Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reginald Secker - Does Anyone Know Him?, WWII first communion remembrance card
the brauns
post 3rd Feb 2009, 10:25pm
Post #1

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,882
Reginald Secker, where are you?

I've recently found a first communion remembrance card in my Dad's WWII service envelope. The envelope held his service passport and has his number and his 4th Hussars unit written on it. Inside was a remembrance card with a picture of the Last Supper on one side and the "souvenir of the first holy communion and confirmation of Reginald Secker. In the Chapel of The Sisters of Menzingen Munchwilen Switzerland 9 July 1944. "

I have overlooked this card countless times during the years since my Dad's death. This card was printed in Switzerland and has been carefully stored away by my Dad ever since then. Now I am trying to find out who Reginald Secker is.

My Dad, a Scotsman, escaped Italy to Switzerland in Sept 1944 with a South African, and two Englishmen. I can't think of who Reginald Secker would be or why my Dad would have his card. Was he a child or an adult who converted to Catholicism.

Does anyone have a similar remembrance of this event? Quite a mystery......
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratson
post 3rd Feb 2009, 10:55pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Hi,
how very interesting, from another point of view I am assuming this was given to your Dad fromthis child or his family in remembrance of his first Holy Communion . Many soldiers in W.W.11 were befriended by families in the country they were stationed.

An idea would be to find a Swiss Daily Newspaper, write your story to the editor, he may well publish and seek Reginald Secker, alternately you could place an add in the Personal section yourself. Reginald Secker may well hold this event as a dear memory. Good Luck.x

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
the brauns
post 4th Feb 2009, 12:06am
Post #3

Super Lord Provost
Hi Stratson, I imagine it was given to my Dad sometime after the event when he escaped to Switzerland. I know he made some friends when he stayed with a family there and have two names on pictures, but they are not Secker. A young boy with an accordian's picture has "much love from your friend, Eugen" on the back which I have been able to translate from German. Another of a young woman says "Your friend Aupirette Obiebaud 1944" (or as it states "tier amiccalement Aupirette Obiebaud".

All this has piqued my interest to say the least. I would love to find Reginald.

I have tried emailing the Sisters but I think my "English" might have gotten in the way. I suppose they speak German or Italian.

I am looking for someone to translate my email into another language and will try again if I find someone. Perhaps a letter to the editor of a paper in Munchwilen might be another way to try.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

To make matters even MORE interesting, the envelope also included a prayer card of St. Rita of Cascia, who I believe is the patron saint of lost causes.

+Quote Post
the brauns
post 14th Feb 2009, 04:35pm
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
I have since learned that the lady's name is not Aupirette but Au Pirette. The Au being a noun. You can tell I don't know French well wub.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 17th Feb 2009, 10:12pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
if you send me what info you have or what you want translating I'll See what I can Do. I also have a friend who might be able to check out the french name, she is some kind of Govt worker so would be a help although French names are also common on the swiss side of the french borders as borders were subject to change around here in the distant pass. The french on the Rhein area have difficulty even today in. knowing who they are.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
*Secker*
post 4th Mar 2015, 12:44pm
Post #6

The name Secker comes from Littleport UK, probably a reference to 'Sacker' which was an occupation.. Reginald Secker is on the war memorial in St Ives square as he died in WWI, however his son was also called Reginald Secker (my grandfather) and emigrated to New Zealand with his mother after WWI.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.