Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cheapside Docks Fire, Glasgow Heroes
CAT
post 8th May 2013, 11:18am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
I don't remember this fire as it was before I was born but I do remember the fire in Kilbirnie Street which claimed the lives of 7 firemen. One of which was my sisters friends husband. They had both married firemen and both had young children. Although I was only 7 at the time I remember it having a lasting effect as I grew up. Her friend and her husband had a fire brigade flat at govan fire station and from what I can remember 4 or 5 of them lived in that building.
I have always had the greatest respect and admiration not only for the firemen but also their families who know every time they go to work the are risking their lives.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guvin Boay*
post 9th May 2013, 08:34am
Post #32

I was coming back from the Plaza in Govan and came back down Water Row to go hame along the bank of the Clyde behind Harland's. I dont need to close my eyes to see the flames. It is always in my memory. It was a tragedy that hurt all of Glasgow.

+Quote Post
SteveH
post 25th Jul 2014, 06:31pm
Post #33

Settling In
Member No.: 26,354
I lived in Ruchazie at the time of the fire, in a block of 8 fire houses, I was 12 and remember waking up in the night, hearing noises, when I got up I found my mum and all the other wives sitting on our veranda, all very quiet, you could feel the strain, mum told me that my dad and the other off duty men had gone to Cheapside , I also remember the red sky over the city even from Ruchazie. We were all lucky nobody in the block got hurt, but , my mother was never the same. I remember some names from my childhood, Archie Darroch,Jimmy Miller and Jimmy Boyle. Remembering the heroes.........

+Quote Post
*Guvin Wullie*
post 26th Jul 2014, 02:48am
Post #34

QUOTE (SteveH @ 25th Jul 2014, 06:48pm) *
I lived in Ruchazie at the time of the fire, in a block of 8 fire houses, I was 12 and remember waking up in the night, hearing noises, when I got up I found my mum and all the other wives sitting on our veranda, all very quiet, you could feel the strain, mum told me that my dad and the other off duty men had gone to Cheapside , I also remember the red sky over the city even from Ruchazie. We were all lucky nobody in the block got hurt, but , my mother was never the same. I remember some names from my childhood, Archie Darroch,Jimmy Miller and Jimmy Boyle. Remembering the heroes.........

I have been away for many years now, but was any memorial erected to these Glasgow heroes???

+Quote Post
GG
post 25th Aug 2014, 11:10pm
Post #35

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Wreaths laid in Glasgow to Kilbirnie Street fire dead

Seven firefighters who perished in a warehouse blaze in Glasgow have been remembered in a wreath-laying service in Glasgow.

The ceremony - on the 42nd anniversary of the Kilbirnie Street fire - was held at a memorial for the fireman in the city's Necropolis.

The fire took place at the Sher Brothers' cash and carry warehouse.

The Glasgow Fire Service members were killed as they attempted to rescue a trapped colleague.

During the operation they were engulfed by a flashover - a burst of flame and intense heat up to 1,000 degrees.

The wreath-laying ceremony in their memory was held at the Necropolis memorial at 11:00.

In addition to family and friends of the fallen firefighters, the service was attended by representatives from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, Glasgow City Council, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Heritage Trust, Family Support Trust and Retired Employees Association.

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-28925902

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
flam
post 26th Aug 2014, 07:37am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Remember it, I also believe that three/four young boys died in the canal at Clydebank that day on a makeshift raft of some kind.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 26th Aug 2014, 12:32pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
My Uncle attended the fire and a friend lost his Dad.

I have been to the Grave in the Necropolis .!

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
SteveH
post 29th Aug 2014, 10:13am
Post #38

Settling In
QUOTE (Guvin Wullie @ 26th Jul 2014, 04:05am) *
I have been away for many years now, but was any memorial erected to these Glasgow heroes???

Hi Guvin Wullie, I lived in Govan for a few years, early 50s in the Fire Station there.

Yes there is a memorial, and they are remembered. also the Kilbirnie fire, and a statue in the city centre for all firemen.

The link below is to the Scottish Fire Heritage Group, well worth a visit.

http://www.ayeready.org/

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
SteveH
post 29th Aug 2014, 11:28am
Post #39

Settling In
QUOTE (GG @ 26th Aug 2014, 12:27am) *

Sorry the Kilbirnie St. memourial photo posted before is to small, here is a better one, I hope

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.