayed there from 1969-1971 before moving down to the south of England.

I haven't been back to that area since but believe that it was demolished in the mid 70's.

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Jonathan Laird*
post 1st May 2015, 10:37am
Post #6

Many years ago a young woman called Isabella Miller (prev. Edgar) lived at 86 Evline Street in Dennistoun. She worked in a local Travel Agency and she had an affair with an African Student who fathered a child with her. This was during the early-mid 1960's and no doubt would have caused a bit of a scandal in the area. A good Glasgow girl with a wee black baby.

I was that child.

Never new my mother or father. Isabella adopted me into a loving family from Motherwell. My efforts to trace her have so far been futile.

If anyone remembers anything about this lady I would appreciate an email. jonnytrex@yahoo.co.uk or jonnytrex.jl@gmail.com

MANY THANKS
Wee Jonny.

+Quote Post
**chris**
post 29th May 2015, 01:37pm
Post #7

Just browsing and came across these posts. My granddad was born at 86 Evelyn Street, in 1906, think this must be the same one. He was William Mann Gauld. Other relatives lived in Fisher Street. I think George Gauld lived in Evelyn Street until he died?

Anyone know of Gauld's in Springburn?

+Quote Post
*Robin Dickson*
post 19th Apr 2016, 10:26am
Post #8

I was born in a single end at 92 Eveline Street on the 13th June (Friday) in 1958. My brother Keith was born there on the 29th December 1956. On both our birth certificates it was specified 'in the burgh of Denniston. My Uncle Sandy and Aunt Betty lived in 92 as well. We moved to Johnstone as part of the overspill in 1960 where my 2 younger siblings were born. We all moved away. My brothers all live in or around London, and I buggered off and after many years ended up in Montreal. Go figure.

+Quote Post
Coliboy
post 8th Mar 2017, 01:16am
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,598
**chris** I see it's been a while since the last posts in this topic but would Willliam Mann Gauld be any relation to an Isa Gauld who lived in Eveline St 50's/60's.
She was friends with my Aunt and my Mother, I think they attended the Women's Guild together.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.